USHL / USNTDP vs. OHL/CHL - NCAA Eligibility

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
You think John Molson School of business, McGill medicine, McGill Law, etc are all less prestigious than the same degree from Chatham for example?
Do you think that the typical HR person anywhere outside of the US has ever heard of your US schools other than the Ivy ones?

I mean im not gonna get in a pissing match with you but first off none of those schools hold a candle to the US top business/law/med schools. Find me anywhere that ranks one of those schools ahead of Yale/Harvard/Princeton/Columbia...And for the vast majority of people who don't go to the country's top business/med/law schools, the entire US college system as a whole is far more prestigious than Canada's. And yeah I would be pretty surprised if people in Canada had never heard of University of Michigan, Ohio State, USC.

Reactions: Lo97

e14

Feb 14, 2018
What is not expensive to you? With the exception of the Ivy schools where there is no free ride, you are paying alot. With a roster of 25 players where 8 are free rides, either 17 kids have to pay full tuition or 25 kids will split the cost of 17 full tuitions.

You think John Molson School of business, McGill medicine, McGill Law, etc are all less prestigious than the same degree from Chatham for example?
Do you think that the typical HR person anywhere outside of the US has ever heard of your US schools other than the Ivy ones?

Agreed, and who takes anything other then General Businees degree at NCAA? most kids can't manage anything else because engineering or anything in science is way too demanding while playing hockey. In the end, a general business degree won't mean more from any NCAA compared with degree from Canadian U and certainly not after 1 or two years in the work force... no one cares where you went to school at that point only what work experience you have. I agree that a few NCAA school reputations may open a door or two when you are starting your career but it won't take long before it's all meaningless. In the end most kids are making a hockey decision. don't kid yourselves, if you are making a school decision step 1 should be to quit hockey and focus on school. For some, the right hockey decision is NCAA to get a longer dev path but very few players take the NCAA general business degree route because they always dreamed of having a business degree!

Reactions: sharknado

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
Agreed, and who takes anything other then General Businees degree at NCAA? most kids can't manage anything else because engineering or anything in science is way too demanding while playing hockey. In the end, a general business degree won't mean more from any NCAA compared with degree from Canadian U and certainly not after 1 or two years in the work force... no one cares where you went to school at that point only what work experience you have. I agree that a few NCAA school reputations may open a door or two when you are starting your career but it won't take long before it's all meaningless. In the end most kids are making a hockey decision. don't kid yourselves, if you are making a school decision step 1 should be to quit hockey and focus on school. For some, the right hockey decision is NCAA to get a longer dev path but very few players take the NCAA general business degree route because they always dreamed of having a business degree!

Completely agree. And after their commitment time is over, most kids go back to the country they came from and finish their schooling. Hence my original point -> if CIS would market their own program properly, it would prevent most of those kids from ever leaving. Let's face it, 99% of them who leave end up coming back to get their degree and 100% of them is making a hockey decision as you said. By the time the Canadian kid comes back and finishes his degree, he has maybe 7 years of a full salary and no school loan debt by the time the US kid has paid off his school loan and has started to work. From what I understand, once the comittment time is over, it's full price for that kid.

Reactions: e14

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
Hello Everone,

This is a great idea to develop 15 and 16 years old kid nationally as we are falling behind compared the Fins and Americans. Add some marketing name, we should call it the National Development Academy, have the kids play against junior B levels. Then, when they turn 17, they can decide to go the CHL , NCAA, or Swiss Elite route. We are falling behind in terms of developing players ' skating and puck carrying skills. Marketing baits are that this does not affect CHL teams( 16 years old play very limited minutes), having the best professional trainers and skill development coaches.

It is time, let 's tweet, post on facebook, push the idea out there. Thank you for supporting Canadian Skill Development and Advancement System

Bob McDevitt

Apr 8, 2020
Could someone explain the OHL rule which makes a player whose father previously played in the league eligible to be drafted even if he is outside the OHL's drafting area. Also, do all three leagues, OHL, WHL and QHJML, have the same rule.?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad