USFL 2022: The next great chapter of spring football

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
That's the Rock's XFL. Not Vince's XFL.
That's right. Even though they were still interested despite the ratings for the McMahon owned league

Still makes me wonder if their delayed launched influenced them to align with the Spring League hence spawning this new USFL

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That's right. Even though they were still interested despite the ratings for the McMahon owned league

Still makes me wonder if their delayed launched influenced them to align with the Spring League hence spawning this new USFL

This is also only, like, a 7-week season including the championship, and also running in May-June, filling time with content. The XFL was February through May. Spring League has also been a lot of late nights, and weeknights, including airing against Smackdown on Fridays, and zero Sundays. I don't know what the ratings are, but it's not the same thing. Vince would not have went for this schedule.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The few XFL games I caught weren't actually that bad. I was mildly entertained.

But anyways. Kind of weird we've had like 2 or 3 spring leagues pop up like this in recent years after not much in that area the last 30 years.

Sep 19, 2008
USFL 1.0 would have been fine if a certain greedy owner didn’t talk other idiots into moving it to fall out of wanting to attack the NFL for his own interests. Everyone’s been chasing that initial USFL success since.
Yep. It was doing well and was stocked with talent.

People forget Jim Kelly, Flutie of course, and Steve Young are USFL alumni. Trump basically wanted them to compete directly with the NFL so he moved the season to fall. Good documentary on this which I'll get around to watching soon.

Sep 19, 2008
The few XFL games I caught weren't actually that bad. I was mildly entertained.

But anyways. Kind of weird we've had like 2 or 3 spring leagues pop up like this in recent years after not much in that area the last 30 years.
The demand is high

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Yep. It was doing well and was stocked with talent.

People forget Jim Kelly, Flutie of course, and Steve Young are USFL alumni. Trump basically wanted them to compete directly with the NFL so he moved the season to fall. Good documentary on this which I'll get around to watching soon.
The one big mistake they made without Trump was expanding.

Had they kept up in spring and kept picking off NFL draft picks they would have been more viable.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
The one big mistake they made without Trump was expanding.

Had they kept up in spring and kept picking off NFL draft picks they would have been more viable.

That must be why almost every team relocated multiple times and players were often lucky when their paychecks didn't bounce.

It was going to fail, Trump or not, they managed to steal good talent from the NFL by overpaying guys, which would have worked if they actually were drawing big crowds, but the avg attendance ranged between 22-25K over the 3 years, that is not sustainable when trying to pay NFL type contracts

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That must be why almost every team relocated multiple times and players were often lucky when their paychecks didn't bounce.

It was going to fail, Trump or not, they managed to steal good talent from the NFL by overpaying guys, which would have worked if they actually were drawing big crowds, but the avg attendance ranged between 22-25K over the 3 years, that is not sustainable when trying to pay NFL type contracts

Their end game was still going to end up being the same as it was in the ABA and WHA once they realized they were going to run out of money - hang around long enough to force a merger. Imagine if they could've waited out until the '87 strike.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i have a feeling this will end up like the AAF or whatever it was called

plus, isn't the XFL supposed to relaunch soon too? there's no way two spring football leagues will work

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
i have a feeling this will end up like the AAF or whatever it was called

plus, isn't the XFL supposed to relaunch soon too? there's no way two spring football leagues will work
I agree. Only need 1 spring league. Consolidate resources and pick the best markets. Ideally if possible when they begin to play in their home state in the future to use an MLS stadium if available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad