Usantdp

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
It's tough but you do see it quite a bit. Not uncommon for guys from high end D-III programs to start out in the Central Hockey League or IHL and move up to the ECHL and even AHL after that for cups of coffee. Some will go play over in Europe, or the SPHL here which, is pretty low level. Very, very rare to go from D-III to the AHL. It's happened, but very uncommon.

So is what you're saying, That if you're in D-III or ACHA D-I Theres no chance of playing professionally? Or youll just get overlooked. I mean you also have to look at the players family, not evwryone in D-I gets a full ride to come play hockey, maybe D-III was all they could afford. Not saying D-III is cheap by any means just saying the family might not have been able to afford to have their child living on campus at a D-I school, plus meals, gas, etc.. Thats close to $40-50k a year. From what ive heard ECHL does take a lot of D-III and ACHA D-I players but the conversion rate of echl-ahl is very low anyway, is this true?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
So is what you're saying, That if you're in D-III or ACHA D-I Theres no chance of playing professionally? Or youll just get overlooked. I mean you also have to look at the players family, not evwryone in D-I gets a full ride to come play hockey, maybe D-III was all they could afford. Not saying D-III is cheap by any means just saying the family might not have been able to afford to have their child living on campus at a D-I school, plus meals, gas, etc.. Thats close to $40-50k a year. From what ive heard ECHL does take a lot of D-III and ACHA D-I players but the conversion rate of echl-ahl is very low anyway, is this true?

No where did I say that. I was very clear in saying that some do go on to play pro, especially from D-III. That said, those who do make it usually start out at the lower levels (CHL, IHL, SPHL, sometimes ECHL) and generally don't advance past there other than maybe a few games in an AHL call up. That's rare, but does happen on occasion.

Also worth noting that many D-III schools are private, and actually cost more to go to than state schools, even with out-of-state tuition. On the other side of the coin, those private schools also often have a lot of grant and scholarship money available to off-set costs. Just have to do the research and find out what's the best fit. Truthfully, you're looking really far ahead and should just concentrate on where you're going to play next season and doing the research to find out what colleges are the best fit academically and financially so you can start figuring out options once it comes time to consider going to school and where to go. One step at a time.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012

D-III can get you into the low minors. D1 club can get you into the FHL (you don't want to play there) don't even consider it. But yea, this is very far down the road for you. Focus on your midget career and see where that goes.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
D-III can get you into the low minors. D1 club can get you into the FHL (you don't want to play there) don't even consider it. But yea, this is very far down the road for you. Focus on your midget career and see where that goes.

Exactly. One step at a time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad