Usantdp

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
There's district camps depending on where you live. You tryout and they select the best kids and the list just keeps getting smaller and smaller.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
There's district camps depending on where you live. You tryout and they select the best kids and the list just keeps getting smaller and smaller.

Do you know anything about these camps, I know it's still pretty early but I can't seem to find any information

change on the fly

Mar 25, 2014
midwest
If you're in Central district, as it seems you are, you start by going to your USA Hockey website and find out about their select camps. From there, for certain birthyears, they select teams to go to festivals or another camp to play the other districts, from there they'll make that list smaller and smaller.....if you haven't been approached by now, and from your threads it seems like you are just trying to get into AAA, then its a long road. I'm sure I'm missing some steps and maybe someone can chime in to add.

Many, if not all, of the kids on these USA Hockey teams are already committed to D-I in one form or another or have been part of the USA Hockey process for years. Go out and find the information and give it your best shot!

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
If you're in Central district, as it seems you are, you start by going to your USA Hockey website and find out about their select camps. From there, for certain birthyears, they select teams to go to festivals or another camp to play the other districts, from there they'll make that list smaller and smaller.....if you haven't been approached by now, and from your threads it seems like you are just trying to get into AAA, then its a long road. I'm sure I'm missing some steps and maybe someone can chime in to add.

Many, if not all, of the kids on these USA Hockey teams are already committed to D-I in one form or another or have been part of the USA Hockey process for years. Go out and find the information and give it your best shot!

I know I'm really behind, but the main reason I haven't been able to play aaa, or anything is the money. Abd since my father recently received a promotion we have a lot more money to work with. My skill is there, just not the experience of being at the aaa level.

change on the fly

Mar 25, 2014
midwest
Says you're in Chicago so maybe you can fill in or squeeze into the USHL combines. I know they are soon but sometimes they are short players at the last minute. See if you can get in and then it's all up to you to show yourself. Getting a late start isn't the end, it just put you behind. Good Luck

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
USHL Combine Dates:
1998"s - April 24-27
96 & 97 - May 1-4,
99 & 00 - july 29-August 1
Arctic Ice Arena, Orland Park, Ill

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
Says you're in Chicago so maybe you can fill in or squeeze into the USHL combines. I know they are soon but sometimes they are short players at the last minute. See if you can get in and then it's all up to you to show yourself. Getting a late start isn't the end, it just put you behind. Good Luck

I already signed up. We'll see how that ends up. Hard(mod edit)trying to do everything later than everyone else. Kinda hit me later than everyone else that I really want ti Play hockey professionally, or at least semi professionally. The work ethic came alOng with it. I'm in the gym 2 hours a day and when I'm not in the gym I'm watching hockey or playing hockey.Its hard(mod edit)trying to make a name for yourself after all the kids who've been doing this for a couple years now...

Last edited by a moderator:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I already signed up. We'll see how that ends up. Hard(mod edit)trying to do everything later than everyone else. Kinda hit me later than everyone else that I really want ti Play hockey professionally, or at least semi professionally. The work ethic came alOng with it. I'm in the gym 2 hours a day and when I'm not in the gym I'm watching hockey or playing hockey.Its hard(mod edit)trying to make a name for yourself after all the kids who've been doing this for a couple years now...

How old are you? i hope, you will not lost your passion. If you will make it, it will be a good story.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
Moneys right right now so I'm trying to get as far as I can without sending my family into debt. Aaa is really the only option in Chicago. All the AA teams around here don't take hockey seriously.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Moneys right right now so I'm trying to get as far as I can without sending my family into debt. Aaa is really the only option in Chicago. All the AA teams around here don't take hockey seriously.

It's taken seriously, but it is what it is; AA hockey. It's a tier below AAA and the talent and hockey matches that. Nothing more, nothing less.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
It's taken seriously, but it is what it is; AA hockey. It's a tier below AAA and the talent and hockey matches that. Nothing more, nothing less.

In my honest opinion the only program that has a chance competing with aaa is the sabres. But their u16 team is garbage, and their u18 team is a hell of a team to make

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
Quite a lot if you want to make it pro. But i think Jay Bouwmeester started with ice-hockey when he was 14. So everything is possible.

I dont know about NHL right now but im at least trying to get D1 college. However I have to get there ill do it. Haha

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
In my honest opinion the only program that has a chance competing with aaa is the sabres. But their u16 team is garbage, and their u18 team is a hell of a team to make

Doesn't mean it's not taken seriously, though. Those programs are AA/Tier II for a reason; because the talent level isn't the same. Being less talented and not taking hockey seriously are two different things. They're AA because they're AA. Kinda like saying the AHL doesn't take hockey seriously because they're not as good as the NHL. Take it every bit as seriously, the talent gap is just that much different and there are two different league and distinctions for a reason.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Well Tier 1 does give you more exposure to USHL and other scouts especially in Chicago area. I agree about the Tier 2/AHL comparison but when it gets to midget age, the kids playing tier 2 18AA are going to play acha club at the highest. Now, if you belong in tier 1 but you are playing tier 2 simply by choice or it's a money issue then that's a different story.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Well Tier 1 does give you more exposure to USHL and other scouts especially in Chicago area. I agree about the Tier 2/AHL comparison but when it gets to midget age, the kids playing tier 2 18AA are going to play acha club at the highest. Now, if you belong in tier 1 but you are playing tier 2 simply by choice or it's a money issue then that's a different story.

Agreed, it isn't a direct comparison but the best one I could think of at the time. If you're playing Tier II Midget at the U18 level, agreed, your best and most likely bet college-wise is ACHA club or NCAA D-III. If you decide to go the junior route after high school, which, coming straight from Tier II will likely be Junior B or Tier III Junior A as they call it these days, you could develop more enough to have a chance at a higher end club program or middle tier D-III program; there's a lot of disparity between the top and the bottom at those college levels.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Agreed, it isn't a direct comparison but the best one I could think of at the time. If you're playing Tier II Midget at the U18 level, agreed, your best and most likely bet college-wise is ACHA club or NCAA D-III. If you decide to go the junior route after high school, which, coming straight from Tier II will likely be Junior B or Tier III Junior A as they call it these days, you could develop more enough to have a chance at a higher end club program or middle tier D-III program; there's a lot of disparity between the top and the bottom at those college levels.

No way. I can guarantee you not one kid on any D3 roster was playing Tier 2 at the 18U level. D3 is not D1, but it is still very good and hard to get in. I know kids that have played multiple years in the EJ and NA who didn't even get sniffs from D3 schools. The ACHA is where tier 2 18u players end up.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago

My problem. Ive gotten looks from AAA coaches and a few asked me to try out. My current coach is a goalie coach for the chicago mission and he doesn't send people over to try out until he is 100% confident they'll make the team, but he said from what he's seen of me if I can slow down and just play my game I should have no problems. But I just can't afford it. Its saddening, really.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
No way. I can guarantee you not one kid on any D3 roster was playing Tier 2 at the 18U level. D3 is not D1, but it is still very good and hard to get in. I know kids that have played multiple years in the EJ and NA who didn't even get sniffs from D3 schools. The ACHA is where tier 2 18u players end up.

I wasn't trying to suggest they'd go right from Tier II U18 to D-III. Why I followed it up with if they work their way up the junior ranks a little bit the two or three years following high school they could. I know plenty that have done that. Or they can go right to a D-III JV program and work their way up to Varsity after a couple of years, but not all programs have that option.

D-III can be very good, but it varies greatly from the high end programs to the low end programs. The lower end programs aren't that great. Still good, but a far cry from what the top end programs are like. There's a lot of in-between there.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago

Not really too big on college hockey leagues but is ACHA D1 Bad? Is there possibility at all for minor professional (ahl, echl, etc.)? Or is that the point where you should start planning a career?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Not really too big on college hockey leagues but is ACHA D1 Bad? Is there possibility at all for minor professional (ahl, echl, etc.)? Or is that the point where you should start planning a career?

ACHA D-I is very good, especially the top tier programs. They get better and better as time goes on,too. Lot of those rosters have guys who have played Junior A. No one is leaving ACHA D-I for the AHL. NCAA D-I to AHL, yes, college club to AHL, no.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
ACHA D-I is very good, especially the top tier programs. They get better and better as time goes on,too. Lot of those rosters have guys who have played Junior A. No one is leaving ACHA D-I for the AHL. NCAA D-I to AHL, yes, college club to AHL, no.

I actually do remember seeing one guy who scored like 400 points in 4 years playing D1 club did play a couple seasons in the ECHL but you can figure it out that it's extremely rare to do that and he probably didn't belong at the club level to begin with. All FHL (Single A Minor League) teams are made up of probably half former club players but the FHL is just glorified beer league. Basically, D1 club to minor pro? Very unlikely, D3 to minor pro? Thats more realistic but still hard.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I actually do remember seeing one guy who scored like 400 points in 4 years playing D1 club did play a couple seasons in the ECHL but you can figure it out that it's extremely rare to do that and he probably didn't belong at the club level to begin with. All FHL (Single A Minor League) teams are made up of probably half former club players but the FHL is just glorified beer league. Basically, D1 club to minor pro? Very unlikely, D3 to minor pro? Thats more realistic but still hard.

It's tough but you do see it quite a bit. Not uncommon for guys from high end D-III programs to start out in the Central Hockey League or IHL and move up to the ECHL and even AHL after that for cups of coffee. Some will go play over in Europe, or the SPHL here which, is pretty low level. Very, very rare to go from D-III to the AHL. It's happened, but very uncommon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad