USA WC Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Here is the official roster. Not a lot of players from my native Massachusetts on the team. This time, the other two Big "M's" stacked the roster.

There's a scrimmage tomorrow tonight against Canada in Halifax, NS. I assume all three goalies will get a shot and the coaches will experiment with the lines and defense pairings. From what I've read on the Canadian threads, it sounds like Canada's line combos are more or less set, but I haven't heard anything about Team USA's lines. I'd assume Modano and Weight are #1 and #2 at center, respectively. I think Halpern will center the checking line with Hall and Cole as his wings.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Back to Yan Stastny and the questions/clarification about his background, etc. All four of Peter Stastny's kids were born in Quebec, but raised in St. Louis, MO. I have always been a huge Stastny fan and have tried to follow their careers. Yan played at Notre Dame for 2 years and then went pro. He has done pretty well in Germany, but I was surprised he got this chance. (Like his little brother, he looks a lot like his Dad, but Paul got more of the pure hockey talent). On a random note, their two sisters played college tennis and Notre Dame and GWU.

Their cousin, Mat, Anton's son, was born in Quebec, but raised in Switzerland and considers himself Swiss from what I have read and heard.

Regarding the team, I am trying to go into this tournament with no preconceived notions about how this team will do, but rather I am taking and wait and see approach.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
CDeeps said:
Here is the official roster. Not a lot of players from my native Massachusetts on the team. This time, the other two Big "M's" stacked the roster.

There's a scrimmage tomorrow tonight against Canada in Halifax, NS. I assume all three goalies will get a shot and the coaches will experiment with the lines and defense pairings. From what I've read on the Canadian threads, it sounds like Canada's line combos are more or less set, but I haven't heard anything about Team USA's lines. I'd assume Modano and Weight are #1 and #2 at center, respectively. I think Halpern will center the checking line with Hall and Cole as his wings.

Aside from a couple of questionable choices (Hauer & Stastny) I like the make-up of this team. The jury's out when it comes to scoring punch, but there is alot of team speed, good character guys, solid goaltending, and a mobile, offensively minded defense. I think if the "scorers" can score, we'll be alright and can challenge for a medal.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Aside from a couple of questionable choices (Hauer & Stastny) I like the make-up of this team. The jury's out when it comes to scoring punch, but there is alot of team speed, good character guys, solid goaltending, and a mobile, offensively minded defense. I think if the "scorers" can score, we'll be alright and can challenge for a medal.

I agree. I don't think they can challenge for gold, but they're young, fast and enthusiastic and I think they will upset somebody before the tournament is done.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Macman said:
I agree. I don't think they can challenge for gold, but they're young, fast and enthusiastic and I think they will upset somebody before the tournament is done.

Yeah, I think gold is out of reach, but a bronze or even silver is a possibility,

Macman

May 15, 2004
I'm curious to know what you think about Kessel and the worlds. I'm beginning to think the U.S. should have taken him as a 13th forward. He's got world-class speed and moves, so why not? It would be great experience for him. They could pick his spots and I honestly don't think he'd look out of place if managed correctly, especially since the U.S. has nothing to lose in this tournament. My apologies if you've talked about this before.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Macman said:
I'm curious to know what you think about Kessel and the worlds. I'm beginning to think the U.S. should have taken him as a 13th forward. He's got world-class speed and moves, so why not? It would be great experience for him. They could pick his spots and I honestly don't think he'd look out of place if managed correctly, especially since the U.S. has nothing to lose in this tournament. My apologies if you've talked about this before.

I think Kessel would be more than a bit overmatched at the men's World Championships. There was no chance he was even considered, especially with the talent the U.S. had to choose from, and the timing, since Kessel is currently occupied with the U18 team in the Czech Republic.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Macman said:
Hes how old, 17 years? IMO, hes just too young to participate.

Macman

May 15, 2004
12# Peter Bondra said:
Hes how old, 17 years? IMO, hes just too young to participate.

He would hardly be the first teen to play at the worlds and he's an outstanding talent. I wouldn't consider it if the tournament was being played in North America, but it's on big ice so size and strength won't be as much of a factor. I also wouldn't consider it if the U.S. was a contender for the gold, or if this was a best-on-best tournament, but neither is the case. We hear all the time about European teens playing in men's leagues and how great it supposedly is for their development. How is this any different? This guy is the future of U.S. hockey, not Yan Statsny.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
A junior player in the worlds? that'd be foolish... He can't have much experience from the physical play of men... That could endanger his whole career, or just sitting there watching or playing very poorly could ruin his confidence and be a huge factor in his further career. VERY VERY bad idea for both USA and Kessel.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Robertsson 4-ever said:
Anyone know if this is Mike Modano's first WC-tournament?

I don't think it is. I think he suited up for the U.S. at the World Championships earlier in his career (when the Stars were in Minnesota).

* I checked, and he played in 1990 and 1993.

Last edited:

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I do not think Leopold and Martin ever really played together in college. Demarchi was are other D man and he logged most of the time with the top pair. Of course on the PP they did.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
slosharksfan said:
why diden't we go with Brad Stuart? he is bigger only one year older, and i think he has more points than most of the young blueliners? he is also a pritty fast skater. (ok i am a sharks fan, but im not too much of a "homer") :dunno:
thought he was canadian.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
I didn't realize it until I read this preview from usatoday.com, but Matt Cullen is injured and it sounds like he'll be out for a little while. This is a blow because he really stood out in the exhibitions. He's only a role player in the NHL, but he tends to excel in these international tournamnents.

I don't know if Waddell plans on adding another player, but if he does I bet it'll be a Euro based player. I'm trying to think of some other Americans who played during the lockout, but none come to mind.

These appear to be the line combos:

York-Modano-Knuble
Gionta-Weight-Parrish
Park-Legwand-Stastny
Hall-Halpern-Cole

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
everyone has cole on the last two lines - i think he will be on the top two. i know im a homer, but its his coach behind the bench so he knows what cole is capable of - he isnt just a grinder. i also see halpern being more than fourth liner.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Morrass said:
Hal Gill in the first pairing scares me.
I just love Gill. He played for my fav team Rauman Lukko this season, and he was an absolute beast. For the first time the USA team is my second favourite and Hal Gill is the only reason why. Yeah I did live near Dallas...but I never felt strongly about team USA...Hal Gill is a great defenceman with a big heart and great attitude. GO GILL!

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
According to this update on the Hockey News website, Matt Cullen is out for the entire tournament, and the USA needs to fill two roster spots. This is a blow to Team USA, because Cullen was an impact player in the exhibition games against Canada. It should be interesting to see who Team USA names to the roster.

Here are some American players who played in Europe this year, thus making them attractive options:

Casey Hankinson (played on USA Deutschland Cup team)
Shawn McEachern
Tim Connolly (also on Deutschland Cup team)
Chris Clark
Dan Hinote
Kevyn Adams
Marty Reasoner (played in 2002 and 2003 Worlds for Team USA)
Jamie Langenbrunner (one of the few standouts on USA's World Cup roster)
Jay Pandolfo
Niko Dimatrakos (played on 2003 Worlds team, the one that finished in 13th place)
Ben Clymer

And I'm still wondering what happened to Jason Blake, because I know he commited to the team at one point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad