Olympics: USA vs Germany

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Even in the last 10 minutes, when Germany was clearly pushing, they just didn't have any good chances.

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
Germany has been the most disappointing team so far, frankly. Considering their WC results, last Olympics, Kahun and Rieder being able to play they seemed like a medal contender. Instead, they got 1 goal win against China and a sound beating by NA teams.
The smaller ice exposes their weaknesses a lot more.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
To be honest, its not as bad as expected.
And i see big improvements.

Yes we got three consequtive goals against.
But there is improvement.
And yes our offensive is limited but they work better than before.
Then again, every improvement form zero is good.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
The ticker i have on my second screen is way ahead of that what i see in the live stream :D

But good goal by Kühnhackl.

Reactions: Czechboy

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, much like in the Canada game, it feels like Germany can at least play on even terms with these teams. Yet both times they had to dig themselves out of the hole.

German coach reminds me of Fabian Ernst.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Germany has been the most disappointing team so far, frankly. Considering their WC results, last Olympics, Kahun and Rieder being able to play they seemed like a medal contender. Instead, they got 1 goal win against China and a sound beating by NA teams.
How is a 3-2 loss a sound beating?

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Its fine.

Huge improvements and i am fine with loosing this.

Good game by germany.

And great game by the US.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I thought Kahun had it at the end there. Nothing is over. Qualifiers will be insanely close.
You were right when you said that they will improve during the tournament.

Lets hope they can improve even more during the qualifyier.
I don't expect them to win, but if they play better and work on their offensive it might be even closer.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
You were right when you said that they will improve during the tournament.

Lets hope they can improve even more during the qualifyier.
I don't expect them to win, but if they play better and work on their offensive it might be even closer.
Slovakia vs germany is a coin toss!

Most agree the difference is currently Drai. He's not here. They outshot all opponents and took out Latvia and are also improving.

I'm guessing shootout. Good luck

Reactions: Edenjung

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I'm guessing shootout. Good luck
Thanks.

But i think even with draisaitl, Stützle, Sturm, Reichel, Peterka, Grubauer/Greiss and Seider we might loose.
Because they might be offensivley good but the rest of the team is more of a defensive team. And you can shut the first line down like they did before when we had those guys on the team.

The whole team has to improve offensively and then we might continue our upward trajectory.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

The thing is we have no idea how good Canada and USA are. They have only faced each other, Germany and China. They couldn't be anymore below the radar or possibly overrated. It's a small rink game so maybe Canada and USA are better than we think, thus kind of making Germany's results look better also.

On the other hand if Canada & USA sucks against top Euro teams, then it's easy path for Sweden to reach the final now with this playoff bracket. It is a very interesting and odd thing how little we know about them when we're already at the playoffs. I wish Finland had lost to Sweden on OT, not on purpose but if it just happened that way since 3on3 is almost lottery anyways.

My personal prediction is that Sweden will be in the final.

Ice hockey at the 2022 Winter Olympics – Men's tournament - Wikipedia

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The thing is we have no idea how good Canada and USA are. They have only faced each other, Germany and China. They couldn't be anymore below the radar or possibly overrated. It's a small rink game so maybe Canada and USA are better than we think, thus kind of making Germany's results look better also.

On the other hand if Canada & USA sucks against top Euro teams, then it's easy path for Sweden to reach the final now with this playoff bracket. It is a very interesting and odd thing how little we know about them when we're already at the playoffs. I wish Finland had lost to Sweden on OT, not on purpose but if it just happened that way since 3on3 is almost lottery anyways.

My personal prediction is that Sweden will be in the final.

Ice hockey at the 2022 Winter Olympics – Men's tournament - Wikipedia

Predictions at a tourney like this is basically useless.
Every team in the tourney is capable to stink the joint up because there is no dominant goalie or
defense corp.

I still think when push comes to shove Levi will be
Canada's goalie and the ex NHL players and Johnson
and Power will eke out a Gold for Canada.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
3-1 isn't a sound beating either. 5-0 is a sound beating.
Can we agree to disagree on this one? To me, 3-1 game where one team is clearly better does qualify as a sound beating.

Having said that, last 15 minutes the Germans played their best hockey today, if not in the whole tournament. It can also just be score effects, however.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Can we agree to disagree on this one? To me, 3-1 game where one team is clearly better does qualify as a sound beating.

Having said that, last 15 minutes the Germans played their best hockey today, if not in the whole tournament. It can also just be score effects, however.
I don't agree that a 2-1 lead going into the 3rd period qualifies as a sound beating. I would call that close, wouldn't you?

3-2 final is also not a sound beating. Or 'clearly better'. You disagree? Help me understand?

It's a 3 period, 60 minute game. Shots aren't everything... but the shots were 29-24 after the game was over today. That is not a sound beating or clearly better. It's a close game between 2 good nations.

Reactions: Edenjung

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't agree that a 2-1 lead going into the 3rd period qualifies as a sound beating. I would call that close, wouldn't you?

3-2 final is also not a sound beating. Or 'clearly better'. You disagree? Help me understand?
Stop moving goalposts. I wrote it roughly at the 5th minute of the 3rd period. The score was 3-1 at the time and USA was clearly the better team. So I wrote how I felt at the time, this is a GDT, I wasn't making the court case out of it. You come here after the game telling me how I was supposed to feel :laugh: Ok, you don't agree, you think it was close all along, whatever. Move on.

I already told 2 times that yes, Germany did push back in the final 15 minutes and the game was generally close. You should be able to grasp though that if people write something in the GDT it applies to that moment in the game, not "going into the 3rd" or "3-2 final".

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Stop moving goalposts. I wrote it roughly at the 5th minute of the 3rd period. The score was 3-1 at the time and USA was clearly the better team. So I wrote how I felt at the time, this is a GDT, I wasn't making the court case out of it. You come here after the game telling me how I was supposed to feel :laugh: Ok, you don't agree, you think it was close all along, whatever. Move on.

I already told 2 times that yes, Germany did push back in the final 15 minutes and the game was generally close. You should be able to grasp though that if people write something in the GDT it applies to that moment in the game, not "going into the 3rd" or "3-2 final".
You didn't answer the question. Was it a close game or not?

I like to talk about games after they are done not after 2 periods.

3-2 score
Shots were 24-29

Moving goalposts is trollspeak... coincidentally, I never did. I've explained my stance.. 60 minute game. It was 2-1 at 40 minutes.. calling it a sound beating at 45 minutes is inaccurate. At no point was this game a sound beating by a superior opponent.

Reactions: hullsy47

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
You didn't answer the question. Was it a close game or not?

I like to talk about games after they are done not after 2 periods.

3-2 score
Shots were 24-29

Moving goalposts is trollspeak... coincidentally, I never did. I've explained my stance.. 60 minute game. It was 2-1 at 40 minutes.. calling it a sound beating at 45 minutes is inaccurate. At no point was this game a sound beating by a superior opponent.

It was a very competitive game with the US slightly outplaying Germany.

This tourney is wide open due to no dominant Goalie or D corp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad