WC: USA vs Canada Semifinals Showdown

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Honestly I haven't watched or kept up with any of this tournament but at the start I saw they kept losing so I kinda assumed this was going to be a bad tournament for Canada....

Then yesterday I see on tsn they are in the semi finals lol.. and now off to the finals.. crazy!

Finland often had the same kind of problems. Chemistry etc arent there in the first games. It`s also a coaching thing. Canada has gotten better every game. Doesnt matter if it will be Finland or Germany in the finals - I`m pretty sure Canada goes for gold.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
Top end guys in the KHL
propped up by an all-NHL defense and a Vezina-winning goalie were sent packing by these fringe 4th liners and a couple of students the other night, boosting Andrew Mangiapane's confidence in the process so much that he looks like a top-liner now.

Reactions: Great99

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
This has been one of the most pleasant surprises from a Team Canada that I’ve ever seen at this tournament, starting 0-3 losing against countries we rarely lose against….and now we’re in the gold medal game.

If they pull this off it’s easily one of the greatest comeback stories in recent memory, and if not I’m happy with a silver tbh, I was full expecting a 7th or 8th place finish a few weeks ago :laugh:

after losing to Germany we were expecting/fearing being out of the QFs for the first time in however long… so glad to be totally proven wrong. I like this TC way more than many of the ones we’ve sent here in the past, and if they complete the comeback and win gold even more than that stacked 2015 team where they just rolled over everyone unopposed.

Reactions: jj cale

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Win the right games - I don't this could be said to any other team than Canada.

Congrats
Well, in a one and done style tournament, one can fairly say every game is the 'right' game. Canada had to run the table to win the championship. They have one more challenge of winning the 'right' game. If they accomplish this, it would be a remarkable achievement at any level of hockey.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
What a great game by the top line for Canada. USA is now 0-8 trying to get to the Gold medal game. Andrew Mangiapane with 7 goals in 5 games is a gamer. Connor Brown is an amazing passer and Henrique was clutch.
I was never a huge fan of Comtois, having always thought he was a bit overrated. But in the third period of this game, he played his best stretch of hockey in the tournament by playing sound positionally in both the offensive and central ice zones, controlling the play and making strong, safe and smart plays that bled valuable minutes from the clock. If he plays disciplined, physical hockey and chips in offensively, he can carve out a good career in the NHL.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
after losing to Germany we were expecting/fearing being out of the QFs for the first time in however long… so glad to be totally proven wrong. I like this TC way more than many of the ones we’ve sent here in the past, and if they complete the comeback and win gold even more than that stacked 2015 team where they just rolled over everyone unopposed.

Canada has never not made it to the QF if I recall hearing that correctly a few days ago since the playoff format was implemented.

That 2015 Team Canada was damn near a best on best caliber team. Slightly below, but that roster was stacked and they played so well as a team. That was an awesome tournament in the Czech Republic that year, I always like when the Czech’s host they do a great job.

The 2015 Team Canada team was probably the best team in the history of the WHC for any country. Maybe some of the Soviet juggernaut teams come close.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Anytime USA Hockey loses is a celebration for the world.

Well done. When you assemble a group of 23 players to play Hockey for Team Canada there is a spiritual confidence and belief, no one in the world can beat us. Canadian heart and soul is the separator when on paper there is no difference.

And that's what Americans will never have and why Canada will always be number 1 in Hockey until aliens from another planet with the one true ring challenge us one day.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Being in the USA I have to say hats off to Canada the coaching staff won that game hands down made the USA coaching staff look like beer league coaches

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
I don't think there is anything to be hugely disappointed about. This version of the U.S. team, without any elite players, was in my opinion the most dynamic line up in this tournament. Most likely none of these players would make a best on best U.S. team. This shows the development and growth of the U.S. hockey program and with its greater population, its only a matter of time before the U.S. catches and even surpasses Canada in developing elite hockey players. I once read that there are more high school hockey teams in Texas than Ontario. So draw your own conclusions.
Jason Robertson? I would say ranks up there as pretty elite

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Well done. When you assemble a group of 23 players to play Hockey for Team Canada there is a spiritual confidence and belief, no one in the world can beat us. Canadian heart and soul is the separator when on paper there is no difference.

And that's what Americans will never have and why Canada will always be number 1 in Hockey until aliens from another planet with the one true ring challenge us one day.

Yup. We live and breathe this sport. Canadian heart and soul isn’t a form of jingoistic fervour it’s just something that’s instilled into our players to never ever quit or give up.

Go check out an outdoor rink in any Canadian city on the weekend and they’ll be packed with boys and girls of all ages out there, along men and women out there playing. It’s part of what it is to be Canadian.

It matters to us and it’s a sport that’s embedded into our culture in a way that it’s just not in many other countries, Finland is close in that regard. They live and breathe the sport much like we do as well.

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013

I used to hear this from Canadians about the World Juniors too. Not so much anymore.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't think there is anything to be hugely disappointed about. This version of the U.S. team, without any elite players, was in my opinion the most dynamic line up in this tournament. Most likely none of these players would make a best on best U.S. team. This shows the development and growth of the U.S. hockey program and with its greater population, its only a matter of time before the U.S. catches and even surpasses Canada in developing elite hockey players. I once read that there are more high school hockey teams in Texas than Ontario. So draw your own conclusions.
:facepalm:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Top 2 scorers in the tournament are now Brown and Mangiapane.

Henrique is 1 pt out from Top 3.

Kuemper has allowed 3 goals in 2 elimination games.

Itĺl probably end with 2 or 3 Canadians on the All Star team, Canada with at least a silver and Iĺl still have to hear how this is a weak team because it doesnt line up well to previous years rosters (when everyone had stronger rosters as well).

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Got up to exercise. Pulled up the TSN website.

Canada was up 2-1.
Then 3-1.
Then 2-1 - ???? Figured they had a goal taken away.

Exercised. An hour + later, I asked someone (while jogging) to pull up the TSN site and we'd won.

While I haven't followed the tournament, credit to team Canada and the fans who have. You are better fans than me.

I will jump on the bandwagon for the GMG.

Reactions: snipes and jj cale

member 305909

The USA is being loyal to the tradition of playing their worst game at the most important time.

Last edited by a moderator:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Itĺl probably end with 2 or 3 Canadians on the All Star team, Canada with at least a silver and Iĺl still have to hear how this is a weak team because it doesnt line up well to previous years rosters (when everyone had stronger rosters as well).

It's a weak team because they barely qualified to even play for the medals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad