WC: USA vs Canada Semifinals Showdown

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yet I've been told just this tournament we always struggle on big ice and always need the big stars to compensate for it.

Such baloney that gets spewed around here regarding international hockey.

For sure, I love international hockey like yourself and it’s not just the big ice it’s more that European leagues have really good players that some NA audiences just aren’t aware about how good those leagues are.

Top end guys in the KHL, SHL, Liiga, etc. are better than some of the the fringe 4th line/healthy scratches in the NHL.

But, if hockey is to be played the expectation is always that Canada needs to be playing for Gold. Period. Almost improbable odds that Canada could even be playing for Gold after the 0-3 start.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
How has Power looked today?
I thought Power had his weakest game today. While he was a rock in the last part of the third period, he fought the puck until then, looked tentative and showed that he really is only an 18 year old. Notwithstanding, this kid will be a star and if the Sabres foolishly don't draft him they truly will be a cursed franchise and deservedly so.

Last edited:
Reactions: EichHart

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
speed wasn't an issue in this game.

That your right about. In Finland-Czech game it was. There was so much grabbing and interference from both teams. Here I wouldve liked to see a Canada penalty 2min from full-time for slashing the stick. Would have been an amazing last mins. :D

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Close game of inches.

Nice to see the US competing at this tournament.
Two very evenly matched teams, though I think the U.S., on the whole, had more skill. Could have gone either way. The U.S. should be a lock for the bronze. There's no shame in that.

Last edited:

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
SecZKRHp3QxHlP417kl3xM-ta1dDqkN8nxtBEKFVFAk.png

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hockey should always be played on our sized ice. Glad we won, of course, but that’s just not hockey.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
I get that US fans would rather see their team win gold but considering the history of the team in this tournament, they should be excited about the chance to compete for bronze.

Hard to get excited when we've iced teams over the years that legitimately could've gone all the way but stunk (as usual) when the games actually mattered

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Close game of inches.

Nice to see the US competing at this tournament.

When they bring a legitimate NHL goalie they have usually been pretty good.

They struggle to show up in the knockout rounds. I thought Roy was a big loss, I know both of these nations can ice a lot more talent and it is odd talking about certain players in this way, but Matt Roy was fantastic the entire tournament in his role and that did stand out to me.

Tip of the cap to Norway, they helped impact the gold medal game for as often as people talk about the bottom of the tables team and too many teams argument. I think that is cool to see and I appreciate the impact this tournament has on the game. I just wish as a USA fan we took a little better group every year and did more in this tournament. We can get them next year is getting super old...

Full marks to Canada though, I think they played a really impressive and composed game for the most part and their big line came through. Kuemper has also heated up at the right time. They were lucky to be here given all they needed to happen just to get into the quarters, but they have made the most of their luck for sure and good on them.

member 305909

Unlike with everything else imaginable in hockey the big brother vs kid brother-position is upside down between these countries.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Congrats Canada, another disappointing Worlds as a USA fan.
I don't think there is anything to be hugely disappointed about. This version of the U.S. team, without any elite players, was in my opinion the most dynamic line up in this tournament. Most likely none of these players would make a best on best U.S. team. This shows the development and growth of the U.S. hockey program and with its greater population, its only a matter of time before the U.S. catches and even surpasses Canada in developing elite hockey players. I once read that there are more high school hockey teams in Texas than Ontario. So draw your own conclusions.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
This has been one of the most pleasant surprises from a Team Canada that I’ve ever seen at this tournament, starting 0-3 losing against countries we rarely lose against….and now we’re in the gold medal game.

If they pull this off it’s easily one of the greatest comeback stories in recent memory, and if not I’m happy with a silver tbh, I was full expecting a 7th or 8th place finish a few weeks ago :laugh:

Reactions: jj cale

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
What a great game by the top line for Canada. USA is now 0-8 trying to get to the Gold medal game. Andrew Mangiapane with 7 goals in 5 games is a gamer. Connor Brown is an amazing passer and Henrique was clutch.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
First time ever a Canadian team started 0-3 in this tournament now off to the Gold medal game.

Playing for Gold in 5 of the last 6 years.

Honestly I haven't watched or kept up with any of this tournament but at the start I saw they kept losing so I kinda assumed this was going to be a bad tournament for Canada....

Then yesterday I see on tsn they are in the semi finals lol.. and now off to the finals.. crazy!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I get that US fans would rather see their team win gold but considering the history of the team in this tournament, they should be excited about the chance to compete for bronze.

I am holding them to a higher standard than that as a USA fan. I also think this attitude is one that is a problem at the highest level. I mean I assume Finland is your team, a country with a population smaller than Metro-Detroit where I grew up. You don't show up at these with small expectations. I am not going to make excuses for their performance in this tournament and my desire to see them medal more often and make more finals. Making the bronze game isn't an expectation we give to any other level of USA hockey.

While there is a lot of discussion about how popular the sport is in the USA, even if a niche sport the numbers have increased a lot in the last couple decades. US player participation is at an all-time high in the NHL in terms of percentages, the registered hockey players continue to rise, the infrastructure continues to be a massive improvement in most of the youth levels. You also are seeing a lot of growth out of southern expansion starting to final trickle in where a generation of fans can pass it to the next generation which is significant when building a sport culture. The USA has become a serious contender at all the youth hockey levels. Their U-18 and WJC performances indicate they have the talent as does tuning in most nights in the NHL.

It is unfortunate that more prominent players don't always show up. But they should have the depth in the program and the ability to perform better in this tournament. Their bronze medals have been when they had quality #1 NHL netminders. When they have one they are more threatening, but I want more and I think as fans of the national team we should want more. We need to care more about this and stop excusing it, they need to be better when it matters, I have seen most of these guys do it with youth national teams, their club teams, it is time to see it at this level.

Very disappointed, it might be historically nice for them, but currently we are in the best era of talent in USA hockey in my opinion. The current era has passed the mid-90s guys for me, so I want to see more on the international level from this group.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad