Us Versus Them Prospects(work in progress)

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Fuhr got me thinking in one of our prospect thread when he said just how do we rank up with the cats, habs, jackets ect so i decided to make a thread comparing prospect production based on level of play and try to draw comparison on role and age. I will not be comparing CHL players because thats a huge crap shoot till someone proves they can scoring or play at the pro level or is an obvious first round talent.

Lets start off with the sens given i know them the best.My analyse is simply drawn on role and production at the highest level. I will not factor is size or skating ability given i havent seen many of the other teams prospects outside the elite ones

Note if you fail to see any reason or think the thread is stupid dont comment. You can draw your own conclusions off the information presented.
Ottawa Senators. I also tried to excluded players over 25 as i see them more as journeymen low level players with less nhl upside

AHL Notables
Hoffman Lw 51 gp 30g 67p age 23
DaCosta C 56gp 18g 58p age 24
Schneider RW 69gp 20g 54p age 23
Puempel LW 74gp 30g 48p age 20
Prince Lw 69gp 21g 48p age 20
Boro D 50gp 2g 8p age 24
Claessan D 75gp 3g 29p age 20
Wideman D 73gp 9g 51p Age 23
Pageau C 46gp 20g 24a 44p age 21
Stone RW 37 15 26 41

NCAA Notables
Dzingel C 37gp 22g 46p age 22
Guptill 31gp 12g 25p age 22

Europe Notables
Wikstrand D SEL 19gp 4g 11p age 20
Lingberg RW SEL 3gp 0g 0p age 18

Montreal Canadiens

AHL Notables
St.Pierre C 71gp 10g 58p age 30
Angdrighetto R 64gp 17g 44p age 20
Blunden R 68gp 18g 37p age 26
Dumont C 74gp 4g 17p 36 age 22
Paterny D 68gp 15g 34p 23
Tinordi D 47gp 3g 9p age 21
Beaulieu D 57gp 7g 27p age 20

NCAA Notables
Mark Macmillian C 38gp 10g 26p age 22

Europe Notables
Lehkoen SEL LW 33gp 7g 20p age 19
De La Rose SEL C/W 49gp 7g 13 age 19

Conclusion based off stats and limited knowledge of prospects i generally think Ottawa's futures are way better then that of Montreal. Obviously a guy like Beaulieu is something were really lacking on the backend for prospects but in terms of pure shut down and offensive minded guys i think we stack up pretty well.

Florida Panthers

AHL Notables
Trocheck C 55gp 16g 26a 42p age 20
Shore C 50gp 6g 26a 32p age 22
Wilson L 71gp 14g 16a 30p age 22
Howden L 59gp 10g 17a 27p age 21
MacFarlard R 45gp 10g 14a 24p age 21
Robak D 56gp 8g 13a 21p age 23
Petrovic D 43gp 2g 11a 13p age 21

NCAA Notables
Hyman R 35gp 7g 10a 17p age 22
Grimarli F 42gg 17g 22a 39p age 21 hes 5.06
Rau F 41gp 14g 26a 40p age 21
Matheson D38gp 3g 18a 21p age 20
McCoshen D 35gp 5g 8a 13p age 18

Now i dont know about you guys but so far the sens have the most successful ahl prospect pool well measuring up in the NCAA and European pools.

For fun
Build a team of these propects trying not to be bias and most likely you will come up with mostly sens players in the top 6 aswell as having at least two sens dmen
ill exclude DaCosta cause hes khl bound and i dont know how exactly hell factor into the sens future
AHLer
Hoffman-Pageau-Stone
Puempel-Trockeck-Angdrighetto
Prince-Dumont-Schneider

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
How come you skipped CHL talent?

You have to admit Fuhr when comparing our immediate future or players playing at the pro or NCAA level our future imo looks better then that of the habs. Our elites ahler and secondary scoring players are more productive and mostly younger then that of the habs. Personally i think we've done very well with our late picks.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
MICHAEL MCCARRON LONDON (OHL) 63gp 13g 19a 32p 118
JÉRÉMY GRÉGOIRE BAIE-COMEAU (LHJMQ) 63gp 35g 32a 67p 78
MARTIN REWAY GATINEAU (LHJMQ) 41gp 20g 38a 58p 48
CHARLES HUDON CHICOUTIMI (LHJMQ) 55gp 23g 50a 73p 83
CONNOR CRISP SUDBURY (OHL) 64gp 25g 26a 51p 120
DALTON THROWER VANCOUVER (WHL) 42gp 12g 27a 39p 70

Didn't include Bozon for obvious reasons

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Curtis Lazar Edmonton Oil Kings WHL 58gp 41g 35a 76p
Vincent Dunn Gatineau Olympiques QMJHL 50gp 31g 20a 51p
Ben Harpur Guelph Storm OHL 67gp 3g 13a 16p
Nick Paul North Bay Batalion OHL 67gp 26g 20a 46p

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Chris Driedger Calgary Hitmen 50gp 2.64Gaa 0.918sv% 28W 14L 3 OTL 4SoL 3SO
Zachary Fucale Halifax Mooseheads 50gp 2.26Gaa 0.907sv% 36W 9L 0 OTL 3SoL 6SO

Karlsson2Turris*

The only slam dunk prospect out of both pools is Lazar IMO.

The Fuhr*

The only slam dunk prospect out of both pools is Lazar IMO.

I'd agree and that's simply not good enough... The fact that Ottawa needs to make an argument for having a better prospect pool then the Habs is sad.

Ottawa after the rebuild should be a couple levels above them.

Habs are not even the team I'm worried about in the division

It's the Bolts, Cats, Sabres and Wings... All four teams have ridiculous amount of prospect talent

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I'd agree and that's simply not good enough... The fact that Ottawa needs to make an argument for having a better prospect pool then the Habs is sad.

Ottawa after the rebuild should be a couple levels above them.

Habs are not even the team I'm worried about in the division

It's the Bolts, Cats, Sabres and Wings... All four teams have ridiculous amount of prospect talent

I did the Cats but my internet messed up and it got deleted and i decided to redo it later. Our prospect pool is better then the Cats outside dmen and their NCAA is deep. Considering that the cats relied on the likes of Bobby Butler, Greg Rallo and Jed Ortymery as their main offensive threats in the AHL is kinda sad. Then you have our NCAA forwards out producing theres well are new young 20 years old ahlers are also out producing the likes of Drew Shore Trocheck and Howden. IMO a lot of the Cats players look to be under preforming or just not producing the way they should be expected to.

The Fuhr*

Top prospects
Trochek, Shore, Howden, Mcfarland, Weeger, Brittien, Matheson, mccoshion, Hyman, Grimaldi, Ekblad, Haweryluk

I'd say the Cats defense blows the Sens away with forwards looking equal

What the Cats have tho is a lot of young graduates
Bjustad (21), Hurbedeau (21), Barkov (19)

What do the Sens have young and have made an impact like those three? Zibanejad, that's about it and he's the worst of the four players there

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Top prospects
Trochek, Shore, Howden, Mcfarland, Weeger, Brittien, Matheson, mccoshion, Hyman, Grimaldi, Ekblad, Haweryluk

What do the Sens have young and have made an impact like those three? Zibanejad, that's about it and he's the worst of the four players there

What have Shore, Howden and MacFarland proven over our ahl propects of the same age? Hyman and Grimaldi are nothing special when compared to our NCAA players at the same age. I admit the cats defensive prospects are probably better but overall you have to give the edge to the sens given the massive underperformance of Florida's forwards.

Last edited:

The Fuhr*

What have Shore, Howden and MacFarland proven over our ahl propects of the same age? Hyman and Grimaldi are nothing special when compared to our NCAA players at the same age. I admit the cats defensive prospects are probably better but overall you have to give the edge to the sens given the massive underperformance of Florida's forwards.

Trochek and Shore have put up similar AHL numbers to Pumpel and Prince

It's hard to get excited about Bingo players like
Hoffman - cleared waivers last year
SDC - Not good enough for nhl so went to Russia
Schneider - If he does not make the Sens hits waivers
Wideman - if he does not make Sens hits waivers

Not a lot of potential in Bingo

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
It's nice to see that fuhrs prospect list conveniently leaves out the just-graduated likes of Zibanejad, Ceci and Chiasson. Not to mention trivializing the likes of Hoffman, stone and pageau.

I guess in fuhrs world not only does the team have an endless supply of young, exciting, high-potential roster players but also an equally endless supply of blue chip prospects to take their place in the system.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Top prospects

What do you expect when you pick top 3 in 4 of the last 5 drafts? I'm sure if the Sens had a prospect pool like the Cats you would complain about how bad the team does to be able to get prospects like that.

The Fuhr*

What do you expect when you pick top 3 in 4 of the last 5 drafts? I'm sure if the Sens had a prospect pool like the Cats you would complain about how bad the team does to be able to get prospects like that.

The Sens went through a rebuild

All your telling me is that they did not do a good enough job... They rebuilt to be a middle of pack team

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The Sens went through a rebuild

All your telling me is that they did not do a good enough job... They rebuilt to be a middle of pack team

The Sens made the playoffs during their rebuild. Do you expect them to pull the chute and aim for the basement? With any luck we could be another Florida or Edmonton.

The Fuhr*

It's nice to see that fuhrs prospect list conveniently leaves out the just-graduated likes of Zibanejad, Ceci and Chiasson. Not to mention trivializing the likes of Hoffman, stone and pageau.

I guess in fuhrs world not only does the team have an endless supply of young, exciting, high-potential roster players but also an equally endless supply of blue chip prospects to take their place in the system.

I talked about Zibanejad but he is the only good young forward this team has 22 or younger

Ceci is nice... Should become a solid second pair D

Sens have zero game breakers in their prospect pool

The Fuhr*

The Sens made the playoffs during their rebuild. Do you expect them to pull the chute and aim for the basement? With any luck we could be another Florida or Edmonton.

Making the playoffs on the back of Anderson and his .940sv% during the lockout is not much of an accomplishment if you ask me

You know what be nice... If the team could play well

The Fuhr*

Ceci
Karlsson
Cowen
Weircioch
Turris
Zibanejad
Lehner

All the same general age as Florida's superstars

Karlsson is a star
Turris is a wicked 2C
Everyone else you listed is not much more then secondary pieces

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Karlsson is a star
Turris is a wicked 2C
Everyone else you listed is not much more then secondary pieces

Florida has.......potential?

Bjugstad has potential, and is listed as a game-breaker by yourself, but then guys like Zibanejad are secondary pieces. Grass is always greener

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
When the team had a franchise center who put up over 80 points?

So why complain about prospects? We were good enough at the time to make the playoffs, which you said you wished you could watch a team do.

Can't have both. You complain about not having good prospects from bombing, about not having a good team to watch, and then complain when they make the playoffs. Make up your mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad