Tennis: US Open 2022

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Wow Carlos. This kid is just made of different stuff, "Big 3" DNA. The skill, stamina, mental strength, presence, the Rafa graciousness giving props to Tiafoe after the match etc. The beginning of greatness here. Still need to finish the job against Ruud, won't be easy.

Really feel for Frances. He gave everything he had and then some but just ran into a buzzsaw. I hope we see a lot more from him because Tiafoe going deep into majors is good for the game.

Reactions: kihei

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Serious props to Tiafoe. He looked completely defeated after 3 sets but really fought his way back. Tremendous show of heart.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I have tickets to the final, big Rafa fan and was really pulling for him to make it and bummed he lost but man Alcaraz is by far the best "consolation" prize I could ask for. He's so good. Either way it turns out should be a great match and so cool having both their first Grand Slam win and #1 rating on the line in this match. Ruud will not be an easy out at all but I think Carlos pulls through in 4 or 5 sets.

Also, have never been a big Tiafoe fan but he's won me over this run too. Beating Rafa was impressive, even if he hasn't been himself this tournament, it's still incredibly difficult to beat him in best of 5 and he was undefeated at slams this year before that. Then to force a 5th set against Carlos after the way sets 2 and 3 went and the early breaks from Carlos, man what a great competitor and a great run from a US player here at the Open. If a US player does win it again soon I hope it's him.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Winner gets world #1. Fitting.
The astounding thing to me is that if Caspar wins it, it will be his first tournament victory above the 250 level. What a place to start.

Rooting for Ons, but betting on Iga today.

Reactions: Tuggy

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Really pulling for Ons, but Iga will probably be too much.

Shaky first service game for Ons. Yikes, broken at love.

Three great points in a row by Ons on Iga's serve. She's awake now.

Last edited:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
When Iga's on, she's too good.

Geez, disappointing first set. Ons is not checked into this match mentally. Iga's in full control.

Last edited:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Not a classic, this. So disappointing.

Iga with a small dip in form, opens the door a crack for Ons... and Iga slams the door.

Ons isn't going away, but she's running out of games to turn her serve around.

Iga has lost her way here. Crowd is engaged and fully behind Ons. A third set seemed impossible 10 minutes ago... there's a chance now.

Last edited:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Ons saves a match point on her serve to force a tiebreak.

And Iga closes it out 7-5 in the breaker.

Not the best from Ons, but well deserved for Iga.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Hell of a second set, but Ons waited too late to become competitive. Great credit to Iga for gutting it out with that US Open crowd rooting so vociferously for Jabeur and a third set.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At the start of the tournament, I picked Alcaraz to win it, so I'm obviously not changing horses now. I think he likely wins in three sets, four if he is a little slow getting up to speed in the first set.

Here's one big reason why I think Carlos will win. Ruud, if he wins tomorrow, will become #1 without having won a single 500 or 1000 level tournament. That’s an incredible statistic. I’ve felt for some time that Caspar has a tendency to disappear in big matches. So I looked at it a little further, and there is a clear trend regarding his final weekend matches.

Ruud has won nine 250 level tournaments, all on clay except for one hard court victory (San Diego, 2021). He has been in four other finals, only two of which have been 500 level or above, Miami and Roland Garros, both this year.

Feeling that that’s not very many quality finals to have played, I checked his stats. This is how he has fared in every 500, 1000 and Grand Slam tournament in which he has gotten to at least the quarterfinals, from the beginning of his career to the present. The pattern will be obvious.

Finals

Roland Garros (2022) lost to Nadal 3-6, 3-6, 0-6
Miami (2022) lost to Alcaraz 5-7, 4-6

Semifinals

Rio (2017) lost to PCB 6-2, 5-7, 0-6
Rome (2020) lost to Djokovic 5-7, 3-6
Hamburg (2020) lost to Rublev 4-6, 2-6
Monte Carlo (2021) lost to Rublev 3-6, 5-7
Madrid (2021) lost to Berrettini 4-6, 4-6
ATP Finals (2021) lost Medvedev 4-6, 2-6
Rome (2022) lost to Djokovic 4-6, 3-6
Hurkacz (2022) lost to Hurkacz 7-5, 3-6, 2-6

Quarterfinals

Toronto (2021) lost to Tsitsipas 1-6, 4-6
Cincinnati (2021) lost to Zverev 1-6, 3-6
Vienna (2021) lost to Sinner 5-7, 1-6
Paris (2021) lost to Zverev 5-7, 4-6
Barcelona (2022) lost to PCB 6-4, 6-7, 3-6

That's 15 important losses where Caspar has won a total of three sets. When Ruud loses late in a tournament, he doesn’t actually show up. Doubt this will change tomorrow if Carlos is physically fit and can apply pressure early.

Last edited:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
The way Alcaraz is playing right now you'd be crazy not to pick him, he's just... unbelievable. Serious big 3 energy with that kid.

But he's also played three intense 5 set matches in a row now, I know he's young so he can probably just have some pop-tarts & a quick nap and he'll be ready to go but it'll be interesting to see if it finally catches up to him.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Hedged my bets a little by putting a bit of money on Jabeur in this final, but glad to see Iga pull through even if the second set was iffy at the end there.

Hedged a little against Alcaraz as well (put a bit of money both in the QF on Sinner and on the final on Ruud), but I'm definitely hoping he'll show the tennis world that he is the heir apparent to the big-3 tomorrow and win the first of many slams in his career.

Last edited:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Really glad I saw Swiatek live in Toronto last month; she's a special talent with the mental toughness and game management skills to match, and she proved today that she is the biggest star in women's tennis right now.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Alcaraz is great and Ruud is overrated, but a 19 year old in his first grand slam final is difficult. Ruud is 24. Has been around for years and has already played his first grand slam final. He’ll likely be a lot more steady tomorrow. It could go the way of Alcaraz because he’s the better player, but these young sporting phenom’s on their first big stage often do struggle. I’m picking Ruud in 4, but I want Alcaraz to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad