Tennis: US Open 2022

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
He hasn't withdrawn yet so I wonder if he knows something is in the works.
He wouldn't withdraw until the last minute, though, no? So I don't think the fact that he hasn't withdrawn yet is more smoke than fire.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
He wouldn't withdraw until the last minute, though, no? So I don't think the fact that he hasn't withdrawn yet is more smoke than fire.
In Montreal I thought he withdrew before qualies. He must know that by holding on without any hope that he's keeping someone else out of the main draw and forcing them to qualify.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Kerber announced her pregnancy and will not play this year's US Open

I feel bad for women who want to keep playing and also want to have babies. They really have to pick and choose a time and it isn't just the 9 months being pregnant that they're missing on the tour but beyond. All the nannies in the world won't change that.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In Montreal I thought he withdrew before qualies. He must know that by holding on without any hope that he's keeping someone else out of the main draw and forcing them to qualify.
Montreal isn't a Grand Slam, though, so I don't blame him really.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Wow. In one week, Borna Coric goes from #152 ranked player who is lucky to be invited to qualify at the 1000 level, to #26 seed at the US Open.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
First impressions of draw: dream draw for Rafa in the bottom quarter. Stacked top half.

Top Eight Seeds:

Medvedv--could face Krygios in 4th round; hot new kid on the block and NCAA champ Ben Shelton possible third round opponent
FAA--Draper in second round with Carreno Busta and De Minaur potential 4th rouners
Tsitsipas--Cressy in the third round with Fritz/Berrettini lurking in fourth round
Ruud--possible match ups with Paul or Korda

Hurkacz--not bad until he hits Sinner
Alcaraz--could be Coric in the third round and Cilic in the fourth round
Norrie--Isner in round three and potential roadblocks Rublev and Rune also possibilities
Nadal--Tiafoe is the closest thing to a threat

Quarterfinals

Kyrgios over FAA
Fritz over Tsitsipas (Korda, my original pick in this spot, could play Fritz in the third round)

Alcaraz over Sinner
Nadal over Isner

Semis

Fritz over Krygios
Alcaraz over Nadal

Final

Alcaraz over Fritz

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Raducanu vs. Cornet in the first round. That's.... tricky.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Raducanu vs. Cornet in the first round. That's.... tricky.
A popular theory at the moment seems to be that the controversial lighter balls used at the US Open for women, which most of the WTA players hate, were actually the key to her success as they suit her power game perfectly. The logic being that in the warm-up NA tournaments so far, which use very similar balls, she has played by far her best tennis of the year. I should think Cornet will be an interesting test of that theory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad