Tennis: US Open 2022

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Sinner isn’t far off Alcaraz to be fair. May not be another big 3 but I imagine Sinner/Alcaraz will be highly entertaining to watch for the next 10-15 years.
Completely disagree. Sinner hasn't yet shown he'll be any better than another Zverev. He's yet another of these hyped up young players who has done well, but hasn't yet won a slam. And even Zverev got much higher in the rankings and was winning more big titles earlier than Sinner.

Alcaraz is a generational player. May not reach the big 3 heights, but he's the type of talent that comes along once every 10 years. There wasn't one in tennis for 20 years since Novak, but there also was 3 in a pretty short span, so it's not exactly one every 10 years. Sinner is a potential franchise talent. He has a good chance to win a few slams, and maybe he gets to #2 or #3 in the world some day. I don't even think #1 is impossible, but I highly doubt he's anywhere near the level of Alcaraz. Alcaraz will either be a lot better or he falls off due to injuries or something else. I don't see anyone who can consistently challenge Alcaraz. It's also unlikely anyone will. You rarely get two generational talents at once. More likely Alcaraz is a generational talent and then a few different players at their best are able to challenge him for a few years or on certain surfaces yet probably still get bested most of the time by him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad