Movies: Us (2019 - Jordan Peele Directing)

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
It was slightly above average. Its gonna get WAY more praise than it deserves.

But it was worth the price of admission

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The only part I liked was the creepy music
The critics (professional and otherwise) love it and many are going crazy on line talking about all the Easter Eggs (TBH, I'm not 100% sure what they mean by Easter Eggs) and possible interpretations of scenes.

Individual viewers, not so much - on RT the audience reviews are weak.

I know a LOT of people who were disappointed with Get Out as well - which I loved.

Oh well… to each their own.

Reactions: BrendanGallagher11

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

None of them were killed and they all turned into fighting machines. "Jack Bauer powers" is one of those terms when you know they won't kill a character/characters and they all of a sudden turn into trained assassins.

Also, if any of you saw the movie Bushwick with Dave Bautista, very different film but the last shot reminded me exactly of the last shot of that film.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
After sleeping on it, i still say it was a fine film. I think it was a cool idea and that the lead actress was REALLY good.

Aside from that, it was kind of a mess. I liked Get Out a bunch, this was a notch below

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
After sleeping on it, i still say it was a fine film. I think it was a cool idea and that the lead actress was REALLY good.

Aside from that, it was kind of a mess. I liked Get Out a bunch, this was a notch below
Well said.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'll go further into detail on this later, but holy crap I honestly can't believe just how awful this movie was. I never thought Get Out was amazing, but I still thought it was quite good (well-crafted, funny, enjoyable). This... honestly I'm just kind of shell-shocked. It's one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. This wasn't just a let down or disappointing, it was outright laughable.

I think the only other horror movie recently that I was way off from the critics on in terms of opinion was A Quiet Place, but with that I just thought it was a completely bland and average horror movie. This one, I think it at least takes some chances and tries to do things differently, but I honestly thought none of it landed.

Reactions: BrendanGallagher11

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'll go further into detail on this later, but holy crap I honestly can't believe just how awful this movie was. I never thought Get Out was amazing, but I still thought it was quite good (well-crafted, funny, enjoyable). This... honestly I'm just kind of shell-shocked. It's one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. This wasn't just a let down or disappointing, it was outright laughable.

I think the only other horror movie recently that I was way off from the critics on in terms of opinion was A Quiet Place, but with that I just thought it was a completely bland and average horror movie. This one, I think it at least takes some chances and tries to do things differently, but I honestly thought none of it landed.
In the movie's defense, most critics, including this one ;), thought it was great.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
In the movie's defense, most critics, including this one ;), thought it was great.
No I know. I was saying I was way off from most people's opinion. Stuff like Hereditary and The Witch I love which critics did as well, but this one I hated.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Surprised by the responses in this thread. I thought it was super entertaining and suspenseful, with a great central performance by Nyongo. Also a ton of Easter eggs and subtle hints that I can’t wait to look for on a second viewing.

Reactions: OzzyFan

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The critics (professional and otherwise) love it and many are going crazy on line talking about all the Easter Eggs (TBH, I'm not 100% sure what they mean by Easter Eggs) and possible interpretations of scenes.

I know a LOT of people who were disappointed with Get Out as well - which I loved.

Oh ffs, we've been through this, it's not a reliable metric since it's prone to abuse and there' no way to verify if the voter has even seen the movie. Cinemascore is the only reliable audience score because it's done by polling people at the theaters who have just seen the movie.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
None of them were killed and they all turned into fighting machines. "Jack Bauer powers" is one of those terms when you know they won't kill a character/characters and they all of a sudden turn into trained assassins.

Also, if any of you saw the movie Bushwick with Dave Bautista, very different film but the last shot reminded me exactly of the last shot of that film.

Thanks for spoiling the movie!!!!

Reactions: Danko

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Oh ffs, we've been through this, it's not a reliable metric since it's prone to abuse and there' no way to verify if the voter has even seen the movie. Cinemascore is the only reliable audience score because it's done by polling people at the theaters who have just seen the movie.
I don't care either way. To each their own.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Then why do you keep mentioning it?
It was part of a discussion.

I LOVED the movie but I know others personally, and people here, who didn't care for it. Their opinions were similar to those I'd read at RT Audience Reviews so I mentioned it

Unlike you, I don't take offense to people not liking a movie I like. Again, to each their own.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Great movie. Peele is an amazing filmmaker. Even if you don’t like the story, the direction and cinematography was fantastic.

Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I think he's a master at his craft, i just think this one fell a bit short. I still consider him to be one of the very best at his approach to film
I agree. If his 2 films are an indication of what's to come, I will be very pleased.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Just got out of it, enjoyed it and it kept me tense and on the edge of my seat. Want to see it again to really assess everything after it all unfolded.

Thought the acting was excellent, and the directing/cinematography/score was top notch. Peele really knows what he's doing with this genre.

Reactions: ORRFForever

PuckMasterZero

Mar 3, 2019

Low audience scores don't concern me. Suicide Squad has good audience scores. General audiences are moronic

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Do people not realize there is more to this movie than just being a "horror film"?

Once again, Peele does a great job inserting social issues into his film that actually make you think about the world.

The tethered are the poor class. Everything the upper class people (people above ground) do results in consequences and a poorer lifestyle of them. They have no control over it. They are often forgotten about and neglected by the government. Out there in the world, there is likely someone that could have became what you are today, but didn't because of different circumstances.

This is what sets Peele's films ahead of other horror films that just involve some old lady ghost terrorizing a family.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad