Movies: Us (2019 - Jordan Peele Directing)

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
5El.gif

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
This screened at SXSW last night and seems to be pretty positive reviews. Seems like it's a very different film from Get Out though as they are very different films.

I'm a little hesitant as I prefer thrillers without a supernatural element, like Get Out. Us seems to lean into that element though. But, positive initial response bodes well for it.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Been waiting for this for a while. We'll have to see if lightning strikes twice. Hopefully, it does.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Been waiting for this for a while. We'll have to see if lightning strikes twice. Hopefully, it does.

Feedback I've seen is that it's very good, and definitely a feeling of a director avoiding the sophomore jynx, but a more ambiguous and less audience friendly pic with less humour.

I'm still excited to see it, but I liked the conventional elements of Get Out. I understand why as a director he'd push beyond that nie that he's got more freedom though.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Peele won me over with Get out. I love his original ideas, he is easily one of the most creative directors in hollywood at the moment.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'm bumping this thread. I was hoping to go last night but had a last minute conflict. Reviews remain great (95% on RT) and tracking for a successful weekend at the box office.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
My review from another thread...

Us [2019] :

For a movie with such a concise title, Us is all over the map...

First, it's not scary. It's intense (the tension gave me a headache and left me shaky), suspenseful (lots of jumps), and funny (although some of the humour falls flat), but I never felt scared.

Second, the plot is a mess : Our clones come to visit, they're carrying scissors, and they're pissed off !

Last, if nothing else, Us is very entertaining and a visual feast. While not as good as Get Out, it comes close - Jordan Peele isn't afraid to make something very different.

During a time of the year when we get nothing but junk, Us will likely be the best and most memorable movie you see. While far from perfect, it's a lot of fun and well worth the price of admission.

8/10

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm watching the John Campea show from Youtube (for something else) but he talks about the movie around the 5 minute mark. He says it's good but some bits are disappointingly predictable.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Just saw this

Thought it was awful
1 on 10
Wouldn't recommend
:huh:

I saw it AGAIN, tonight, and the women I went with didn't like it, either.

After I walked her to her car, I chatted with another woman (on the way to my car) and she didn't like it !

As for me, I liked it as much the second time.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Like Get Out, it was good, not great. Scarier (though not that scary) but less funny. Interesting plot.

I feel like Peele earned himself a bunch of brownie points because Get Out was “edgy social commentary” and this was going to get universal praise no matter how it was.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Like Get Out, it was good, not great. Scarier (though not that scary) but less funny. Interesting plot.

I feel like Peele earned himself a bunch of brownie points because Get Out was “edgy social commentary” and this was going to get universal praise no matter how it was.
I thought Get Out was an amazing work and deserved the Best Picture Oscar nomination it received.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Decent movie. Wasn't scary at all. The family had Jack Bauer powers. The directing and editing were great. It wasn't close to Get Out.

I did appreciate using a Minnie Ripperton song. She was one of the greatest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad