Injury Report: Updates In 1st Post | Letang Out vs CBJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This is the best that could have been hoped for...He'll be back in time for a PO push and the POs...

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I actually dont mind this: obviously I would prefer that Schultz be healthy as he is a quality performer but, we can really see who cuts the mustard with our dgroup.

I think we accrue cap space as well. Let's see if the young dmen can take a step this year

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Big big loss. Transition game is gonna suffer.

Not really. The one thing JJ does well is outlet passes and carrying the puck and Riikola now gets to play 40+ games.

Plus Schultz is back in time for meaningful games.

Best case scenario. Not to mention it allows us to bank cap space and likely make a bigger forward acquisition to clear up the LW hole if Simon continues to suck.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Not really. The one thing JJ does well is outlet passes and carrying the puck and Riikola now gets to play 40+ games.

Plus Schultz is back in time for meaningful games.

Best case scenario. Not to mention it allows us to bank cap space and likely make a bigger forward acquisition to clear up the LW hole if Simon continues to suck.
if we can get Letang, Riikola, and Johnson playing well on three lines, I'll be so happy.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Well I said this last year...if you are gonna get injuries..better now than right before the playoffs. Our whole team stayed healthy all year then fell apart right before and during the playoffs..horrible timing.

Not only did we lose important players but we also didnt have young guys to step up because our team stayed healthy all year and they didnt get the opportunites. In the past we had injuries and saw our young guys get time in the reg season..which helped come playoff time.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I can't imagine he can train all that efficiently, so it might take longer to get back in to game shape after recover??

Yeah, it'll be good for him to get back into game action at the end of the year, but I wouldn't expect him to be close to speed or his usual effectiveness until next season. Look at serious leg injuries to Stamkos or Johansen, they needed basically a full year before looking normal again. But every break, fix and recovery is different.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I like how they always specify it was "successful" surgery, like there was a danger it would be botched and he'd lose the entire leg.
There is.

I had a friend, who used the same doctor that operates on the Steelers, go in for a foot procedure.

That procedure has gotten infected (for some reason the titanium wasn't sterile) and he might lose his foot.

Every surgery is a chance

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I like how they always specify it was "successful" surgery, like there was a danger it would be botched and he'd lose the entire leg.

Was just going to say this:
When is the last time you heard in the sports world that this was an "unsuccessful surgery"?

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Well here’s hoping that it was a clean break, and that’s generally better than ripping off every ligament attachment in terms of future stability. But ugh, poor Schultzy. Healing thoughts on the way.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Honestly only four months is a result compared to what I was fearing.

The question is what happens if it's a little more than 4 months? 4 months takes us to mid Feb. The NHL Trade deadline is Feb 25th. Two extra weeks takes us past the TD. Then there's also the question as to how he bounces back.

Given that this was probably going to be our best chance at another cup (roster wise with the insane depth we have), this is a brutal injury for us this season. The ONLY good thing about it - and this goes for injuries in general (if you can say that), is it gives us more time to evaluate Riikola and Oleksiak without having to sit someone nightly.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
The question is what happens if it's a little more than 4 months? 4 months takes us to mid Feb. The NHL Trade deadline is Feb 25th. Two extra weeks takes us past the TD. Then there's also the question as to how he bounces back.

Given that this was probably going to be our best chance at another cup (roster wise with the insane depth we have), this is a brutal injury for us this season. The ONLY good thing about it - and this goes for injuries in general (if you can say that), is it gives us more time to evaluate Riikola and Oleksiak without having to sit someone nightly.

It also likely determines what happens with Schultz in the offseason (he's a FA)

If the Pens do fine without him, well he's probably good as gone as he'll likely command a nice payday on the open market.
If they flounder, that increases his value to us = more $$ to keep him

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
My gf snapped her ankle on one of her more ridiculous attempts to try some extreme sports, I laughed, then got worried, then a few hours later she had a metal rod in her ankle and is a pain when we walk through airport metal detectors.

I hope Schultzy is back soon, that injury looked bad, I cringed, you all cringed, we all cringed together...poor guy. He went from being on a shitty team with a horrible situation to being on a good team with a weird history of injuries already compiled.

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It also likely determines what happens with Schultz in the offseason (he's a FA)

If the Pens do fine without him, well he's probably good as gone as he'll likely command a nice payday on the open market.
If they flounder, that increases his value to us = more $$ to keep him

It's a huge huge..HUGE opportunity for Riikola on the 2nd PP unit, but I think Justin's job is safe unless JR picks up a sneaky little trade of a RHD to add to this team. As it stands, he was our 2nd best of only 2 good RHD's on this team. Now it's all lefty's and Letang and the occasional shift that Ruhwedel will get.

Pens need to maybe look at a depth pick up for the right side, 4 months is a lot of time, you can lose a lot of ground even in a 82 game schedule if you don't sort it out while JS is out.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
It's a huge huge..HUGE opportunity for Riikola on the 2nd PP unit, but I think Justin's job is safe unless JR picks up a sneaky little trade of a RHD to add to this team. As it stands, he was our 2nd best of only 2 good RHD's on this team. Now it's all lefty's and Letang and the occasional shift that Ruhwedel will get.

Pens need to maybe look at a depth pick up for the right side, 4 months is a lot of time, you can lose a lot of ground even in a 82 game schedule if you don't sort it out while JS is out.

Agree with potentially losing a lot of ground
But disagree that they need a depth guy on the right side. Can't Rikko and Olek play both?

Believe they'll roll without Schultz for those 4 months unless another long term injury occurs. I think someone suggested Mike Green, that's a good replacement if the cost to acquire is right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad