Injury Report: Updates In 1st Post - Full Attendance at Practice (4.13)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Wonder if there wasn't a neck injury along with a concussion, and there was a setback?

I dunno, but this is starting to have a dejavu feeling to it.

Its basically the same type of thing that happened 2 years ago.

Day to day injury, skates by himself, but never progresses.

Then gets ruled out for the year.

Reactions: ncm7772

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Rust will be back for the weekend. If Letang is not in a red jersey Friday at a full practice, that is a problem. However I do think Letang is coming back and this weekend would be good. I just don't think Letang is in the same boat as 2017. Team is winning and no rush right now.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
3/6 Letang practices with the team in a no contact jersey.

3/7-3/11 Letang doesn't practice with the team anymore because of an Illness(not sure i buy that)

3/12 Letang takes morning skate with the team in a no contact jersey.

3/14 Letang is no longer practicing with the team

That just doesn't add up at all, that isn't how the Pens normally handle their injuries.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’m glad Letang is taking his time. He used to rush things all the ****ing time. As long as we are winning there is no pression on him to be back if he’s not at 100%. He’s going to be one of the most targeted player during the PO. I’m fine with this.

This isn't a question of taking his time vs rushing though any more. This is a question of "What's actually wrong and how bad is it" as the initial report and prognosis don't match what's happening.

Reactions: cheesedanish87

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
3/6 Letang practices with the team in a no contact jersey.

3/7-3/11 Letang doesn't practice with the team anymore because of an Illness(not sure i buy that)

3/12 Letang takes morning skate with the team in a no contact jersey.

3/14 Letang is no longer practicing with the team

That just doesn't add up at all, that isn't how the Pens normally handle their injuries.

Or maybe he just didn't travel with the team because he wasn't going to play tonight? I don't know why it needs to be some sort of conspiracy. He skated in Pittsburgh, so I don't see the problem here:

Reactions: Andy99

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Or maybe he just didn't travel with the team because he wasn't going to play tonight? I don't know why it needs to be some sort of conspiracy. He skated in Pittsburgh, so I don't see the problem here:

Why is Rust skating with the team then?

Does Rust enjoy Buffalo or something?

This isn't how they normally handle their injuries, that's why this is a problem.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
This isn't a question of taking his time vs rushing though any more. This is a question of "What's actually wrong and how bad is it" as the initial report and prognosis don't match what's happening.
What was the initial report and prognosis? I thought it was UBI, which could be anything? And DTD means anything from 1 day to infinity this time of year. I don't see the disconnect. It's too early for people to start freaking out and coming up with conspiracy theories. It's only been a little over 2 weeks.

If it is something like a strain, you take it day by day and see how it responds and you don't take contact until it is 100% healed. That fully matches what's happening.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Why is Rust skating with the team then?

Does Rust enjoy Buffalo or something?

This isn't how they normally handle their injuries, that's why this is a problem.
glass-half-full thinking, Rust is just starting to work his way back now. Getting him on the ice with the team is good and he can work with assistant coaches/conditioning team.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
glass-half-full thinking, Rust is just starting to work his way back now. Getting him on the ice with the team is good and he can work with assistant coaches/conditioning team.

They posted that tweet after i replied to his post.

I think the key word in that tweet is CLOSE. They bring players on the road to skate with the team when they are close to returning.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC

Most teams don’t disclose specifics about their star players so they don’t get targeted. Especially just before or during the playoffs. I don’t see where is the problem.

Letang not practicing with the team means he stayed in Pittsburgh because there is 0% of chances of him playing during the trip. Rust might be cleared to play if he feels ready enough to jump in thats why he traveled and is practicing with the team.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Most teams don’t disclose specifics about their star players so they don’t get targeted. Especially just before or during the playoffs. I don’t see where is the problem.

Letang not practicing with the team means he stayed in Pittsburgh because there is 0% of chances of him playing against Buffalo. Rust might be cleared to play if he feels ready enough to jump in thats why he traveled and his practicing with the team.

Their was a 0% percent chance Rust was going to play tonight.

He was in a no contact jersey, their is a process that players have to go through before they get cleared to play.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Letang has rickets.

JollyDefenselessBrownbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
You are right. Then idk I thought the trip was more than 1 game. Letang might be dead yo, add me to the conspiracy group

I think its like Sully said because Rust is close.

Rust skates with the team in no contact today.

Tomorrow the Pens have practice, Rust will probably skate in a contact jersey.

Saturday he plays. Of course that's assuming he doesn't have any setbacks.

My main point in all of this was Letang not being with the team means hes not close.

If Letang was close he would of skated with the team like Rust did today.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What was the initial report and prognosis? I thought it was UBI, which could be anything? And DTD means anything from 1 day to infinity this time of year. I don't see the disconnect. It's too early for people to start freaking out and coming up with conspiracy theories. It's only been a little over 2 weeks.

If it is something like a strain, you take it day by day and see how it responds and you don't take contact until it is 100% healed. That fully matches what's happening.

UBI, Day to Day, nothing serious - that's about all they said. And that shouldn't really be where we are, but you know, things happen so maybe it is and maybe it isn't. They got ZAR being day to day wrong too.

Where things get weird is the way he's gone from skating with the team to not. That's not something I'd expect from a fairly straight forwards UBI or a straight forwards recovery. That sounds like complications, or a regression of some sort.

And if its conspiracy theory to say a guy going from practicing with the team to not suggests something has gone wrong, then its conspiracy theory to say that snow is cold!

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Mackey seems to think something might be going on as well.

Jason Mackey's Penguins chat: 03.14.19

Jason Mackey

I agree with you, Jim. See my previous answer. Again, he was with the team for two days but didn't take contact. Was sick on a Thursday. Club was off Friday. When he wasn't with the team Saturday, I asked Sullivan if that represented a setback. Mike said no; Letang was sick. He and Olli did individual stuff Monday, Letang was back with the team in a non-contact capacity Tuesday. Travel day Wednesday, not with the club today. Anyway ... I suppose that he's staying home because he can get more done, but I would argue, again, that means he's not close

Is this 2017 all over again for Letang? A day to day neck injury that turns into neck surgery?

Jason Mackey

Again, I think it's fair to wonder those things. But I still think we're in an acceptable range here, before things get too crazy. ... If we're still playing this game in a week to 10 days, then I think we might have a problem.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Btw, I'm gonna guess a strain of some sort, and he did so much coughing while ill he re-strained it. Not that we'll ever know.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Hmmmm... best thing to do is just hope for the best. Not encouraged by this but gotta hope he’s gonna be back. No point in thinking the worst right now. Still a month to go.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I think that deep down we all knew that Letang’s injury wasn’t minor and that he wouldn’t be back anytime soon.

I’m quite certain that after practice tomorrow and no Letang to be seen, Sully will simply say “nothing to see here, everyone is progressing”...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think that deep down we all knew that Letang’s injury wasn’t minor and that he wouldn’t be back anytime soon.

I’m quite certain that after practice tomorrow and no Letang to be seen, Sully will simply say “nothing to see here, everyone is progressing”...

I mean, maybe...but I think they’re just being overly cautious given that it’s Letang and the team is doing fine atm without him...let him take his time...I’ll only be worried if he’s not available for the POs...

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
UBI, Day to Day, nothing serious - that's about all they said. And that shouldn't really be where we are, but you know, things happen so maybe it is and maybe it isn't. They got ZAR being day to day wrong too.

Where things get weird is the way he's gone from skating with the team to not. That's not something I'd expect from a fairly straight forwards UBI or a straight forwards recovery. That sounds like complications, or a regression of some sort.

And if its conspiracy theory to say a guy going from practicing with the team to not suggests something has gone wrong, then its conspiracy theory to say that snow is cold!
There are a couple of things you have to take into consideration though.

The treatment for a neck injury can involve ramping up and ramping back down at the first sign of stiffness or soreness. Similar to how they deal with groins. So, changes with where he's skating don't tell us anything significant. That's just a guess but the point is that it could be a variety of things with different roads to recovery.

The other thing is that he hasn't really gone from skating with the team to not in the sense that it's meaningful to us. First, he was sick. As far as today, it doesn't make much sense at all for him to have traveled with the team, because he isn't close and they weren't planning on him taking contact. I'm sure he welcomed the extra time with his family rather than traveling and staying in a hotel just to skate for a half hour.

I think it is something to keep an eye on but worrying about it is premature, IMO.

Also, the coldness of snow is relative. :thumbu:

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
With this team "sick" could mean anything from the flu to the bubonic plague. He probably stopped travelling with the team because he's being quarantined.

Wait...this just in...he does indeed have the plague. I have exclusive photos of Letang's house right now:
blogger-image-1454023568.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad