Thornton-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Vesey
Barabanov-Spezza-Simmonds

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Lethonen-Bogosian/Dermott

Anderson
Campbell

I feel the forward lines are initially going to see a lot of mixing, we’ll see what ultimately works, but I am very curious how Thornton would look on a line with Nylander and JT. His passing skills even now are undeniable and he would bring an element of grit I didn’t see enough off last year in the top 6. If that doesn’t work I would simply swap Vesey with Thornton. A Soup-Thornton-Kerfoot line could also look very good! Robertson I feel should be in this lineup, but not seeing who he bumps off.

Dermott I’m hoping will push Holl for that spot next to Muzzin.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
For people referencing the season we finished with 105 points, the only difference there was the team was healthier and our goaltending was elite in the regular season.

This year we didn't get any of those breaks.

This Leafs team under Keefe played SO much better than those teams, and much better defensively even though it won't show up with the goaltending numbers we got.

The 105 point year

2017/18 NHL team injury breakdowns

This year

2019/20 NHL team injury breakdowns

Tableau Public

Reactions: dmoney16

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Can Robertson play in WJC?
Also, who else in the Leafs system are eligible for the WJC and with which Countries? Thanks

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Can Robertson play in WJC?
Also, who else in the Leafs system are eligible for the WJC and with which Countries? Thanks

He can and he will.

Lots of eligibilities I’m sure but realistically we have these in the mix:

5 contenders for finland (kokkonen, niemela, hirvonen, Loponen, Miettinen)
3 for russia (amirov, abramov, akhtyamov as 3G)
2 for US (robertson, koster)

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Talked about the Leafs in my most recent video! Specifically about their off season (doing a Canadian teams off season segment)..Let me know what you think! Comments are appreciated! :) Cheers!

Good analysis of the offseason. I agree that the many of the moves were more about grit and leadership, which is exactly what we need.

You're 100% right able Brodie being the most important move. He's going to balance and strengthen the D core.

One guy you didn't touch on is Russian FA Alexander Barabanov. Supposedly he'll be competitive for a bottom 6 forward spot.

I disagree about the Johnsson trade. Kapanen is the better of the two by a longshot and is far less injury prone. The options for the Leafs were to trade Johnsson for a 2nd or Anderson and they liked Joey more. We couldn't keep Johnsson regardless though as he would put us over the cap.

Great job overall. Nice to see impartial analysis.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Apparently Jan 1st is not a date set in stone; anyone else as desperate for some hockey right now as I am? or is it just me?

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Talked about the Leafs in my most recent video! Specifically about their off season (doing a Canadian teams off season segment)..Let me know what you think! Comments are appreciated! :) Cheers!

You are absolutely right sire on your analyzis of these thangs and correct all the way. You see it straight and know ice hockey period. Two words I would have emphasized though would have been CHEAP and CHEMISTRY on these suckas. We got our new suckas cheap, only 700k thornton and simmonds etc like 1.5mil and some other fools for that 700K also. No other organization such as our legendary toronto maple leafs would have been able to do that. Simmonds took a low ball on the money cause he WANTED to be us. A maple leaf for life. Y'all already know sire. So this was the thang you should emphasize more. We got our fools real cheap. Also Joe and Simmonds was brought because they change the whole chemistry and energy in a whole different direction. These are real vocal players who are always talking and yelling something. Unlike our current fools. So this thang will change (no matter what). This the thang sire, other than that you saw everything correctly and really know ice hockey so therefore huge propst here and you just made the toronto maple leafs organization even more legendary. I for one will be investing even more money in the organization and club :clap:

Reactions: al secord

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
HymanMatthewsMarner
NylanderTavaresMikheyev
KerfootThorntonVesey
EngvallSpezzaSimmonds
BarabanovBoydAnderson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
RiellyBrodie
MuzzinHoll
LehtonenBogosian
RosenDermott
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Andersen
Campbell
Dell
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

*** I honestly can't see Dermott as an extra... It would tank his value and development

Reactions: qqaz

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
HymanMatthewsMarner
NylanderTavaresMikheyev
KerfootThorntonVesey
EngvallSpezzaSimmonds
BarabanovBoydAnderson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
RiellyBrodie
MuzzinHoll
LehtonenBogosian
RosenDermott
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Andersen
Campbell
Dell
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
*** I honestly can't see Dermott as an extra... It would tank his value and development

Who does he play above?

Sandin and Lilly are easily ahead of Rosen

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
For people referencing the season we finished with 105 points, the only difference there was the team was healthier and our goaltending was elite in the regular season.

This year we didn't get any of those breaks.

This Leafs team under Keefe played SO much better than those teams, and much better defensively even though it won't show up with the goaltending numbers we got.

The 105 point year

2017/18 NHL team injury breakdowns

This year

2019/20 NHL team injury breakdowns

Tableau Public

Further to this... if you scratch out Hutch and KK from our records, Campbell and Andersen's records translate to a 102 point season, prorated. That's with Andersen having a down year, and a ton of injuries... I don't think the difference in the years is that great... but what is in the past, is in the past now, and let's hope this squad moves forward.... Regular season points, doesn't matter too much, it's playoff success, and the 17/18 team, didn't fare any better than 19/20.... but, let's move forward.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Further to this... if you scratch out Hutch and KK from our records, Campbell and Andersen's records translate to a 102 point season, prorated. That's with Andersen having a down year, and a ton of injuries... I don't think the difference in the years is that great... but what is in the past, is in the past now, and let's hope this squad moves forward.... Regular season points, doesn't matter too much, it's playoff success, and the 17/18 team, didn't fare any better than 19/20.... but, let's move forward.
Campbell had a 96 pt pace
Andy 103 pt pace

the team was different levels of crap without Andy in net

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Campbell had a 96 pt pace
Andy 103 pt pace

the team was different levels of crap without Andy in net

Problem is, Andersen was crap last year by his standards. He needs to bounce back.

If Andersen put up the numbers he did in the previous years, the Leafs would have had a ton more points, even with the Hutch disaster

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Problem is, Andersen was crap last year by his standards. He needs to bounce back.

If Andersen put up the numbers he did in the previous years, the Leafs would have had a ton more points, even with the Hutch disaster
and if the team played better defense instead of just looking to pad there stats the team would have had more points

Reactions: qqaz

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
and if the team played better defense instead of just looking to pad there stats the team would have had more points

If the team had played better defense, yes, they might have had more points.

I see no evidence that they were trying to pad their stats, but do find such unsubstantiated hyperbole to be ridiculous.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If the team had played better defense, yes, they might have had more points.

I see no evidence that they were trying to pad their stats, but do find such unsubstantiated hyperbole to be ridiculous.
i see plenty of evidence but then again i'm trying to be objective as opposed to having a pre determined opinion and ignoring any and all evidence like you seem to be doing

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
i see plenty of evidence but then again i'm trying to be objective as opposed to having a pre determined opinion and ignoring any and all evidence like you seem to be doing

Exactly how do you have evidence, that players intentionally, and consciously, made decisions to pad their stats, over playing defense? What evidence is there? Quotes? Links to such evidence?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Leafs were much better defensively this year than any other year Andersen played for them.

He didn't hold up his end of the bargain.

Middle of the pack defensively, but bottom of the pack for goaltending, not a good combo.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Exactly how do you have evidence, that players intentionally, and consciously, made decisions to pad their stats, over playing defense? What evidence is there? Quotes? Links to such evidence?
Tavares positioning himself below the puck away from the play in the o-zone which pulls him out of the position a C should be in

Hyman always blowing the d-zone before the puck is out of our end

players dragging there asses back on the back check hoping for a turnover so they can get fed up ice in the clear

i could keep going on but it'll be a waste of time since you've already decided it's all Andy's fault we give up so many goals

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Leafs were much better defensively this year than any other year Andersen played for them.

He didn't hold up his end of the bargain.

Middle of the pack defensively, but bottom of the pack for goaltending, not a good combo.
and you have shot attempt stats to prove it , lol

love these shot attempt stats like x/goals which now have become gospel but also say

-if Mathews and Marner take a shot from the same area the chances of goal being scored are exactly the same
-don't take into account whether the player taking the shot shot has the time and space to load up and pick a spot or is being checked and just whacking the puck towards the net
-says a shot on a breakaway and a shot from a guy who is being checked have the exact same chance of going in if it's taken from the same area

yup , hell of a great stat if you ignore all the flaws which make it useless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad