Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Curious what everyone's thinking on how quickly thing will start to unfold this off-season

How quickly will we see the coaching changes, further front office changes, ect
Staois seems to be the type to be much more methodical than the last guy.
I think we are going to have to learn to be very patient and not expect any big 'flashy' moves.

All in all, this is a good thing but I can see some fans getting impatient with the process and wanting to see more.

Reactions: Icelevel and Loach

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
You guys thinking that they are gonna wait to see if coaches like Sullivan, Keefe, BrindAmour, or even Cooper become available after the 1st round, where they are actually just waiting to see if Jon Gruden from the Marlies season to end hahahahahahaa.

Reactions: NB613 and gab6511

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Staois seems to be the type to be much more methodical than the last guy.
I think we are going to have to learn to be very patient and not expect any big 'flashy' moves.

All in all, this is a good thing but I can see some fans getting impatient with the process and wanting to see more.
Yes fans can be a problem at times

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That would be completely unacceptable. Fanbase should riot if that happens.

We need a veteran coach that can whip this team into shape, not another nepotism hire.
Gruden is probably a better hire than a vast majority of the dinosaurs getting fired and rehired every 2 years

You want a guy to teach defensive structure, he is high on the list

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
You guys thinking that they are gonna wait to see if coaches like Sullivan, Keefe, BrindAmour, or even Cooper become available after the 1st round, where they are actually just waiting to see if Jon Gruden from the Marlies season to end hahahahahahaa.
If we have a play-in round against the Marlies and win.. should we really hire him?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He has a grand total of one season of head coaching experience at the professional level coaching a stacked Marlies roster to a middling season.

Zero reason to think he's the best coach available for this team.
There’s no reason to think he isn’t the best, or one of the best options.

He’s extremely adept at defensive structure, he doesn’t let players call the shots and isn’t afraid to be the bad guy, he does what he thinks is best for the team regardless of marching orders, and is still loved by his players even when he is a hardass (was fired for refusing to play the owners son, and was then rehired a day later when the Firebirds walked out and refused to play unless he was rehired).

Everything this team has sucked at, he’s known for. Getting the most of his players, strong 2 way play, defensive structure, not letting the inmates run the show, benching players when their play is poor.

He’s a very good option for this team, regardless of his tenure.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
There’s no reason to think he isn’t the best, or one of the best options.

He’s extremely adept at defensive structure, he doesn’t let players call the shots and isn’t afraid to be the bad guy, he does what he thinks is best for the team regardless of marching orders, and is still loved by his players even when he is a hardass (was fired for refusing to play the owners son, and was then rehired a day later when the Firebirds walked out and refused to play unless he was rehired).

Everything this team has sucked at, he’s known for. Getting the most of his players, strong 2 way play, defensive structure, not letting the inmates run the show, benching players when their play is poor.

He’s a very good option for this team, regardless of his tenure.

Not calling you a liar, but how do you come to know so much about his system and his relationship with his players?

He'd be a rookie head coach with no prior experience in the role. We've had so many issues with inexperienced head coaches in the past, even ones with promising track records at lower levels.

Why go that route when there are guys available like Berube, Evason, etc... with established track records of getting results and the best out of their players at the NHL level?

We need a non-players coach. Someone who is going to demand accountability, establish a structured game and not be afraid to call players out or even sit their asses if they refuse to play a consistent two-way game.

Not necessarily Torts level, but I've had just enough of players coaches who baby our young players. If Gruden ends up being that guy, fantastic, but I would have serious doubts he's legitimately the BCA or just a guy Staios/Andlauer are familiar with and like.

Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He has a grand total of one season of head coaching experience at the professional level coaching a stacked Marlies roster to a middling season.

Zero reason to think he's the best coach available for this team.
Bruh we just drafted this guy a couple years ago

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not calling you a liar, but how do you come to know so much about his system and his relationship with his players?

He'd be a rookie head coach with no prior experience in the role. We've had so many issues with inexperienced head coaches in the past, even ones with promising track records at lower levels.

Why go that route when there are guys available like Berube, Evason, etc... with established track records of getting results and the best out of their players at the NHL level?

We need a non-players coach. Someone who is going to demand accountability, establish a structured game and not be afraid to call players out or even sit their asses if they refuse to play a consistent two-way game.

Not necessarily Torts level, but I've had just enough of players coaches who baby our young players. If Gruden ends up being that guy, fantastic, but I would have serious doubts he's legitimately the BCA or just a guy Staios/Andlauer are familiar with and like.

I know half the Growlers, half their roster from the past few years are guys that I played with or know socially, a few have played in Toronto this year, and they all play and are friends with guys who played under Gruden this year. With Grudens name popping up months ago I asked what he was like.

They were all coached by, and are still friends with Eric Wellwood, Grudens assistant.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't love the idea of Gruden either, mostly because I'm unfamiliar and other names are out there, but I think it's different under the new ownership group.

The last rounds of hiring were done with the Melnyk requirement that they had to make a low salary, or "walk on water" should they want more, which was obviously just code for not gonna happen.

I don't believe that'd be the reason the new group would go with Gruden. Could it be nepotism, sure, but it's not as comparable as it appears imo. I think they would be hiring him because he is THE GUY they want, not because he's the best available out of a cheap pool they've intentionally reduced themselves to.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Ive never heard of Gruden. How can he be any good if i never heard of him? He's not even famous and we're thinking of bringing him in? He has never been fired from an NHL team for not being good enough to get his team where they needed to go. What is Staios planning, to interview and decide on the best coach regardless of how famous they are? This cant possibly work.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Ive never heard of Gruden. How can he be any good if i never heard of him? He's not even famous and we're thinking of bringing him in? He has never been fired from an NHL team for not being good enough to get his team where they needed to go. What is Staios planning, to interview and decide on the best coach regardless of how famous they are? This cant possibly work.

You've never heard of a former Ottawa Senator; whose son was also drafted by Ottawa and traded in the Matt Murray acquisition?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
That would be completely unacceptable. Fanbase should riot if that happens.

We need a veteran coach that can whip this team into shape, not another nepotism hire.

John Gruden played 22 games for the Sens. Dudes had a Sens jersey hanging in his house since 1998. Lived through Y2K in Ottawa, danced to Prince’s “We’re going to Party like it’s 1999” at Barrymooore’s on NYE 1999 with Grant Ledyard and Joe Juneau

(Dude played games with Alfie, Hossa, Redden, Fisher, Philllips - that’s gotta count for something)

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
John Gruden played 22 games for the Sens. Dudes had a Sens jersey hanging in his house since 1998. Lived through Y2K in Ottawa, danced to Prince’s “We’re going to Party like it’s 1999” at Barrymooore’s on NYE 1999 with Grant Ledyard and Joe Juneau

(Dude played games with Alfie, Hossa, Redden, Fisher, Philllips - that’s gotta count for something)
No way DJ Smith listens to Prince.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'd be more open to Gruden if he wasn't going to be the 2nd nepotism hire for a new owner who promised "best in class".

This team has also had (mostly) bad luck with first time hires and are coming off another first time NHL head coach who couldn't get the job done/actively held the team back.

I'm sure Gruden is fine and if he's hired I'll sell myself on him but he's going to be more of the same (in a sense) for a team that has cheaped out at the position for far too long.

EDIT: Cronyism for the pedants

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad