Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Atta boy Steve! Let the purge continue! While your at it, please fire the usher in my section. The doofus always lets people down the aisle when the play is on!!

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Have been saying for close to a decade that our Pro scouting has been incredibly bad, League worst without a shadow of a doubt.

This is fantastic news, it was legitimately one of the most pressing needs in the entire organization.

This is going to be a different looking organization come the draft and UFA period, and that’s very exciting.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Have been saying for close to a decade that our Pro scouting has been incredibly bad, League worst without a shadow of a doubt.

This is fantastic news, it was legitimately one of the most pressing needs in the entire organization.

This is going to be a different looking organization come the draft and UFA period, and that’s very exciting.
Any idea why he stopped there

Why didn't he also fire Steve Stirling, Mark Flood, & Bob Janecyk.

Steve Stirling been in pro Scouting with Ottawa forever, also been part of our Pro Scouting whose been bad.

Think more are coming ?

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

Steve Stirling been in pro Scouting with Ottawa forever, also been part of our Pro Scouting whose been bad.

Think more are coming ?

If more cuts are coming it will be soon.

I'm sure they want scouting staff comfortably set up by the time the draft rolls around. Even the pro scouts.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Think more are coming ?
Would imagine they are just making the buck stop with the guys at top.

Murphy was the head pro scout this year, and Clark was the head pro scout from 2014-2023.

Murphy probably gets a bit of the benefit of the doubt as he was only in charge for a few months, but he’s been one of the go to guys since returning from Buffalo a few years ago.

Janecyk is an Amateur scout with the Sens, not really one to be cut with moves from the professional side.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Murphy was the head pro scout this year, and Clark was the head pro scout from 2014-2023.

Murphy probably gets a bit of the benefit of the doubt as he was only in charge for a few months, but he’s been one of the go to guys since returning from Buffalo a few years ago.

Janecyk is an Amateur scout with the Sens, not really one to be cut with moves from the professional side.
Should be interesting what new names appear next month

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’m not sure there’s been more than 2/3 acquisition from the pro scouting side of thing in the past decade, outside of Giroux, that have been positives. Demelo would be the best by a county mile.

McArthur was great, he jumped over a year before Clark took over.

Stepan
Gudbranson
J. Brown
Tierny
M. Murray
Korpisalo
DBC
Chychrun
Duclair
Legwant
Demelo
Duchene
Chiasson
Phaneuf
Brassard
Pyatt (Boucher gets credit here)
Wingles - Was not good, but came during a good season, so perfectly fine
Stalberg - Same as Wingles
Burrows
Thomsoson
Oduya
Bowdker
Gibbons
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Lindberg
Pajaarvi
C. Brown
Ennis

Namestikov
Rielly
Dadonov
Joseph
Watson (wasn’t needed, whatsoever, but filled his role fine)

Anisimov
Galchenyuk
Mete
Gambrell
Gauthier

It’s a real hodge podge of guys, where it really isn’t surprising it never worked out.

• Love
Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023

A tad disappointing if they don't clean house fully with Steve Stirling and Flood, as you don't really know how bad of pro Scouting they contributed to over the years ...

Who do you think they'll hire ? Any ideas
Would Bowness or Poulie try to poach from previous organizations?

And for Bob Janecyk - if I'm not mistaken wasn't he on the Pro Scouting side up until 18/2019 or so, and then got tucked away by Dorion into the amateur side to hide his mistakes

I know EliteHockey has his as amateur scout since 99' but I don't believe that to be fully accurate as pretty sure he was reflected as Pro Scout for years before 2019 seasons. If anyone knows ?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
A tad disappointing if they don't clean house fully with Steve Stirling and Flood, as you don't really know how bad of pro Scouting they contributed to over the years ...

Who do you think they'll hire ? Any ideas
Would Bowness or Poulie try to poach from previous organizations?

And for Bob Janecyk - if I'm not mistaken wasn't he on the Pro Scouting side up until 18/2019 or so, and then got tucked away by Dorion into the amateur side to hide his mistakes

I know EliteHockey has his as amateur scout since 99' but I don't believe that to be fully accurate as pretty sure he was reflected as Pro Scout for years before 2019 seasons. If anyone knows ?
He’s been amateur for a long while, at the bare minimum 2012.

He was the guy who was behind the Tim Boyle draft pick.

He probably bounces around

Last edited:

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I’m not sure there’s been more than 2/3 acquisition from the pro scouting side of thing in the past decade, outside of Giroux, that have been positives. Demelo would be the best by a county mile.

Stepan
Gudbranson
J. Brown
Tierny
M. Murray
Korpisalo
DBC
Chychrun
Duclair
Legwant
Demelo
Duchene
Chiasson
Phaneuf
Brassard
Burrows
Thomsoson
Oduya
Bowdker
Gibbons
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Lindberg
Pajaarvi
C. Brown
Ennis

Namestikov
Rielly
Dadonov
Joseph

Anisimov
Galchenyuk
Mete
Gambrell
Gauthier

It’s a real hodge podge of guys, where it really isn’t surprising it never worked out.
This is nuts.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
It’s really hard to know where Dorion ended and the pro-scouts began, but regardless it’s nice to see changes.

We’ll have to wait and see what happens but so far I think we’re in good hands with Staios.

Reactions: senswon

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Staois is cleaning house - GM, coach, goalie coach, assistant coaches, scouts - obviously not impressed with what he saw under the hood
Well if the car is running like absolute shit…

Stepan
Gudbranson
J. Brown
Tierny
M. Murray
Korpisalo
DBC
Chychrun
Duclair
Legwant
Demelo
Duchene
Chiasson
Phaneuf
Brassard
Burrows
Thomsoson
Oduya
Bowdker
Gibbons
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Lindberg
Pajaarvi
C. Brown
Ennis

Namestikov
Rielly
Dadonov
Joseph

Anisimov
Galchenyuk
Mete
Gambrell
Gauthier

I totally forgot about paajarvi. Man that and galchenyuk would be hilarious jerseys to own.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Stepan
Gudbranson
J. Brown
Tierny
M. Murray
Korpisalo
DBC
Chychrun
Duclair
Legwant
Demelo
Duchene
Chiasson
Phaneuf
Brassard
Burrows
Thomsoson
Oduya
Bowdker
Gibbons
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Lindberg
Pajaarvi
C. Brown
Ennis

Namestikov
Rielly
Dadonov
Joseph

Anisimov
Galchenyuk
Mete
Gambrell
Gauthier

Take HHOFer Tierney out of the bad list. ;)

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

Stepan
Gudbranson
J. Brown
Tierny
M. Murray
Korpisalo
DBC
Chychrun
Duclair
Legwant
Demelo
Duchene
Chiasson
Phaneuf
Brassard
Burrows
Thomsoson
Oduya
Bowdker
Gibbons
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Lindberg
Pajaarvi
C. Brown
Ennis

Namestikov
Rielly
Dadonov
Joseph

Anisimov
Galchenyuk
Mete
Gambrell
Gauthier

How about Scott Gomez and Marian Gaborik? Or is that under different pro scouts? We seemed to think we needed veteran, stiff-legged bottom-six forwards past their prime.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
How about Scott Gomez and Marian Gaborik? Or is that under different pro scouts? We seemed to think we needed veteran, stiff-legged bottom-six forwards past their prime.
Gomez was just a fill in at the end of a season because of injuries, not going to blame anyone from bringing him on to end the season.

Gaborik as well was just a trade to get rid of Phaneuf and his contract.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa

Stepan
Gudbranson
J. Brown
Tierny
M. Murray
Korpisalo
DBC
Chychrun
Duclair
Legwant
Demelo
Duchene
Chiasson
Phaneuf
Brassard
Burrows
Thomsoson
Oduya
Bowdker
Gibbons
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Lindberg
Pajaarvi
C. Brown
Ennis

Namestikov
Rielly
Dadonov
Joseph

Anisimov
Galchenyuk
Mete
Gambrell
Gauthier

I actually think it turns out Watson was incredibly underrated. We were known as a very physical team his entire tenure here, and the second he's out the door we are emasculated.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Stepan
Gudbranson
J. Brown
Tierny
M. Murray
Korpisalo
DBC
Chychrun
Duclair
Legwant
Demelo
Duchene
Chiasson
Phaneuf
Brassard
Burrows
Thomsoson
Oduya
Bowdker
Gibbons
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Lindberg
Pajaarvi
C. Brown
Ennis

Namestikov
Rielly
Dadonov
Joseph

Anisimov
Galchenyuk
Mete
Gambrell
Gauthier

That looks like a lost and found list of players.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Gomez was just a fill in at the end of a season because of injuries, not going to blame anyone from bringing him on to end the season.

Gaborik as well was just a trade to get rid of Phaneuf and his contract.

Plus gaborik scored at a 20 goal pace here and was on his last legs.

It was actually cool to have guys like Gomez and Gaborik ( and to a lesser extent svatos) play some games in Ottawa before retiring lol.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Staois has alot on his plate this summer

The biggest by far is Changing the Losing mindset of this team

This team of Losers .... it's almost like they're totally cool with not making the playoffs.

Like they care but not really, as it's not the end of the world if they miss with their guaranteed 7 figure contracts, over multiple years.

What will make them really Care ?

How does Steve Staios get them to be keyed-up and self driven ...? Biggest question he needs answers to

Last edited:

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
They should have been fired the moment Dorion traded a high 2nd for a cap dump in Stepan, but I guess better late than never.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad