UPDATE - Sanderson documentary now online

Dreghorn2

He's a Good Boy!
Feb 8, 2005
I just watched it. That was a brutal multiple sucker punch attack by Sanderson. He should have been banned from hockey at that point.

Having played hockey during that era i can say that as violent as that seemed, and it was, that was a far from unusual occurrence.

When the benches cleared, or there was a fight/scrum, you learned to keep your head on a swivel.

I've been on the receiving end of a couple of those exchanges.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
If you are intimating what I think you are, remember that Derek Sanderson was a star in this league, then the highest paid athlete in the world, and those "off ice activities" had him bounced from 4 teams and sleeping on a park bench 7 years after winning the Cup. I hope that story would stand as a cautionary tale of where a budding superstar can end up if he lets booze, drugs, and women get the better of him.

You have to remember that Derek had ulcerative colitis during the 1972 spring and all the playoffs. Ace Bailey was centering his line, and scored the winning goal in Game 1 of the SCP finals. Derek was only killing penalties.

He took glucocorticoids for the condition, which dried his hip sockets and caused a lot of pain. That led, not to the drinking problem, but to the problem with other drugs.

Also before the WHA launched in 1972, players made tiny salaries. Dale Rolfe, the Rangers #2 dman in 72, worked as a plumber during the offseason. It was common for players to have summer jobs because their hockey salaries didn't pay the bills. Camille Henry, who played many years for Montreal and the Rangers, had diabetes and was penniless.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
You have to remember that Derek had ulcerative colitis during the 1972 spring and all the playoffs. Ace Bailey was centering his line, and scored the winning goal in Game 1 of the SCP finals. Derek was only killing penalties.

He took glucocorticoids for the condition, which dried his hip sockets and caused a lot of pain. That led, not to the drinking problem, but to the problem with other drugs.

Also before the WHA launched in 1972, players made tiny salaries. Dale Rolfe, the Rangers #2 dman in 72, worked as a plumber during the offseason. It was common for players to have summer jobs because their hockey salaries didn't pay the bills. Camille Henry, who played many years for Montreal and the Rangers, had diabetes and was penniless.

And what does all this have to do with a poster comparing fans back then to "modern day fans" who can't take a little bit of partying from star players (*cough* Seguin *cough*)?

And Derek's drug of choice was cocaine. I've never heard of pain from colitis or hip degeneration leading to a massive cocaine habit. Opiates, yes. But not cocaine. :shakehead

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
And what does all this have to do with a poster comparing fans back then to "modern day fans" who can't take a little bit of partying from star players (*cough* Seguin *cough*)?

And Derek's drug of choice was cocaine. I've never heard of pain from colitis or hip degeneration leading to a massive cocaine habit. Opiates, yes. But not cocaine. :shakehead

I can guarantee you that is real.

I have seen both my late dad as well as my wife hospitalized because of it when it flares up.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I can guarantee you that is real.

I have seen both my late dad as well as my wife hospitalized because of it when it flares up.

Oh I know colitis is painful. As is hip degeneration. But Derek's "other drug" of choice (besides booze) was cocaine, and I've never heard that kind of pain leading to cocaine use, which is what the poster inferred:

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
I read part of his book. Sanderson had a real fear of flying, that is what he said led to his beginning to drinking heavily (on flights).

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005

He took things other than cocaine. Cocaine is extremely addicting, perhaps the most addicting of all drugs.

And don't give me the head shake. You are out of your league on this topic.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
He took things other than cocaine. Cocaine is extremely addicting, perhaps the most addicting of all drugs.

And don't give me the head shake. You are out of your league on this topic.

He took barbiturates to sleep, and painkillers. Which can be attributed to his hips and colitis. But his main addiction was to booze and cocaine, neither of which can be fully attributable to self-medication for pain. Even Derek stated his addictions were due to the mask he wore in public vs. his private persona and the internal fight raging between the two. Stating all his drug use was due to colitis and the aftereffects of treatment is a weak assumption, especially if you go by the statements of Derek himself.

And you have no idea what league I'm in or out of on this topic.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Once,I broke my ankle but instead of going to the hospital I stayed home and did an 8 ball and some beers with a couple of pals. The pain was tolerable til the AM.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Telling a guy at work about this and he scoffed...

...blah blah what don't we know about him.

I spent the next two hours popping in with "did ya knows" and he failed at most.

:D

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
anybody get this to stream on chromecast? Almost all video streams will work with it but this one would not..
:(

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
He took barbiturates to sleep, and painkillers. Which can be attributed to his hips and colitis. But his main addiction was to booze and cocaine, neither of which can be fully attributable to self-medication for pain. Even Derek stated his addictions were due to the mask he wore in public vs. his private persona and the internal fight raging between the two. Stating all his drug use was due to colitis and the aftereffects of treatment is a weak assumption, especially if you go by the statements of Derek himself.

And you have no idea what league I'm in or out of on this topic.

As I said, cocaine is the most addicting, but he was certainly addicted to the barbituates and the pain killers, which proves my point that you are out of your league on this topic.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Bryan Fogarty (June 11, 1969 – March 6, 2002) was a Canadian ice hockey defenceman who played for the Quebec Nordiques, Pittsburgh Penguins and Montreal Canadiens. A great star in the junior leagues and a high draft choice in the National Hockey League, his career was marred by persistent alcohol and drug use, which prevented him from playing a full season at any point and led to him being frequently traded.

Pelle Lindbergh, Terry Sawchuk and Tim Horton also come to mind.

Bob Probert

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
As I said, cocaine is the most addicting, but he was certainly addicted to the barbituates and the pain killers, which proves my point that you are out of your league on this topic.

You claimed that his drug use was solely due to his hips, which even he said is not true. But I'm the one who is out of my league? :shakehead

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
You claimed that his drug use was solely due to his hips, which even he said is not true. But I'm the one who is out of my league? :shakehead

I did NOT say that the hip problem led to ALL of his drug problems.

I would not make a mistake of saying that he took cocaine to dull his pain. I wouldn't make an elementary mistake like that. I've published in medical and scientific journals on several, but not all, of these drugs.

Throughout this entire thread you've taken off on posters, just trying to be a jerk.

Clearly the guy had issues with a number of drugs; that's not unusual. He was addicted, at a minimum, to cocaine, pain killers, and nicotine. I read an interview many years ago where he talked about how the hip problem led to his abuse of pain killers. Was he already addicted to cocaine in 1972? I don't know.

And, finally, you're assertion that Derek was a superstar is patently absurb. Were you even around when Derek played? I was and saw Derek play. He was a third-line center, ace penalty killer, and disturber. He was a valuable member of the Bs Cup winning teams, but he never anything more than a star.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I have a Derek Sanderson story I'd like to share.

As you all know, he has been speaking at schools for a long time about the dangers of drug and alcohol abuse.

He was speaking at a local High School in the late 1980s and a friend of mine ("Joe" - a huge Bruins fan) managed to finagle his way into a front row seat in the auditorium.

For some reason Joe had something to say to the guy sitting next to him that couldn't wait until after Derek was finished speaking. Joe was so wrapped up in his conversation that he didn't notice Sanderson stroll over to where he was sitting until he (Sanderson) smashed his cane against the armrest of the seat Joe was sitting in. Joe says that Sanderson's cane struck the armrest about 1/2 inch from where his hand was. One half-inch away from breaking my friend's hand.

Derek says to Joe in a very casual tone; "do not talk when I am speaking."

Joe replies; "y-yes sir, Mr. Sanderson."

Derek Sanderson returns to his presentation as if nothing happened...

I wasn't there, but I know my friend; and I believe every word of this story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad