UPDATE - Sanderson documentary now online

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This looks interesting

One-Hour Documentary Chronicles Two-Time Stanley Cup Champion’s Journey from World’s Highest-Paid Athlete to Homeless Alcoholic to Respected Financial Adviser

NBC Sports Films’ first project, Center of Attention: The Unreal Life of Derek Sanderson, a one-hour documentary that chronicles the remarkable life of former NHL star and two-time Stanley Cup Champion Derek Sanderson, will premiere on NBCSN on Monday, June 8, following Game 3 of the 2015 Stanley Cup Final.

“Storytelling has always been a prominent component of NBC Sports’ coverage of signature events. We are excited to expand those efforts and further serve our audience by providing additional long-form content across all NBC Sports Group platforms,†said Mark Levy, Senior Vice President, Original Productions and Creative, NBC Sports Group. “Our debut film, Center of Attention, is a compelling portrait of the extraordinary life of Derek Sanderson, who has lived the highest of highs and the most challenging lows a life in the spotlight can produce.â€

Narrated by Boston native, Primetime Emmy Award-nominee and star of Mad Men John Slattery, Center of Attention follows Sanderson’s journey from humble beginnings, to becoming the highest paid athlete of his time, only to eventually end up homeless, broke and addicted to drugs and alcohol. Through interviews with former teammates, coaches, friends, rivals, and Sanderson himself, viewers get an inside look into his eccentric and reckless life that ultimately features a fourth act fitting of a Hollywood screenplay, as Sanderson is able to get clean and become a respected financial adviser for top athletes.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The rise and fall and rise again of Derek Sanderson, one of Boston’s most beloved sports iconoclasts, has always remained in the consciousness of fans around here.

But his remarkable and ultimately redemptive story may not be as familiar to hockey fans in other markets, which is a major reason why NBC Sports Group chose Sanderson as the subject for the initial offering of its fledgling “30 for 30â€-style sports documentary arm, NBC Sports Films.

Co
NBC Sports Network will air “Center of Attention: The Unreal Life of Derek Sanderson†on Monday, June 8, following Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final. Sanderson, the Joe Namath of hockey who for a time in the 1970s was the highest-paid athlete in the world, has a life story worthy of a mini-series. The film, narrated by actor and Boston native John Slattery, runs just an hour. But it should make for a terrific hour.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...ary-kickoff/snqh9833h9F135p61Iya9J/story.html

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Has anyone ever encountered him in a social situation?

A friend of mine had corporate tickets diagonally behind Derek and Fred Cusick. Before each game he's always nod his head at us when he noticed us (amongst many others) and say "how ya doin' fella's). I don't know if that a "social situation" per-se but he never really failed to say hello.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
A friend of mine had corporate tickets diagonally behind Derek and Fred Cusick. Before each game he's always nod his head at us when he noticed us (amongst many others) and say "how ya doin' fella's). I don't know if that a "social situation" per-se but he never really failed to say hello.

I did once and he wasn't very cordial,I sat with him for an hour at a fund raiser. I was disillusioned but he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I did once and he wasn't very cordial,I sat with him for an hour at a fund raiser. I was disillusioned but he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Derek can be very grumpy at times. It is his nature.

Reminder the show airs tonight after Game 3 but exact start time is unknown. My guide is saying Midnight

It will air on June 16th at 8:30 PM on NBCSN in a secure timeslot

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Derek can be very grumpy at times. It is his nature.

Reminder the show airs tonight after Game 3 but exact start time is unknown. My guide is saying Midnight

It will air on June 16th at 8:30 PM on NBCSN in a secure timeslot

Thanks for this, as I probably won't be up to watch @ 12 am.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
This is great. However perhaps not a good documentary for the modern day PC hockey fan.

The Turk w/ a dart hanging out of his mouth after a game. What a character.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is great. However perhaps not a good documentary for the modern day PC hockey fan.

The Turk w/ a dart hanging out of his mouth after a game. What a character.

Hearing the voice of Don Earle doing the calls is giving me flashbacks.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
It documents that the Bruins first round vs NYR was the the toughest series the Bruins had in 1970. I have said that for years but now I have video proof.

Never stepped foot in Bachelors III but Daisy's I could write a book about :laugh:

I wasn't old enough to drink in the early days of Daisy's, but I could write the sequel to your book - Daisy Buchanan's - The 1980's. My 6'3" 220 lb. best friend fawning over Cam Neely like a 5 year old and getting the 'L' on the forehead from Cam was the single most embarrassing moment of his life.

Last edited:

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Has anyone ever encountered him in a social situation?

I met him a long, long time ago at a private country club my dad belonged to. He was a frequent guest of one of the members. Couldn't have been a nicer guy, he was funny and willing to chat about pretty much anything. He seemed like a regular guy to me. I remember he walked with a bad limp due to bad hips and he kept a bunch of 8x10's in the back seat of his car. I never asked him for an autograph...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad