Speculation: Update: Blues say NO to Arnott

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
If he signed a league minimum contract of ~525K or whatever then the Blues would be paying something like 150K of that prorated. From Arnott's perspective it HAS to be simply not wanting his career to be over and willing to take any contract.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Until last year; Langenbrunner and Arnott had never played together(they got traded for one another at one point).

Incorrect. They both played for the Devils in 2010-2011 before both got traded away (Langs to Dallas, Arnott to Washington)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Armstrong said the Arnott audition is not reflective of any additional problems concerning Steen, McDonald or Tarasenko. McDonald, who suffered a strain to his left knee in practice last week, skated for the second day in succession on Sunday morning.
- From Dan O'Neill

Well that's a bit encouraging, because I sure hope this is no indication of Steen's injury. I still don't know about this, but maybe if we bring in Arnott we would have the depth to package D'Agostini with a few pieces to get that defenseman. Because if Arnott is in the lineup as our "slow veteran", then Redden better not be playing. Just trying to think of some scenarios that could give this situation a silver lining per se.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
If we bench him again is he going to throw a hissy fit and leave?

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
I’m shocked that so many are overreacting to them trying to bring true veteran leadership to the team. There seem's to be a lack of memory here; it's what he'll bring to the room I don't see him getting more than 10 to 13 minutes a game when he suits up if they end up signing him.

I'll guarantee we'll see better effort period to period with him in the room, it's obvious this team needs help between periods.

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
Last year we played hard every game of the year with guys like Langs and Arnott in the locker room so if we have to lose some speed to get that back its a good trade off. Besides we are going to run physicals on him and if hes practicing Hitch can see if he has enough left in the tank to contribute so its not like this is a shot in the dark. We are vetting the guy to make sure this isn't wasted money so saying he sucks and might not have anything left won't be the case if he gets to the point where he actually signs.

A lot of our problems it seems have been us coming unglued when things go bad or guys not sticking to the program which has been a problem every single year with this core. We have also seemed to have signed a ton of old guys for "veteran leadership" in that period as well.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
I’m shocked that so many are overreacting to them trying to bring true veteran leadership to the team. There seem's to be a lack of memory here; it's what he'll bring to the room I don't see him getting more than 10 to 13 minutes a game when he suits up if they end up signing him.

I'll guarantee we'll see better effort period to period with him in the room, it's obvious this team needs help between periods.

Well said. I'd for bringing Arnott back in the hopes that he can add some mental stability to the team. They are giving up goals in pairs, and getting defeated when calls don't go their way.

Will he add a lot to the team on ice? Probably not. But if adding Arnott leads to Steen being returned to wing, that is a good thing.

I'm mostly surprised because I thought that bridge was burned from both ends at the end of last season.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
What was Arnott's physical problem in his Rangers' failed physical? What makes Armstrong think he's "better" now?

Believe it was a shoulder. Hitch seems to think that he's recovered.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands

It's not overreacting about Arnott per se. It's seeing that kind of move and thinking it's a desperation move, that there are so few other options this is what the team is reduced to trying – I believe fans are reacting more to this than to Arnott being signed for a few hundred K and chipping in some minutes, which in and of itself isn't terrible. I don't think whatever ails this team can be fixed with Arnott saying something between periods. Come on. He's at the bitter end of his career and unless he is leading on the ice with performance nobody's going to listen to him. Otherwise just hire him as a consultant and have him give between-period pep rallies if that would really work.

That said, he'll have to prove on the ice first whether he can still skate with this team. Sounds like he'll be doing that for free this week so it's basically zero risk.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
So, the Blues are in a tailspin, the fans are unhappy, we have one of the smallest payrolls in the NHL, and the Blues management team comes up with the addition of Jason Arnott to help turn things around? Arnott, a guy who no team wanted to sign in the off season, and then when the Rangers (I think it was the Rangers) tried him out, he failed the physical? The same guy who refused to practice with our team in the playoffs because Hitchcock wasn't putting him in the lineup?

jimmykay

Nov 15, 2011
My only thought is that if this team is as mentally fragile as it seems. And if our guys need a kick in the ass. And we don’t want to trade away our future. Then it seems like our only options right now is to bring in a veteran that the guys can rally behind.

Now, given that it’s March, I don’t know how many veteran guys are still looking to latch onto a team. I’m sure there can’t be many. This could be our best shot at getting the team turned around without giving up anything.

I have no expectations of Arnott being a huge impact player. But it is possible that he could be a catalyst for the other guys. This could come in two ways. He is a steadying presence and helps the team keep their cool, or he is a hated and resented teammate. If he steadies this team, great. They could use to show some resilience. If he is hated, then I hope that it pushes the guys to rally around each other.

I’m sure it doesn’t exactly send the same message to the guys that a huge trade would cause, but I just hope something gets this team to wake up before its too late. I understand Army not being able to just sit idle while his team flounders their impressive start. This may be him just doing anything he can to not trade away a valuable piece of the teams future.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
God damnit, if we bring in Arnott that's just going to make me hate the Wade Redden signing even more.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I wonder what this means concerning Steen and if it is telling how unlikely it is that Lehtera is an option.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I wonder what this means concerning Steen and if it is telling how unlikely it is that Lehtera is an option.

If anyone actually thought that bringing over Lehtera and throwing him into a 3rd line center role despite never having played an NHL game, under a veteran coach like Hitchcock, for a team with Cup aspirations, and for a team that was already breaking in two rookies on the fly was going to be an option legitimately considered by management....well, they were smoking some potent Boulder Bud.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
It's not overreacting about Arnott per se. It's seeing that kind of move and thinking it's a desperation move, that there are so few other options this is what the team is reduced to trying – I believe fans are reacting more to this than to Arnott being signed for a few hundred K and chipping in some minutes, which in and of itself isn't terrible. I don't think whatever ails this team can be fixed with Arnott saying something between periods. Come on. He's at the bitter end of his career and unless he is leading on the ice with performance nobody's going to listen to him. Otherwise just hire him as a consultant and have him give between-period pep rallies if that would really work.

That said, he'll have to prove on the ice first whether he can still skate with this team. Sounds like he'll be doing that for free this week so it's basically zero risk.

Well I do think there is an overreaction going on because as you said there is zero risk, very little money and zero assets are being spent to bring him in for a tryout. But I still believe this team lacks maturity and identity, they need someone on the team to keep them focused and I do believe Arnott will help in this area. They’re not a team that can win (5 to 3) or (4 to 2) game in and game out, but early on that’s who they thought they were, but they need to get back to (3 to 1) wins, defense first puck control solid 5 on 5 hockey.

Although I said that this team needs help between periods that doesn’t mean leadership comes from a lot of words, if anything because a guy like him is in the room I bet there will be less said, true leadership prevents too many voices and the wrong things from being said.

I stick by my prediction and if I’m dead wrong it won’t be the first time.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I swear to god if we sign Arnott I'm gonna go nuts. He's slow, old, and would be a liability in our defensive zone. I'd rather sign Lehtera like others mentioned and slot him in, hell I'd rather Phil ****ing McRae than Arnott.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If anyone actually thought that bringing over Lehtera and throwing him into a 3rd line center role despite never having played an NHL game, under a veteran coach like Hitchcock, for a team with Cup aspirations, and for a team that was already breaking in two rookies on the fly was going to be an option legitimately considered by management....well, they were smoking some potent Boulder Bud.

I could have seen them sign him to a deal and have him be an extra who played his way in.

Stang

Dec 4, 2007
Jeremy Rutherford
The #stlblues have decided not to sign free agent Jason Arnott.

Jeremy Rutherford
Armstrong says Arnott had a good week of practice but the team believes a couple of its injured players are closer to returning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad