Speculation: Update: Blues say NO to Arnott

Stang

Dec 4, 2007
Update:

Jeremy Rutherford
The #stlblues have decided not to sign free agent Jason Arnott.

Jeremy Rutherford
Armstrong says Arnott had a good week of practice but the team believes a couple of its injured players are closer to returning.

----------------------------------------------------

Original post:

Darren R Pang
#Blues GM Doug Armstrong just told @FSMidwest that Jason Arnott will travel/skate with team on road trip. Skated today w/McDonald.

Darren R Pang
Armstrong will discuss with Arnott and his agent brother Wade going forward if this will work for both side. Arnott met with Hitch today.

Last edited:

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I'd love it.
Arnott was beastly as the 3rd center before his legs gave out late in the year.

Bring him in with ~20 games left and he'll be fresh for the PO's. He should be just hitting his stride as the PO's are starting. Ends the Steen experiment, more bulk and leadership in the lineup.

Can't see a downside to this.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
A big sigh after hearing that news. Underwhelmed might not be a strong enough word to explain how I feel about Arnott.

Stang

Dec 4, 2007
For those that didn't know, he tried to sign with the Rangers but failed a physical last month.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
If Arnott paid his own salary I still wouldn't want him on the ice for anything other then the PP. Bad idea, and unfortunately I can see us signing him. Hoping for the obvious.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I'd love it.

Bring him in with ~20 games left and he'll be fresh for the PO's. He should be just hitting his stride as the PO's are starting. Ends the Steen experiment, more bulk and leadership in the lineup.

Well a big, slow player who has to have someone else cover his responsibilities because he cannot play a 200 ft. game seems to be pretty bad. If Andy Mac and Tarasenko are flanking him because of a prolonged Steen absence, then I am beyond fretful. Steen after all was one of the players that covered for Arnott.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Well a big, slow player who has to have someone else cover his responsibilities because he cannot play a 200 ft. game seems to be pretty bad. If Andy Mac and Tarasenko are flanking him because of a prolonged Steen absence, then I am beyond fretful. Steen after all was one of the players that covered for Arnott.

That was late in the year after his legs gave out.
I'm talking about the Arnott who had 8 goals and 20 points in the first 35 games last year.

And Sobotka "covered" for Arnott more than Steen ever did.
Steen was too busy dealing with his own injuries.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
I'd love it.

Were you just arguing a few weeks ago that Steen shouldn't be playing center for us, but now you don't see a downside to signing Arnott? Or am I confused?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Sounds like Steen is going to be out for a very long time if we're resorting to this. If Steen is back within a week or two, I see no reason they bring him on.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
That was late in the year after his legs gave out.
I'm talking about the Arnott who had 8 goals and 20 points in the first 35 games last year.

And Sobotka "covered" for Arnott more than Steen ever did.
Steen was too busy dealing with his own injuries.
That Arnott wasn't coming off knee surgery, and didn't fail a physical earlier this season.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Were you just arguing a few weeks ago that Steen shouldn't be playing center for us, but now you don't see a downside to signing Arnott? Or am I confused?

Arnott actually knows how to play the position.
Before his legs gave out and Sobotka had to start covering his defensive responsibilities, Arnott was doing a great job at the position on both ends of the ice. As I said above; 8 goals and 20 points through the first 35 games. People are basing their opinion of Arnott on the last half of the season and the PO's; all of which happened after his legs gave out. Army won't sign Arnott if his knee's don't check out, and a healthy Arnott is exactly what this team needs as the 3rd wave center.

417blues

Aug 1, 2012
Springfield
When the Blues didn't re-sign Arnott this year, presumably due to the logjam at forward, I was kind of surprised that they kept Langs; I assumed that those two came as a two-pack.

Is Arnott's role simply to be a leader (old guy)? Will he be useful in that capacity without Langenbrunner? Will his authority be diminished by being a late addition?

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
When the Blues didn't re-sign Arnott this year, presumably due to the logjam at forward, I was kind of surprised that they kept Langs; I assumed that those two came as a two-pack.

Is Arnott's role simply to be a leader (old guy)? Will he be useful in that capacity without Langenbrunner? Will his authority be diminished by being a late addition?

Until last year; Langenbrunner and Arnott had never played together(they got traded for one another at one point).
Even before we initially signed them it was thought to be an either/or situation.
Both were Captain's on their own merit without the benefit of having the other one in the room with them.

But no, he wouldn't just be a leader.
If he's healthy, he's a very good #3 center, brings a good physical element to the ice and is a major weapon on the PP.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The Arnott news is desperate and crazy. I'd rather sign Lehtera and throw him in there than have Arnott, who is done. Our "old guy" experiments have been suspect. Redden? Langenbrunner? Arnott?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Until last year; Langenbrunner and Arnott had never played together(they got traded for one another at one point).
Even before we initially signed them it was thought to be an either/or situation.
Both were Captain's on their own merit without the benefit of having the other one in the room with them.

But no, he wouldn't just be a leader.
If he's healthy, he's a very good #3 center, brings a good physical element to the ice and is a major weapon on the PP.
That first part is a huge "if", but even granting that premise I disagree strongly that Arnott is a "very good #3 center" or a "physical element."

I can't remember the last time I've disagreed with an opinion of yours this strongly.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I'd rather give McRae a chance rather than Arnott if we're that desperate for a center honestly.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
I'm okay with a cheap signing to fill the holes on the team we have due to injuries. I would much rather just do this then make a panic trade fora guy like Briere or Kuleimin and give up something we may regret in the deal.

What us signing him would say to me is Armstrong went out looked for an upgrade in the trade market saw nothing that worked for our team and went to a different plan.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
That first part is a huge "if", but even granting that premise I disagree strongly that Arnott is a "very good #3 center" or a "physical element."

I can't remember the last time I've disagreed with an opinion of yours this strongly.

He's also a huge leader of the "Cole is garbage" caucus.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Ugh. This can't be good news about Steen at all if they are considering this. At first I thought "well for cheap, he brings leadership, a decent shot, size, and faceoff wins" but then now that I think about it, the main things he brings are "slowness, injury concerns, can't be counted on."

We have enough dead weight right now with Elliott and Redden. I understand the need for a veteran leader to possibly be added but I fear Arnott would just drag us down. He can't play in Hitchcock's system that effectively so I would just say pass. We need to get a veteran leader who can actually play and isn't 47 years old.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Being a fan of a potential Cup contender that is run on a shoestring budget is painful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad