News Article: [Update] ABOR approves updates for Coyotes to use ASU’s new arena next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Considering the chances the League shuts down this season or sometime in the future, attendance is shit anyways, and we're in the middle of a tank, I couldn't be happier that we might have an actual place to play before our own arena.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If I had to guess, I’d say Glendale’s 1st preference is a long-term lease agreement with the Coyotes. Their next best scenario is a short-term lease, with wildly favorable terms (relative to all previous lease agreements). I think they have reached a point where they are willing to let the Coyotes leave, though. They’re beyond the “ do whatever it takes” phase. So while I think losing the Coyotes after this season is their least preferred outcome, they’re willing to let it get to that point.

If I had to guess, the Coyotes are 100% unwilling to do a long-term lease with Glendale, unless it’s laughably favorable. Like basically free. I think they’d much rather avoid dumping 15 million dollars into completely needless NCAA required renovations at the brand-new ASU rink. I think they’d MUCH rather do a reasonable short-term lease extension with Glendale. Like whatever the regular lease agreement is PLUS whatever they would’ve had to pay to renovate the ASU facility, but nothing extra beyond that.

I think we’re going to see a three year extension at Gila River. And it’s going to be basically the same lease terms but the Coyotes will pay like 10-15mil extra to update the arena for COG.
That's what I think as well.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Preferably not f*** up the relationship with Glendale to begin with. But considering they're looking at $50m in improvements, surely there is a short term deal to be had. They aren't fanatics. And I'm positive paying ~$5m a year for 4 years will cost less than the ASU temporary home. The Coyotes paid f*** all for rent, relatively speaking, for GRA.

This is the exact scenario where the league should use their general fund to ease the pain. If they truly don't like Glendale and the Coyotes can be given a real bridge to Tempe, the league should help out financially.

ASU should be plan B. It's good to have an actual option, as expensive as it may be. It just shouldn't be the first option if Tempe goes through.
$50mil in improvements? I thought it was $10-$15mil?

rt

May 13, 2004
Considering the chances the League shuts down this season or sometime in the future, attendance is shit anyways, and we're in the middle of a tank, I couldn't be happier that we might have an actual place to play before our own arena.
Shut down? Whaaa?!? Why would the league shut down?

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Exactly. Fairly easy for Meruelo to inflate these numbers himself especially after kicking back a few.

You can believe who you want to, I just find it more credible to believe an independent publication (with no real incentive either way) than a guy who obviously would want people to think he's rich (so that he can continue to get loans as needed / own a hockey team etc).
You are not going to get loans on hearsay.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Easy for Forbes to deflate things too.

You understand many of Forbes writers actually PAY them for the space? They don't work for Forbes. They are independent bloggers who pay to have the Forbes name attached to them.

@PainForShane (I always F up multi quotes lol)

I think you both make sense. In the end we're still left guessing either way. I just trust his business 'sense' to date. He has been successful so I trust he knows what he's doing.

Reactions: PainForShane

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Right? Two to three weeks ago half the games were shut down and a massive chunk of players out on protocol. Now everyone's healthy, games are no longer postponed and we're dealing with the end of a very weak variant. League is definitely not shutting down.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
You are not going to get loans on hearsay.

I'm not going to talk further about politics, but there is a former President being investigated for (at least similar to) doing just that - Overvaluing assets for "favorable loans, tax benefits and insurance coverage." (I'm not going to attach the article either.) I,m just saying that stuff may be quite common.

Reactions: Stubu

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017

Games are being postponed and there's a whole mess of Covid related things this season, WJC and likely Olympics are going to be as well...I think it's certainly possible that it gets shut down again in the future.

rt

May 13, 2004
Games are being postponed and there's a whole mess of Covid related things this season, WJC and likely Olympics are going to be as well...I think it's certainly possible that it gets shut down again in the future.
I thought they committed to only testing symptomatic players? If so, I think covid is over for US teams.

Reactions: SniperHF

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
If everything goes well, we get the new barn in Tempe and we are still up for an outdoor game, we should host it in StateFarm stadium just to trololol Glendale one last time

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Some drunk frat boys will do the puck drop.
Or the girls of a fraternity. Then the drunk frat boys sing the anthem.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Some drunk frat boys will do the puck drop.
Or the girls of a fraternity. Then the drunk frat boys sing the anthem.
You might be a bit far to fully appreciate the level of grudge Coyote fans bear against certain people/fanbases

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
I'm not going to talk further about politics, but there is a former President being investigated for (at least similar to) doing just that - Overvaluing assets for "favorable loans, tax benefits and insurance coverage." (I'm not going to attach the article either.) I,m just saying that stuff may be quite common.

That same former President was well known for using the strongarm tactics that Merulo uses. Refuse to pay and make them negotiate or let them sue. Only Merulo overplayed his cards with COG. They were having none of it.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
This is great, from Ray Ratto:

We needn’t go through the litany of reasons why the Coyotes are such a FEMA demo site. They brought back the original Kachina logo and then decided that was all the smarts they ever had to display. They have chewed through underfunded owners and now have properly funded owners—who don’t want to pay their most necessary bills—and thus are essentially operating as underfunded owners too. They have fought with the city in which they play after being turned out of the biggest city in the area, and they can’t figure out how to get to the richest part of town. They are working overtime to escape their very private hell (they rank 30th in attendance and haven’t been above 28th in 15 years). And, according to the largely reputable Craig Morgan of PHNX Sports, they are now thinking seriously about going to the smallest arena the NHL has had since the Montreal Maroons.

Now this could be another clumsy bluff by owner Alex Meruelo and his band of cheery flailers, who have been at crossed middle fingers with the city of Glendale since the day after they got the keys to the local arena. Arizona State backed away from a fanciful plan by former Coyotes owner Anthony LeBlanc to build a 17,000-seater for the ‘Yotes and a 4K rink for the Sun Devils, and that was in 2017. But now they’re willing to be tenants to the university in a rink with one-third the capacity? Sure. Go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That same former President was well known for using the strongarm tactics that Merulo uses. Refuse to pay and make them negotiate or let them sue. Only Merulo overplayed his cards with COG. They were having none of it.

CoG was going to do what they did the moment anyone (and that includes the IceEdge Boyz, Barroway, etc....) began working towards playing in another arena in Phoenix Metro.

I even confirmed with a friend close to Greg Jamison's bid that he was actively looking for sites in Scottsdale back when he was trying to buy the franchise.

Sooner or later someone was going to get a new arena proposal in the works and Glendale would react the same exact way. It just happened to be Meruelo.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
fZc3oXu.jpeg
I think I have finally come to fully embrace the Troll Yote mentality. You can't really defend the actions of this team or Bettman anymore, every single step of this journey has been totally ludicrous since the team moved to Glendale. No business in their right mind would still be committed to this market after the parade of incompetency and shenanigans that have occurred, and yet the team is still here.

The amount of internet morons who act like the physical embodiment of the Arizona Coyotes showed up at their high school and kicked them in the balls and stole their lunch money, then went home to bang their mom which caused their parents to get divorced is never-ending. I have decided I no longer have the time or energy to defend this organization anymore, I exist only to troll the salty idiots from Canada.

I literally cannot wait until the Auston Matthews, captain of the 2024-25 Arizona Coyotes takes the Stanley Cup from Uncle Gary and hoists over his head in front of 5000 of his closest friends and family in a college hockey arena while just down the street they put the finishing touches on the greatest hockey arena complex ever built that will sit on the banks of a bone dry river in the middle of the f***ing desert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad