News Article: [Update] ABOR approves updates for Coyotes to use ASU’s new arena next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Hitting a baseball is harder because someone is trying to make you miss.
Baseball to me is one of the Most boring sports ever.
Again thats Just my Opinion.
My oldest brother visited a blue Jays Game when He was in Toronto for Work in 2018 and He Likes it. Sitting around drinking Beer, etc is Nice.
Also visited a raptors Game and He was suprised how silent it was. For him that was Not worth it.
But watching Playoff Hockey in a bar was Nice.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’m in marketing and have lived all four corners of the valley. I love how you’re working so hard on this narrative that location doesn’t matter. Keep it up. It’s hilarious
Of course location matters, and I have said Tempe is the BETTER location, but in my opinion, GRA would have worked if we had proper ownership from day one. Do you really think we would be in any better shape if the Coyotes were playing in the east valley from day one? Look at the Suns, in a great location but had attendance problems when their team was in the shitter. Location didn't matter then did it. Location matters, but it's only one part of the equation.

Reactions: Summer Rose

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Baseball to me is one of the Most boring sports ever.
Again thats Just my Opinion.
My oldest brother visited a blue Jays Game when He was in Toronto for Work in 2018 and He Likes it. Sitting around drinking Beer, etc is Nice.
Also visited a raptors Game and He was suprised how silent it was. For him that was Not worth it.
But watching Playoff Hockey in a bar was Nice.

I think for most sports/fans the level of an individual fan's interest is connected to how well they understand the intricacies of the game. For me, I really like road cycling, but I can completely understand why most people would find it boring. My interest is tied to the team strategy and tactics, which isn't something a fan learns overnight. Furthering my point, I don't care to watch mountain bike racing or cyclocross...almost zero team tactics.

Reactions: Edenjung

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Of course location matters, and I have said Tempe is the BETTER location, but in my opinion, GRA would have worked if we had proper ownership from day one. Do you really think we would be in any better shape if the Coyotes were playing in the east valley from day one? Look at the Suns, in a great location but had attendance problems when their team was in the shitter. Location didn't matter then did it. Location matters, but it's only one part of the equation.
For it to work you need all of the following:
Solid ownership-We have that now.
Hockey management-We hope we have that now in BA.
Location-We will have that assuming Tempe works out.
Playoffs-making it in more times then not.

The first 2 points effect the 4th point. Glendale didn't work for a variety of reasons, its been 15 years, if there was a way to make it work it would have been figured out by now. It's a dead horse.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

The first 2 points effect the 4th point. Glendale didn't work for a variety of reasons, its been 15 years, if there was a way to make it work it would have been figured out by now. It's a dead horse.
They didn't try that providing a good product angle. Because I like repeating myself, it's going to be Quebec Poster annoying when the East Side Brigade give us all a todaso in a few years when an exciting young team gets a full house in a brand new arena. Especially for those of us who spent real money to watch an East Coast League team for nearly a decade.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
They didn't try that providing a good product angle. Because I like repeating myself, it's going to be Quebec Poster annoying when the East Side Brigade give us all a todaso in a few years when an exciting young team gets a full house in a brand new arena. Especially for those of us who spent real money to watch an East Coast League team for nearly a decade.

I agree to some extent that the failure of the Glendale experiment was not all Glendale’s fault. When the Coyotes moved to Glendale, there was an expectation that the West Valley would do more to support the coyotes. That really hasn’t panned out. Now there were issues with the bankruptcy and with the the lockout. But this team did have good players and did have good teams at times, just not the stanley cup caliber teams, but always fell short. They got to the Western Conference finals one year…but the Glendale West Valley has not stepped up. What we expect to see is that the East valley will. I think that’s what the difference will be.

And I blame everything on the Scottsdale City Council!

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
When the Coyotes moved to Glendale, there was an expectation that the West Valley would do more to support the coyotes. That really hasn’t panned out. Now there were issues with the bankruptcy and with the the lockout. But this team did have good players and did have good teams at times, just not the stanley cup caliber teams, but always fell short. They got to the Western Conference finals one year…but the Glendale West Valley has not stepped up. What we expect to see is that the East valley will. I think that’s what the difference will be.

Guess what. When the team was good, the attendance increased. When the team was on its magical 2011-2012 run, the attendance improved steadily over the course of the season until the barn was selling out by the last quarter of the campaign.

Beyond that, though, isn't there a bit of a paradox here? The talking point that the whole fanbase is on the east side of the Valley necessarily leads to a conclusion that the East Valley fans won't support the team unless conditions are favorable, based on the past two decades of receipts. That would also lead to a question, "Why didn't a fanbase grow in the West Valley, then?" And then you'd be asking the question we have been asking for years.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Yup, it's a dead horse now.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Pretty much agree with this. The entertainment should be in the ice.
We had some drum line two of the last three games, I guess it was okay, aside from the distraction.
I used to be a bit stodgy about being at the game for the game. Then I saw the pregame for the first Vegas playoff. It changed my mind. By the time the puck dropped the crowd was so rile up they were pissing fire. Look it up on youtube if you haven't seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad