upd: Laine has 16 goals (5 tonight) in last 10 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Here is the video about skating competition (Laine vs. Horvat ~2.50, MacK vs. McD later):

It's fair to say MacK might not have been too motivated to skate when he found out McD will beat him like 100-0. Still that shows that Laine is actually pretty fast and skilled skater, and "just" needs to get more explosive power and agility to get his first steps more sharp.

He is working on that, and after next summer he will be again better. I'm pretty confident his trainer knows what he is doing given how Rantanen and Laine have been playing so far.

Seriously he was flying in that video.

Reactions: Halberdier

paragon

May 5, 2010
It's not that Laine can't skate fast, he just doesn't. In the defensive zone he's still mostly standing still and pretty much the same thing once he gets in the offensive zone. The only times he really skates is when he is forechecking or backchecking.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Once Laine gets moving.....he can really move. When he uses that bod, more.....and keeps the feet moving - like last years streak - he can burn it.

Right now, in terms of pure goal scoring.... Laine is a sort of one trick pony.....that runs 110 MPH

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
It's not that Laine can't skate fast, he just doesn't. In the defensive zone he's still mostly standing still and pretty much the same thing once he gets in the offensive zone. The only times he really skates is when he is forechecking or backchecking.

Yeah that's working smarter, not harder. He knows where he is supposed to be in those situations, probably has been instructed to stay on his man in defensive zone, and look for openings outside the slot in offensive zone. He skates hard on forecheck and stays between his own goal and the puck when jets don't have possession.

He's not a puck chaser. Puck chasing isn't a smart mans game. Best players position expertly and he certainly does that. You don't have to chase if you can accurately predict things.

Reactions: daddyohsix

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Yeah that's working smarter, not harder. He knows where he is supposed to be in those situations, probably has been instructed to stay on his man in defensive zone, and look for openings outside the slot in offensive zone. He skates hard on forecheck and stays between his own goal and the puck when jets don't have possession.

He's not a puck chaser. Puck chasing isn't a smart mans game. Best players position expertly and he certainly does that. You don't have to chase if you can accurately predict things.

I wouldn't go that far, someone has to do it. There are quite a few players who chase down pucks and get open extremely well, but if I was coaching a team with Laine I would have him getting open for shots more than digging in the corners and setting others up obviously, you play to your strengths.

Reactions: paragon

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I wouldn't go that far, someone has to do it. There are quite a few players who chase down pucks and get open extremely well, but if I was coaching a team with Laine I would have him getting open for shots more than digging in the corners and setting others up obviously, you play to your strengths.

Yes and it seems Maurice understands this and plays him to his strengths. Best shooter in the game shouldn't spend much time in corners behind the net because shooting from there isn't optimal to say the least. People who expect him to be that guy at this stage of development are not going to get what they want from him, but he can be the league MVP now if he is played to his strengths, because his strength happens to be the most valuable asset in hockey.

There are grinders for those jobs, Laine is a sniper, and a power forward in the making.

"Assists are for assistants" :D

Reactions: daddyohsix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad