Recalled/Assigned: (UPD: Feb. 27) Jets call up D Derek Meech, Melchiori and Pasquale sent down

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Hmm, I'm beginning to wonder if a defenseman got hurt last night. I guess the thinking is that they don't want him to be scrambling over from St. John's in case somebody got hurt in the game tomorrow, but couldn't Peluso be used in that emergency circumstance?

I always thought there was a bit of an unspoken agreement between the parent club and AHL affiliate that players won't be recalled just to sit in the press box.

Not for smart teams. NHL team comes first.

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
For the development of Melchiori, he would be better off logging seriou minutes as he has been rather than sitting in the press box in the 'Peg.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
True, but when called one must go. The team can't skate with just 6 defensemen, especially when on a road trip.

Isn't this one of the reasons you have a farm team? Jets need a 7th D around and Melchiori is next in line. It can also do his development some good to be around the big team for awhile, getting to watch and practice with guys like Bogo.

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
I know there are contractual issues, but right now Ramsey > Melchiori. Sign Ramsey, have him be the spare tire. If he is needed, he'll be less of a defensive liability. Melchiori gets to play monster minutes here.

Before Holden lectures us poor AHL fans on our place on the totem pole for the umpteenth time, as a Caps fan, I'd rather you take Melchiori.

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
Topic has been beaten to death about the AHL.

Congrats to Julian.This season is a loss for us anyways, so I have no real complaints.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I really liked what I saw from Melchiori in the summer dev. camp. I think he will be an NHL regular one day, but Im sure he's pumped for getting this early call up. Once Meech is healthy they will swap spots.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
For the development of Melchiori, he would be better off logging seriou minutes as he has been rather than sitting in the press box in the 'Peg.

TNSE seems to like giving the youngsters a sniff of the bigs.

It seems apparent to me that they have a long game running with Melchiori, perhaps they are just throwing him a bone or trying to show him exactly what's needed at the next level.

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
ho hum, another player that will ride the press box. It's nice to see that Mittens and Peluso will have someone to share a pop with.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I know there are contractual issues, but right now Ramsey > Melchiori. Sign Ramsey, have him be the spare tire. If he is needed, he'll be less of a defensive liability. Melchiori gets to play monster minutes here.

Before Holden lectures us poor AHL fans on our place on the totem pole for the umpteenth time, as a Caps fan, I'd rather you take Melchiori.

you are only allowed to have 50 contracts so it's possible the jets are at or close to that level. So they don't want to use up another contract spot on somebody that won't play. I agree that for someone like melchiori it'd be better for him to play big mins in ahl. However right now melchiori is the only choice and jets need a 7th d.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
you are only allowed to have 50 contracts so it's possible the jets are at or close to that level. So they don't want to use up another contract spot on somebody that won't play. I agree that for someone like melchiori it'd be better for him to play big mins in ahl. However right now melchiori is the only choice and jets need a 7th d.

Jets are only carrying 43 contracts according to CapGeek.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I'm sure he's not complaining. I'd gladly not play a hockey gamr for 7k or whatever he makes per game

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Scott Brown ‏@BrownScottTN
#NHLJets recall defenceman Derek Meech from IceCaps; re-assign Julian Melchiori and Eddie Pasquale

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Maybe the Jets agree with some here that Melchiori is better served to get big minutes in the AHL, and were just waiting for Meech to be cleared. Hopefully no one on the current roster is injured.

Although it would be nice to give Buff a little time to heal.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Any idea when Toby is back? For now...

Hainsey/Bogo
Clitsome/Buff
Stuart/Postma
Meech

Toby's return moves clitsome to press box with Meech? Keep both for injury insurance?

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Ugh, I just hope it's not Bogo. He took a nasty slash after the whistle from Gaborik right on his wrist and he blocked that one blast on the PK with his ankle/shin.

It's for neither.

That post was after the philly game I think when stu blocked that shot pretty much with his bare arm.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Any idea when Toby is back? For now...

Hainsey/Bogo
Clitsome/Buff
Stuart/Postma
Meech

Toby's return moves clitsome to press box with Meech? Keep both for injury insurance?

No room for both of them I don't believe. I think Mittens is dtd not on IR. So he's taking a roster spot along with Wellwood/Peluso. Plus space for one spare D man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad