Recalled/Assigned: (UPD: Feb. 27) Jets call up D Derek Meech, Melchiori and Pasquale sent down

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Winnipeg Jets@NHLJets

The #NHLJets have recalled Julian Melchiori from the #IceCapsAHL.

The Winnipeg Jets announced today they have recalled defenceman Julian Melchiori from the St. John’s IceCaps of the American Hockey League.

Melchiori, 21, has played in 33 games with the IceCaps so far this season. In that time, the Richmond Hill, ON native has recorded four assists and 29 penalty minutes. He made his IceCaps debut during the 2011-12 season where he played one game on April 14.

The 6’4, left-handed defenceman signed an entry level contract with the Winnipeg Jets on March 16, 2012. This is his first-ever recall with the NHL club. He was originally drafted by the Atlanta Thrashers in the third round, 87th overall, in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=656900

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
He'll be up here until Enstrom is back. Is there any new info on Enstrom's shoulder?

It's a silly source but the ESPN Fantasy folks figure at some point in mid-March.

Don't know exactly how much playing time Melchiori will get. Likely sitting in the press box for emergency purposes.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Cool, I wonder if he'll get any playing time. I'm assuming Clitsome would stay in over him and we'd just roll with who we played yesterday.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
He was really good at the rookie camp the day I went to watch in the summer, and has since become a very intriguing player to me.

I doubt he'll get much if any time, but I'd love to see him play.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Hmm, I'm beginning to wonder if a defenseman got hurt last night. I guess the thinking is that they don't want him to be scrambling over from St. John's in case somebody got hurt in the game tomorrow, but couldn't Peluso be used in that emergency circumstance?

I always thought there was a bit of an unspoken agreement between the parent club and AHL affiliate that players won't be recalled just to sit in the press box.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Hmm, I'm beginning to wonder if a defenseman got hurt last night. I guess the thinking is that they don't want him to be scrambling over from St. John's in case somebody got hurt in the game tomorrow, but couldn't Peluso be used in that emergency circumstance?

I always thought there was a bit of an unspoken agreement between the parent club and AHL affiliate that players won't be recalled just to sit in the press box.

Maybe Stu?
He did block that shot with his bare arm

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
He was really good at the rookie camp the day I went to watch in the summer, and has since become a very intriguing player to me.

I doubt he'll get much if any time, but I'd love to see him play.
Corey Pronman ranked him among the Jets top 10 prospects this off-season.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1358

It seems like the Jets have a plan for him, but I don't think they wanted him in the show this quickly.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Talent Analysis

Melchiori is a big, strong defenseman who can skate with the puck and who can play in all situations. He was used to getting a lot of ice time in Newmarket and will hope to do the same as he moves to college hockey at U Mass-Lowell. Melchiori should only improve as he grows and develops physically and continues to refine his game.

Future

Melchiori has the frame and mobility for the pro game.

I think Melchiori could surprise some people. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. It's always nice to have a bigger defenseman that has mobility. Seemed like our D got run over all night last night against the Canes.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Is this guy offensive or what? His boxcar stats seem to indicate so, almost a SOG per game, but how many miss?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Hope he gets a little playing time. Could have another NHL d-man in him and as a lefty. He was a Dudley draft pick as well. He's another guy I've liked.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Melchiori has usually been noted as our best LHD after Kulda (and maybe best now since Kulda may never come back) that we currently have in the system. He's also been my favourite D prospect to watch as an "underdog" (Trouba being the true favourite because that guy is amazing).

He plays a very smart game in positioning and solid first pass. I've noticed he has been a tad more aggressive defensively for the IceCaps, playing with more of an edge than he ever did in junior. Skating and positioning is this kid's game. I don't think he's nearly ready for NHL, but the pressbox experience and NHL practice/training should be good. He was also part of Gary Roberts summer training program last summer.

His offensive output is really interesting. Junior defensemen are incredibly reliant on PP for point production. When he was on the Knights, Melchiori didn't get much PP opportunities because the first PP was controlled by Murphy and the second PP Melchiori was paired with (overager)Sol, who has a booming shot that was the focus of their 2PP. Last season, Melchiori had far more even strength assists per game than Yuen, Chiarot, or Sol ever have had.

Then at St. John's he was behind Postma, Redmond, O`Neill, Meech, Burmistrov and Maxwell for being on the point for PP.

Which is a good and bad thing when thinking of Melchiori's offensive production. Good: he probably would have had more points if he was relied more on the PP like most high end draft picks. Bad: he wasn't able to push out those infront of him for a spot on the PP.

Year | RelDraft | G/GP | A/GP | PTS/GP | ESG/GP | ESA/GP | ESPTS/GP
2011-12| 2| 0.03| 0.56| 0.59 | 0.03 | 0.38 | 0.41
2010-11| 1| 0.02| 0.29| 0.30 | 0.02 |0.16 | 0.17

Some stuff from Hockey Prospectus:
2012 Jets Top 10 Prospects:
9. Julian Melchiori, Defense
The Good: Melchiori is an impressive skater who is notably above average and way above average for his size. He has a good top gear to rush the puck, a powerful first step, and good agility. He moves the puck at a decent level and can help transition it through his outlets and he's pretty effective bringing it up the ice himself. He's gotten notably stronger since last season and is effective in his own end.

The Bad: Melchiori tends to be a bit of a "safe" player who doesn't really have impressive offensive creativity. He also could use his body a little more.

Projection: He could be a good third pairing defender, and maybe a fringe #4.

2011 Jets Top 10 Prospects:
7. Julian Melchiori, Defense
The Good: Melchiori gets a lot of praise within the industry for his skating. He skates extremely well for a 6'4" defenseman and doesn't tend to get turned around by speedy forwards. He has decent technique and coordination with the puck for a big man and can make a fine outlet pass out of his zone. Melchiori displayed a quiet defensive game this year in the OHL, taking his checks well positionally, using an active stick to derail the opposition's possession, and focusing on getting the puck out of his zone and away from the competition as opposed to making a lot happen offensively.

The Bad: While Melchiori does have some offensive upside, there are concerns if he has what it takes to reach the next level in that department in regards to offensive instincts. He has a lot of work to physically too, as he still has a somewhat slight frame (I wouldn't be surprised if his weight listing is overstated) and he really doesn't play a physical game at all.

Projection: He has below-average second pairing upside, but likely projects as an average third pairing defender who may end up a depth player.

Last edited:

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
All a player can hope for is a chance to prove what they can do at the NHL level.

This is Melchiori's, and earlier than expected. Sometimes you don't get another.

Good luck !!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad