Recalled/Assigned: UPD: Canucks assign D Frank Corrado to Utica (Oct 10)

arsmaster*

I think Matthias had a much worse camp than what he is capable of. People have been spouting off a lot of negativity about him all throughout camp, but seem to fail to recall what we had in him down the stretch last year.

If Matthias remains a 4th liner for us throughout the year, that's a good thing, IMO.

Anyways, Jensen wasn't ready. I agree with him not being up here. He has problems in his game that can and should be solved in the AHL.

Down the stretch on a sinking ship is where most of Matthias' career production has come from. I wasn't overly impressed last season, although we were horrendous as a team.

Shawn Matthias has been nothing more than a 4LW on the only decent team he's ever played on.

Having him on the 4th line is good, he's a solid player for that role, but not one that is above being replaced by younger players with potential to be more.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
when does the 23-man roster have to be announced? we are still sitting on 24 as far as i can count.

I've got a really bad feeling that my day is going to be ruined this afternoon.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Why is Corrado still up? He didn't make the top 6, he's not significantly better than Weber if at all, as a spare, he can be called up if we get crippled with injuries, and you don't want him sitting there as the 8th D.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I'm wondering about the 23 man roster as well. Either a cut has yet to be announced or someone's going on the IR.

Due to the timing, I think it means that it can only be a non-waiver assignment to Utica (i.e. Corrado) or Junior (i.e. Horvat). I may be wrong but I thought that all 24 hour waivers have to be cleared for everyone else prior to assignment and since no one was put on waivers yesterday...
There was some talk about Horvat's eligibility for a rehab stint in Utica....not sure if this is available to them.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Due to the timing, I think it means that it can only be a non-waiver assignment to Utica (i.e. Corrado) or Junior (i.e. Horvat). I may be wrong but I thought that all 24 hour waivers have to be cleared for everyone else prior to assignment and since no one was put on waivers yesterday...
There was some talk about Horvat's eligibility for a rehab stint in Utica....not sure if this is available to them.
The Team1040 was salivating over a rehab stint for Horvat in Utica the other day. Probably the most overly-excited I have seen the hosts.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
It's like that scene in Clueless where they're lining up for gym class...

Uh, no, Miss Stoeger? I have a note from my tennis instructor, and he would prefer it if I didn't expose myself to any training that might derail his teachings.

and that's how I feel about Bo Horvat

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Why is Corrado still up? He didn't make the top 6, he's not significantly better than Weber if at all, as a spare, he can be called up if we get crippled with injuries, and you don't want him sitting there as the 8th D.

I thought Bieksa was doubtful for the start of the season? That would explain why Corrado is still here.

SopelFan*

Avs and Canucks only teams to not release their roster. Curious whats goin on with Horvat.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
trying to get approval from the leagues for a Horvat rehab stint in the AHL??

Unless Horvat goes on the IR, he counts even for a rehab/conditioning stint in the AHL.

I think the better question is rather or not KB3 is going on IR. If he isn't, either Horvat goes to Jr. or someone needs to be waived.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'm pretty damn sure its going to be a no. Girgorenko and the Sabres tried to pull the same stunt last year and got denied.

Different circumstances.

Grigorenko was a healthy scratch before being assigned to AHL Rochester. Buffalo was trying to scam the system by sending the kid to the AHL to develop return him to the to the CHL as per the rules. It was either NHL or CHL if you are healthy.

OTOH Horvat is coming off a preseason injury and a case will be made around injury recovery. The league might still reject it but it should be treated differently (played no games and coming back from an injury in the preseason).

Last edited:

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Different circumstances.

Grigorenko was a healthy scratch before being assigned to AHL Rochester. Buffalo was trying to scam the system by sending the kid to the AHL to develop return him to the to the CHL as per the rules. It was either NHL or CHL if you are healthy.

OTOH Horvat is coming off a preseason injury and a case will be made around injury recovery. The league might still reject it but it should be treated differently (played no games and coming back from an injury in the preseason).

Not really all that different. Horvat was hurt but his injury was stated to be minor. If 'nucks want a conditioning stint for him, i'm sure the NHL will want doctors to examine him like Grigorenko to see if he was faking an injury/making a small injury seem much bigger than it actually was.

With Grigorenko, he was healthy but the Sabres claimed he had general soreness (or something like that) and that was the reason he couldn't play. NHL found that to be false. Remember the rule states that the league

"may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan.â€

Pretty sure they won't let Horvat in Utica unless he first goes on IR. Considering he might even be playing as soon as Sat... the odds of that are pretty low unless Horvat continues to sit for another week. Is it really worthwhile for Horvat to just sit out that long to play a handful of games in Utica?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
We have depth at the forward position insofar as the bottom-9. I don't know if it will be worth burning a year in his contract either way, but the optimal hope was that he would be able to head on a conditioning stint for a couple of weeks, come back and play 9 or so games over the course of November/December, then potentially be loaned to the World Juniors before coming back and finishing up the year with Vancouver or being sent back down to junior.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
He will be an NHL player. I'm not worried about these ups and downs. I guess there is always the risk these kinds of players are good trade bait, but good steady dmen who can move the puck are always useful, especially if you develop them

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
And down goes Frank. Didn't have a good camp

Pretty much expected this as he didn't have a great season last year in the AHL. We're spoiled from the rapid progress Edler & Tanev made. He'll be back full-time with the Canucks in the near future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad