Recalled/Assigned: UPD: Canucks assign D Frank Corrado to Utica (Oct 10)

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Very surprising that Mceneny is going down. I thought he looked pretty good with the Comets last year but maybe it is more to do with freeing up a contract spot. Petit and Stewart aren't surprising in the least. Stewart his a big guy and supposedly a late bloomer so maybe one day he could make it due to his size but Petit was just an awful, awful pick. I'm pretty sure he wasn't even ranked by most draft experts and he doesn't really bring anything in particular to the table. It's been proven so many times that drafting players who don't produce in junior is futile so I don't know why we keep doing it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Guessing McEneny's mediocre young stars games combined with the fact there are already enough cometa d signed made it easier to send him down.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Wow, very surprising on McEneny.

Not really, with Kent Huskins, John Negrin, Alex Biega, Bob Saguinetti, Henrik Tommernes, Peter Andersson and at least 1 of Weber, Blain & Corrado penciled into Utica's lineup, McEneny is better off with another year of junior rather than playing in the ECHL.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
All three looked out of their element or just plain lacking in skills at Penticton.

Going in I was expecting McEneny to challenge for an AHL spot but he was outplayed by both Cederholm and Subban.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
No surprise on the first 2, but McEneny has to be viewed as a bit of a disappointment. I get the numbers, but was hoping he'd come in and look like a key piece in a couple of years. Fact they didn't even give him a pre season game likely says the brass weren't impressed with what he showed in camp etc.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Like others, a bit surprised by McEneny being one of the first cuts before even getting a game in. Figured he'd at least be in the running for a job in Utica. But he really didn't look too good at the Young Stars tournament, if he brought that same sort of play to camp, i guess it's not terribly surprising to see him back to Juniors.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
McEneny was hot garbage comparatively in the young stars and couldn't impress during training camp.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Very surprising that Mceneny is going down. I thought he looked pretty good with the Comets last year but maybe it is more to do with freeing up a contract spot. Petit and Stewart aren't surprising in the least. Stewart his a big guy and supposedly a late bloomer so maybe one day he could make it due to his size but Petit was just an awful, awful pick. I'm pretty sure he wasn't even ranked by most draft experts and he doesn't really bring anything in particular to the table. It's been proven so many times that drafting players who don't produce in junior is futile so I don't know why we keep doing it.

This. Why grab Petit when you could have drafted Valk? Like it makes you think Benning lost a game of poker with Petits dad...

*I know Valk stayed undrafted, but another team could have drafted him, or he could have gone to another teams development camp.

Even being an undersized overager, hes still a more solid bet of having him turn into an NHL'er.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Not really, with Kent Huskins, John Negrin, Alex Biega, Bob Saguinetti, Henrik Tommernes, Peter Andersson and at least 1 of Weber, Blain & Corrado penciled into Utica's lineup, McEneny is better off with another year of junior rather than playing in the ECHL.

First off let's come to a simple conclusion. They are going to let Tommernes and Andersson play themselves back to Sweden or get on the stick, one or the other. Secondly, John Negrin is not AHL material.

It's still a numbers game with McEneny. He has only played three Jr. seasons and is now 20 so eligible to complete his 4 years of Jrs. Huskins, Sanguinetti, Biega, Corrado, Tommernes, Andersson, Lafranchise and Blain all have pro experience. I think McEneny would have bypassed T&A in a short order, but still have been in the bottom grouping so playing a key role in Kingston every night will be to his benefit as we all know D-men take longer to develop than forwards. Next season he will be more prepared, bigger and stronger. Corrado should be gone. Andersson should be gone the other way. Evan will move into the flow and fit just fine. I also expect to see him in Utica at the end of the season when Jrs. are over. I still see him as a productive pro D-man.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I've been following prospects in this board long enough to know not to get my hopes to high on late round picks and free prospect signings.

Dan Gendur :help: and so many more...

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Shocked McEneny is assigned to Jr. Guess management figured we are deep enough in Utica and Jr is > ECHL.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Shocked McEneny is assigned to Jr. Guess management figured we are deep enough in Utica and Jr is > ECHL.

Really, if the choice was between minimal minutes and a rotational role in Utica even, i can see some merit in sending him back to Jrs where he'll be leaned on heavily to play huge minutes.

More than anything, it's just surprising that he was sent back before getting a preseason game in though.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Really, if the choice was between minimal minutes and a rotational role in Utica even, i can see some merit in sending him back to Jrs where he'll be leaned on heavily to play huge minutes.

More than anything, it's just surprising that he was sent back before getting a preseason game in though.

My guess it has to do with a piss poor attitude and/or immaturity.

Doesn't hurt to see him through the pre-season, cutting him this early without an obvious reason could be sending a message.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
My guess it has to do with a piss poor attitude and/or immaturity.

Doesn't hurt to see him through the pre-season, cutting him this early without an obvious reason could be sending a message.

Have you seen/heard anything that suggest this is the case?

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
McEneny is a surprise. Unfortunate he didn't earn an AHL role. Could be a lot to do with sliding his contract too however. Probably not the worst thing in the world considering the development path he has taken thus far.

The other two aren't surprises. Stewart doesn't look like an NHL prospect and Pettit is a 4th line centre project that will need full development. Why we spent picks on these two is my question.

canucks10

Jan 15, 2014
Over the Rainbow
McEneny was probably sent down to clear a contract spot. Vancouver now has 51 on the team while the max is 50, once they send down McCann, Virtanen, Cassels and possibly Cederholm (not sure if he's aloud to hop over to the AHL yet being an import and all) That will bring it down to 47 which would also alow them to sign a tryout or 2 (Hopefully Valk)

Anyways wouldn't worry too much about McEneny I mean he was a free agent signing so expectations of him ever becoming a full time NHLer should probably be tempered anyways.

canucks10

Jan 15, 2014
Over the Rainbow
McEneny is a surprise. Unfortunate he didn't earn an AHL role. Could be a lot to do with sliding his contract too however. Probably not the worst thing in the world considering the development path he has taken thus far.

The other two aren't surprises. Stewart doesn't look like an NHL prospect and Pettit is a 4th line centre project that will need full development. Why we spent picks on these two is my question.

6th & 7th round can't expect much, I personally like Stewart but would have much preferred one of Spencer Watson or Jacob Middleton to Pettit.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
6th & 7th round can't expect much, I personally like Stewart but would have much preferred one of Spencer Watson or Jacob Middleton to Pettit.

No, you can't expect too much, but I would much rather see a team take some gambles on some skill players later in the draft. Some lottery tickets. You can find a 4th line centre on the waiver wire before any season.

canucks10

Jan 15, 2014
Over the Rainbow
No, you can't expect too much, but I would much rather see a team take some gambles on some skill players later in the draft. Some lottery tickets. You can find a 4th line centre on the waiver wire before any season.

I agree. Can't believe a guy as talented as Watson fell to the 7th round but hey maybe Benning knows something about Pettit we don't at the very least he should see a slightly increased role in Erie this year

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
McEneny was probably sent down to clear a contract spot. Vancouver now has 51 on the team while the max is 50, once they send down McCann, Virtanen, Cassels and possibly Cederholm (not sure if he's aloud to hop over to the AHL yet being an import and all) That will bring it down to 47 which would also alow them to sign a tryout or 2 (Hopefully Valk)

Anyways wouldn't worry too much about McEneny I mean he was a free agent signing so expectations of him ever becoming a full time NHLer should probably be tempered anyways.

If I'm not mistaken, McEnenys contract can't slide anymore, since he will be an overager in Junior, so sending him down has nothing to do with contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad