Recalled/Assigned: UPD: Canucks assign D Frank Corrado to Utica (Oct 10)

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Is it wrong that I'm happy he's going down for the Comets' sake, nevermind his sake?

The way I see it, even if he's good enough to be in the lineup it doesn't mean he'd be an impact player. He'd be skating as the 6th defenseman on the bottom pairing. In short, the Canucks don't need him. It's better for everyone involved for him to get big minutes in the AHL as, presumably, a #1 guy.

He doesn't make a huge impact on the Canucks, but he makes the Comets much better.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Is it wrong that I'm happy he's going down for the Comets' sake, nevermind his sake?

The way I see it, even if he's good enough to be in the lineup it doesn't mean he'd be an impact player. He'd be skating as the 6th defenseman on the bottom pairing. In short, the Canucks don't need him. It's better for everyone involved for him to get big minutes in the AHL as, presumably, a #1 guy.

He doesn't make a huge impact on the Canucks, but he makes the Comets much better.

Bottom pairing isn't a bad place for a rookie to start, by any means. That's not really the issue. The issue was that Corrado had a bad camp and failed to outplay a single one of the seven defensemen that we already have on the roster.

Corrado could make a defensively starved team, but we actually have a fairly wide spread of decent D men (just no #1). Corrado goes to Utica because he didn't make the Canucks. It's not that he'd be playing bottom pairing minutes here.... it's that he wouldn't be playing at all.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Corrado would only be the 6th dman if someone got hurt. Stanton clearly out played him and taking aside cap issues, Sbisa also out played him during the pre-season. The other 4 are pretty much locked so Corrado is and was only really competition for Weber. That means its #7 dman or AHL... since he doesn't need to clear waivers, Utica was pretty much his home unless he outplayed Sbisa/Stanton during the pre-season (and out played them badly). Remember if its close or even debatable, its better asset management if you can keep both rather than keep one and lose one. Corrado's status this year pretty much ensured he was Utica bound and injury replacement.

Next year will be the year Corrado becomes a lock in the NHL... as either #7 Dman or higher. He'll need to clear waivers (which he isn't likely to clear) so he should stay in the NHL for the entire season.

I still wish the team would waive Sestito since he rarely will get to play. If we didn't "need" him for the Flames, we probably won't need him for any other team (i don't think any team dresses more "enforcers" or fighters than the Flames). If anyone gets hurt, its more likely Jensen gets called up before Sestito plays (unless its a 4th line replacement tho you could argue demoting someone to the 4th line and calling up Jensen gives you a better overall line-up).

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Corrado would only be the 6th dman if someone got hurt. Stanton clearly out played him and taking aside cap issues, Sbisa also out played him during the pre-season. The other 4 are pretty much locked so Corrado is and was only really competition for Weber. That means its #7 dman or AHL... since he doesn't need to clear waivers, Utica was pretty much his home unless he outplayed Sbisa/Stanton during the pre-season (and out played them badly). Remember if its close or even debatable, its better asset management if you can keep both rather than keep one and lose one. Corrado's status this year pretty much ensured he was Utica bound and injury replacement.

Next year will be the year Corrado becomes a lock in the NHL... as either #7 Dman or higher. He'll need to clear waivers (which he isn't likely to clear) so he should stay in the NHL for the entire season.

I still wish the team would waive Sestito since he rarely will get to play. If we didn't "need" him for the Flames, we probably won't need him for any other team (i don't think any team dresses more "enforcers" or fighters than the Flames). If anyone gets hurt, its more likely Jensen gets called up before Sestito plays (unless its a 4th line replacement tho you could argue demoting someone to the 4th line and calling up Jensen gives you a better overall line-up).

Totally agree.

As far as call-ups, I think we see Gaunce if we need a center.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Totally agree.

As far as call-ups, I think we see Gaunce if we need a center.

Agreed but at the same time we have 5 players who "could be" Cs. Of course 4 of them are questionable in the circle... Gaunce is much better in the circle (when compared to Matthais/Vey/Bonino) but he didn't have an outstanding pre-season as many fans probably hoped. Also Gaunce's status correlates directly with how many games Horvat stays for (aka 9 or full season). If Horvat sticks, we suddenly have upto 6C on the roster so its less likely Gaunce gets called up (as both Jensen and HS out played him during the pre-season, of course that could change when Utica's season starts, but as of right now, i would list him as #3 or 4 in terms of forward call-up).

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Don't do it.

Waiting to see who else gets this reference.

I got it and it kicked in another musical reference by association " This Corrosion" with Sisters of Mercy (kind of close to the name and the fact that he was sent down). Perhaps not a good one, but it happened nevertheless.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Agreed but at the same time we have 5 players who "could be" Cs. Of course 4 of them are questionable in the circle... Gaunce is much better in the circle (when compared to Matthais/Vey/Bonino) but he didn't have an outstanding pre-season as many fans probably hoped. Also Gaunce's status correlates directly with how many games Horvat stays for (aka 9 or full season). If Horvat sticks, we suddenly have upto 6C on the roster so its less likely Gaunce gets called up (as both Jensen and HS out played him during the pre-season, of course that could change when Utica's season starts, but as of right now, i would list him as #3 or 4 in terms of forward call-up).

It mostly depends on roster composition, and who's doing what in Utica. If it's a defensive center we need to bring up, we might see Gaunce. Anyone else goes down, it's probably Jensen, then Shinkaruk. And you're right in that if Horvat sticks, that's the nail in the coffin for Gauce this season.

What I like is the number of options we have.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
It mostly depends on roster composition, and who's doing what in Utica. If it's a defensive center we need to bring up, we might see Gaunce. Anyone else goes down, it's probably Jensen, then Shinkaruk. And you're right in that if Horvat sticks, that's the nail in the coffin for Gauce this season.

What I like is the number of options we have.

Thing is, our "extra" C is a defensive center. Richardson has been the one playing wing the first 2 games (tho he takes his fair share of draws too). Matthias played wing during the pre-season a lot more than Vey as well (who i think only played on the RW for 1 period... before Horvat got hurt).

Considering 2 out of the 3 Cs that are likely to play wing (Bonino/Burrows/Higgins seem to have good chemistry together) are defensive Cs, the need to replace that isn't very likely. Also if its for 4C spot, there could be an argument for Lain over BG due to having NHL experience @ the role + AHL top 6 minutes might be better than 4th line NHL minute (altho Matthias did play close to 10 minutes in each of the past 2 games).

As far as Horvat goes, its going to be an interesting week for him. He should be healthy by Friday but question is where he still be here instead of being @ Utica for "conditioning". If the canucks want to try sending him for conditioning, it'll likely be between now and Friday. He would officially miss ~2 weeks due to "injury" by then.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
As an aside he should keep it 'Frankie' Corrado.
Why?
Sometimes these names just sound right for the NHL, like Johnny Boychuk, Tommy Wingels, Gordie Howe.

I'm still a big fan of Francesco Corrado, personally :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad