Speculation: Upcoming Roster Moves

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Hasn't Belanger been put on the IR. I think we should keep playing Whitney as he has been playing a lot better. Let his trade value go up not down by sitting him. If he continues to play this well who know what we might be able to squeeze out for him, a late 1st, one can only hope.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Belanger is on IR. That said IMO if it comes down to Peckham or Potter I hate to say it but Peckham goes down. Potter was giving Toews fits last night, he must've dropped Toews at least 4 times last night. Fistric is a better version of Peckham and in a worse case scenario we could call up Teubert if we need some grit on the blueline. But IMO we have no one ready to replace Potter's game from the farm as sad as that may sound. Paajarvi should not see another second in OKC this year unless it's to help them in the playoffs because the Oilers once again didn't make it. I also don't think that it'd be the end of the world for Hartikainen to go back to OKC and play big minutes and try to get his game back in order. If Paajarvi is sent down instead of Hartikainen then our GM has screws loose.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
So the AHL and ECHL websites are usually pretty quick to update player movement and Cornet's not listed on OKC's roster despite playing last night or on Stockton's.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Belanger is on IR. That said IMO if it comes down to Peckham or Potter I hate to say it but Peckham goes down. Potter was giving Toews fits last night, he must've dropped Toews at least 4 times last night. Fistric is a better version of Peckham and in a worse case scenario we could call up Teubert if we need some grit on the blueline. But IMO we have no one ready to replace Potter's game from the farm as sad as that may sound. Paajarvi should not see another second in OKC this year unless it's to help them in the playoffs because the Oilers once again didn't make it. I also don't think that it'd be the end of the world for Hartikainen to go back to OKC and play big minutes and try to get his game back in order. If Paajarvi is sent down instead of Hartikainen then our GM has screws loose.

Isn't Hartikanen waiver eligible?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The one that makes the most sense is Corey Potter. I'd almost guess that the extra year on his deal was put there to veer GMs away from him if we felt the need to waive him. He'll never be a solid NHL defenseman, but is a half-decent #6 option. :skeptic:

If Theodore Peckham is waived, he'll be picked up without question.

We need to keep the tough players. When Fistric can't play, Peckham is the logical replacement. Potter can spend some time in OKC.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If Whitney and Hemsky are still on the roster next month Tambellini will have failed us horribly. Sell, Sell, Sell.

Sell Hemsky for what? we are not in a calgary position where we have to sell our ageing players because its a need.

Dont sell Hemsky for prospects
Dont sell him a 3rd liner with size but not offensive skills.
Dont trade him for a younger small scoring winger

Package him with a prospect for a top 6 PWF

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
If I'm the Oilers I send Peckham back down to OKC. Who cares if he's claimed? If they send Paajarvi down...

tumblr_lzb9uyfa4o1qj4vs2o1_500.gif

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
More than just "who's playing better" has to be taken into account here. Paajarvi has a limited amount of time left that he can be sent down before being subjected to waivers. Peckham will be subjected to waivers immediately. If you send down Peckham, you can ballyhoo that Paajarvi earned the spot on a bottom 5 team in a throw-away season, but what about when Peckham gets picked up by some other team wanting a little toughness? Then it's bad asset management.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
It's moot anyway. Even though Fistric is ready it doesn't sound like they're going to activate him (yet).

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers
"We don't see a need for change on the defence (tomorrow)." - Krueger on Fistric

dixs35

Jan 26, 2010
E-town
More than just "who's playing better" has to be taken into account here. Paajarvi has a limited amount of time left that he can be sent down before being subjected to waivers. Peckham will be subjected to waivers immediately. If you send down Peckham, you can ballyhoo that Paajarvi earned the spot on a bottom 5 team in a throw-away season, but what about when Peckham gets picked up by some other team wanting a little toughness? Then it's bad asset management.

Then move him. He isn't playing on that same bottom 5 team that regularly dresses Potter ahead of him. He doesn't take his chances seriously as shown by his lack of motivation to do off season workouts. He is just taking up a roster spot. He has been given ample opportunity to seize the day and hasn't. All pro leagues are littered with guys who have all the talent in the world, but don't have the drive to compete or do what is needed to take the next step. Pecks was one of my favourite players when he got here, but IMO he will bounce around to 2+ teams in the next year before he either figures it out or he becomes a career minor leaguer or just done in hockey.

Last edited:

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

Waiving guys like Smyth and Peckham isn't bad asset management, it's addition by subtraction.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Waiving guys like Smyth and Peckham isn't bad asset management, it's addition by subtraction.

Well waiving a player who you just signed to a two-year extension mere months ago makes you look absolutely ridiculous in the eyes of the rest of the league. And regardless of his play on the ice, his history and connection to the community make that move particularly bad for Tambellini's reputation.

And Peckham is better than Potter and is more likely to be claimed, simple as that.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Well waiving a player who you just signed to a two-year extension mere months ago makes you look absolutely ridiculous in the eyes of the rest of the league. And regardless of his play on the ice, his history and connection to the community make that move particularly bad for Tambellini's reputation.

And Peckham is better than Potter and is more likely to be claimed, simple as that.

Many teams have traded/waived players shortly after they signed their contracts. The New York Rangers are the prime example of this, doing so with the likes of Gomez, Redden, and Kotalik. The repercussions were that *drumroll* the Rangers still have no difficulty signing free agents whatsoever and are now a contender. Keeping Ryan Smyth on your roster makes you look absolutely ridiculous in the eyes of the rest of the league, it makes you look like an incompetent organization who has no clue how to move the team forward. The only problem about all this is that I've just described the Oilers word for word.:shakehead

FTR I'd rather waive Potter too, but Krueger has been playing Potter nonstop and giving him prime minutes :facepalm: so I doubt he's going anywhere.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think I'm leaning toward Peckham

Peckham has more value than Potter. He's both younger and more physical than Potter. There'll be a team and GM out there that likes that combo.

Whether we think he's reached his ceiling or not... he still has some room to develop into a decent defensive, tough, bottom pairing dman.

I wouldn't waive Peckham... I'd try to get some sort of pick for him at minimum... but better to waive Potter over Peckham.

The team will likely just keep juggling players on IR though so they don't have to make any real decisions. I'm sure someone has a hangnail or a larger than average zit somewhere on the roster that could spend a few games on IR.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Whitney has been playing well enough to stick around, putting up points to make up for his errors. Peckham and Potter have been cycling for Fistric. Paajarvi has been more dominated offensively then T.H. But Teemu also has the bigger body, I'm leaning towards Paajarvi and there will be a thread about it.

t0psh3lfclu7ch

Real Men Have Scars
Aug 8, 2011
Winnipeg
if hartis gonna be a grinder then he needs to learn to block shots, something he doesnt do. he also needs to hit the net, his missed shot % is atrocious.. he may body check, but he also body checked devan dubnyk out of the last game. its a no brainer he should go down.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Peckham has more value than Potter. He's both younger and more physical than Potter. There'll be a team and GM out there that likes that combo.

Whether we think he's reached his ceiling or not... he still has some room to develop into a decent defensive, tough, bottom pairing dman.

I wouldn't waive Peckham... I'd try to get some sort of pick for him at minimum... but better to waive Potter over Peckham.

The team will likely just keep juggling players on IR though so they don't have to make any real decisions. I'm sure someone has a hangnail or a larger than average zit somewhere on the roster that could spend a few games on IR.

Pretty much every team in the league has a guy like Peckham on their roster. I doubt he gets claimed, if he does he has to stay with the team and we get first dibs to sends him down to the minors.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Can't see why posters think we are moving Belanger and Whitney out for picks, not happening we have been trading picks for players not the other way around . Whitney Belanger or Eager if moved will be sent for developing prospects not picks , The rebuild is past the point of aquiring picks.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Can't see why posters think we are moving Belanger and Whitney out for picks, not happening we have been trading picks for players not the other way around . Whitney Belanger or Eager if moved will be sent for developing prospects not picks , The rebuild is past the point of aquiring picks.

What do you think those guys are worth? Why take on a B level prospect when you can get a pick and choose the guy you want?

We got Fistric for a 3rd. If we're using that model, those 3 aren't going to bring us much (unless Whitney keeps it up, he might get us more).

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
What do you think those guys are worth? Why take on a B level prospect when you can get a pick and choose the guy you want?

We got Fistric for a 3rd. If we're using that model, those 3 aren't going to bring us much (unless Whitney keeps it up, he might get us more).
Whitney would be foolish to move for a mid round pick like people in here suggest , If we are sellers and teams are in need of Players like Whitney Eager and Belanger for a run we would be way better off getting a player 2/3 years already in development than unloading them for longshot picks that might and i mean might have some sort of impact in 2018. Picks comming back will be last resort.

Vikingstad

**** the King
May 1, 2011
Vancouver
Im not ready to move Peckham just yet, The guy was absolutely beastly in 10/11 (He was 8th in the league in D man hits with 180+, and had 120+ blocks). If he can be back to that form, hes an ideal 5/6 D man. Big hits hard, blocks shots and answers the bell. Basically like Fistric (except Fistric is a much smarter player, doesnt take stupid penalties). The game against Smashville Peckham wrecked Hornqvist on a routine hit. Guys injured now, imagine what he would do against divisional foes over the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad