Speculation: Upcoming Expansion Draft Discussion

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think we'd have to pay more to be honest.

I think we can do it with a few excess prospects in the cupboard. Assuming Vegas wants Stajan, 2 prospects + Stajan to select Brouwer probably would work.

Vegas could have the guy they want, a guy they can use and extra prospects then if they took the guy they wanted or the prospects they wanted in the first place.

We'd acquire cap space as well as roster spots for a few prospects we'd not likely be able to use.

I'd rather not argue the specifics, but in general, I think Treliving could move a batch of B prospects to get Brouwer moved if needed. It seems like it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of how much.

Treliving seemed pretty certain that the expansion draft will help us out cap wise. Although logic may point to Vegas going young, I think value is going to be important for them as people have already mentioned.

The one Treliving interview makes it seem like he's got a pretty good read that Vegas will take Brouwer, Bouma or Stajan. Which may suggest a deal already in place to incentivize the move for Vegas.

Though I'd argue, against a pretty popular belief, that losing Stajan doesn't help us out near as much as people think. Bouma is ideally a 13th forward or 4th line winger. Brouwer is ideally a 3rd line winger. Stajan is still a very useful C, who can play up to the 3rd line. I'd rather pay 3.15 for 1 more year of a 3C, than 2.2M for 1 more year of a 13th forward, and would rather pay both than 4.5 for 3 more years of a 3rd line winger.

In order of preference for Vegas' pick from Calgary it would be - Brouwer, Bouma, Stajan.

I think Brouwer really has nowhere to go but up after a horrible year, but that contract will still hurt. Paying Vegas to take Brouwer would require Treliving to admit his mistake a year after handing out that contract, which not many GM's will do, but I do think of any of the 31 would, Tre is one of the most likely to.

If Treliving doesn't take the free out (essentially) to position this team for long term success by losing 3 years of an anchor, I'd say that would go down as his worst move to date, ahead of the Brouwer contract itself.

Agreed. I think Stajan is useful as a bottom 6 C. I think he can play as high as 2nd line as a winger as well.

Recall Trellving bought our Raymond after 1 season of 3.

1. That was cold and so damn honest.
2. We all thought buy outs and salary retention were impossible. He broke 1 of 2.

Agree on Brouwer > Bouma >> Stajan as our preferences to move cap.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think we can do it with a few excess prospects in the cupboard. Assuming Vegas wants Stajan, 2 prospects + Stajan to select Brouwer probably would work.

Vegas could have the guy they want, a guy they can use and extra prospects then if they took the guy they wanted or the prospects they wanted in the first place.

We'd acquire cap space as well as roster spots for a few prospects we'd not likely be able to use.

I'd rather not argue the specifics, but in general, I think Treliving could move a batch of B prospects to get Brouwer moved if needed. It seems like it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of how much.

Agreed. I think Stajan is useful as a bottom 6 C. I think he can play as high as 2nd line as a winger as well.

Recall Trellving bought our Raymond after 1 season of 3.

1. That was cold and so damn honest.
2. We all thought buy outs and salary retention were impossible. He broke 1 of 2.

Agree on Brouwer > Bouma >> Stajan as our preferences to move cap.

Raymond had 2 out 3 seasons. Flame bought out season 3.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'm kinda happy about this, but I'm getting progressively more nervous as the number of possible solutions in net gets smaller :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ferraro isn't exactly a world class insider either, more of a blowhard than anything

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'm kinda happy about this, but I'm getting progressively more nervous as the number of possible solutions in net gets smaller :laugh:

Same. Who else is left? Mason, Grubauer, Raanta, Smith? I suppose Elliott as well, but I think that door is closed.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Same. Who else is left? Mason, Grubauer, Raanta, Smith? I suppose Elliott as well, but I think that door is closed.

I'd add Ryan Miller to that group, maybe Pickard as a platoon option. If we could get Miller at 1 year 3 mil, he would be a good platoon with a young guy like Raanta/Grubauer or Mrazek.

I'm still a Mike Smith guy. He gives us the best chance to win a cup IMO.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd add Ryan Miller to that group, maybe Pickard as a platoon option. If we could get Miller at 1 year 3 mil, he would be a good platoon with a young guy like Raanta/Grubauer or Mrazek.

I'm still a Mike Smith guy. He gives us the best chance to win a cup IMO.

Yeah, Smith would be my first choice right now. Quality goalie, wouldn't (I hope) cost a lot. I would still love to see Gillies as the backup. Raanta would be my 2nd choice, got a good feeling about him.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I just hope we shed some salary in the ED - Stajan, Bouma or Brouwer.

It'll really suck if Vegas signs one of our UFAs to use as their Flames pick.

I still have this feeling that Shinkaruk will be picked; just a hunch.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Smith sucks. Will not be happy if the Flames go after him unless Brouwer's going back the other way.

Anyway, maybe a mod could edit a poll into this thread to predict which Flame gets picked. Assuming the obvious choices are protected, it'd leave the following available:

Brouwer, Troy
Stajan, Matt
Bouma, Lance
Poirier, Emile
Shinkaruk, Hunter
Hamilton, Freddie
Bollig, Brandon
Chiasson, Alex
Vey, Linden
Versteeg, Kris

Bartkowski, Matt
Wideman, Dennis
Engelland, Deryk
Kulak, Brett
Culkin, Ryan
Stone, Michael
Wotherspoon, Tyler

McCollum, Tom
Johnson, Chad
Elliott, Brian

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Are you seriously suggesting a duo of Smith and Pickard would put this team in the bottom 3?

No, he's implying that Rasmus Dahlin is the next Kylington/Liljegrin and he slides to 62 and we pick him after our cup victory. We end up with all of the three Swedish defenseman and they all become better than EK and we win 7 cups. Duh.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I still think Stajan, Bouma or Brouwer are basically almost locks to be picked by Vegas, with Stajan being the most likely. it just makes wayyy to much sense.

- 1 year left on current deal
- good community guy and veteran(which for a brand new team definitely helps)
- could play in their top 9, put up a decent amount of points
- traded at deadline to a contender, with salary retained for a decent early-mid round pick

Although I wouldn't be upset if Brouwer was taken, I still think he's better than he was this year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Are you seriously suggesting a duo of Smith and Pickard would put this team in the bottom 3?
Of course he is. Are you shocked? Notice his lack of advanced stats this time around because they don't fit his narrative, despite normally being the be all and end all? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad