Speculation: Upcoming Expansion Draft Discussion

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yeah I'm starting to wonder if they take Chiasson. Man our depth is so bad :laugh:

Still one of my biggest wishes long term on this team. I complained about it last off season, but our bottom six is still sub par.

Obviously goaltending and bottom 4 defense are still the big priorities, but I'd love a little more forward depth. Granted, finding a real top six RW for the top line pushes Ferland down which makes it look better.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

The radio interview went in more depth on 960 (How you guys can't follow the local coverage is beyond me. It is not like this is an unknown source.) Maybe some of you should at least follow the interviews of the GM, coach, and Burkie other than using the lame line:

"Source"

Treliving has said on multiple occasions that Vegas' pick will likely help our salary cap situation, and that they may be taking on salary on the wings. Unless you're able to reconcile that statement and your own, it definitely seems like you're just making stuff up here.

There has been a ton of coverage regarding how Vegas will not be absorbing cap without getting other assets. So unless there is a deal made you have to follow this thought pattern quoted from BT:

“The players Vegas drafts, not all of them are going to play for Vegas. It’s not so much an expansion draft for them as it is an accumulation of assets,” Treliving said.

He expects McPhee to gather the best young talent, then immediately set to work flipping some extra defencemen and goalies to the other 30 teams in exchange for draft picks in 2017 or down the road. In order words, many of the Golden Knights unveiled on TV in two weeks will never slip on a sweater.

Please note how he states that LV will be picking defensemen and goalies heavily so they can flip assets. The forwards available especially at center are weak at best.

Further if some of you would read a little more almost all of the GM's are expecting LV to draft really young and fill out their team with some older UFA's that they think will be worthy assets at the trade deadline.

Quit putting narratives together that fly in the face of what is being said by those in the business.

Because some lame blogger says something you want to hear, it doesn't make it true.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The radio interview went in more depth on 960 (How you guys can't follow the local coverage is beyond me. It is not like this is an unknown source.) Maybe some of you should at least follow the interviews of the GM, coach, and Burkie other than using the lame line:

"Source"

Wait, your argument is that everyone should be tuned into Calgary sports radio 24/7 just so we can follow what you're trying to say? No. If you post something like that, it's on you to provide a source. Don't try to select that. Anyway, here's what I was talking about. The second quote I thought was from Treliving as well, but apparently was Burke.

Brad Treliving in studio with Boomer and Pinder
  • Thinks Vegas will have some higher salaries on the wings (hint hint hint)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big-show/burke-not-worried-expansion-one-bit/

Here are some of the things I picked up from what Burkie said:
- Praises Johnson for his November run.
- Praises Elliott for his run towards the end of the season.
- Goaltending wasn't good enough in the playoffs but defends Elliott saying we wouldn't be in that position without him.
- Need to figure out the goaltenders for next season and defence.
- Says some goaltenders won't be in play until after the expansion draft, so they will watch what Vegas does.
- Says Treliving did a good job in signing McCollum and Bartkowski to meet the exposed requirements.
- Player they lose to expansion is a player they can afford to lose.
- The Expansion draft will open up more deals to be made.
- Says they're not worried about expansion at all.
- May lose a guy they don't want to lose but will have cap consequences that are favourable to us (losing Stajan, Brouwer or Bouma is what I think he means).

Thanks for posting your source. Altogether, seems like they're saying different things at different times.

Please note how he states that LV will be picking defensemen and goalies heavily so they can flip assets. The forwards available especially at center are weak at best.

Further if some of you would read a little more almost all of the GM's are expecting LV to draft really young and fill out their team with some older UFA's that they think will be worthy assets at the trade deadline.

Quit putting narratives together that fly in the face of what is being said by those in the business.

Because some lame blogger says something you want to hear, it doesn't make it true.

I'm sure you can see how laughable this rant is.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think Vegas would be extremely foolish to take Brouwer over Stajan without any concessions made on our part.

Assuming they take Grubauer and stock up on picks, would you guys do:

16th + Brouwer for Grubauer + 2nd/3rd (acquired elsewhere)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Have to wonder if, putting those quotes together, Treliving sees the Flames as a possible beneficiary of this proposed sell-off of surplus assets. Would make sense as context for that comment.

For sure what makes the most sense for Vegas is to leave the guys alone that teams actively want to get rid of, but with the Flames, there aren't really any appealing alternatives. Even if their overall MO is to take young assets, they may not see Kulak as worthwhile due to the high chance they get nothing from that pick.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Kulak or Stajan is my guess.

Kulak cause he's the best prospect we're leaving exposed and Stajan cause he's a great team guy and while he's over paid a bit, it's not a terrible contract. Unlike Brouwer.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah I'll go

35% Kulak. He's just so much better then our other exposed prospects. So if they go prospect it's him.

30% Brouwer (I also think there is a 29% chance we have a deal in place to give them a pick/prospect to take him. 1% chance they outright take him)

25% Chiasson. Best FW availiable. Inexpensive. Makes sense if they actually pick a forward.

9% Matt Stajan/Bouma. Overpaid but expiring "leaders"

1% anyone else

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Haven't seen it mentioned but Freidman believes there is an agreed upon deal between Vegas and Columbus involving Clarkson and CLB 1st.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

"Source"
What a charmed life you must lead if you can listen to the radio 24/7 and not work for a living. Oh and not all of us live in Calgary, so it is not local coverage for us.

Also your apparent source is you reading between the lines to directly contradict what was actually said.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
This is Vegas we're talking about, a city that will not be satisfied icing a loser team for very long. They will be looking for actual NHL players. Right now, it looks like defence and goaltending should be their strength. I see no reason why they would pick a kid like Kulak, most teams have 1 or 2 and I'd give him a 50/50 shot of clearing waivers. If they do look for youth, I think there's a higher chance of them going after Shinkaruk, given players available around the league.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I think Vegas would be extremely foolish to take Brouwer over Stajan without any concessions made on our part.

Assuming they take Grubauer and stock up on picks, would you guys do:

16th + Brouwer for Grubauer + 2nd/3rd (acquired elsewhere)

Yes. We get rid of Brouwer, we gain a potential starter and re-coup a 2nd/3rd by dropping out of the first.

I think it's a fair trade considering Vegas will most likely be rocking Fleury for the next 2-3 years.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes. We get rid of Brouwer, we gain a potential starter and re-coup a 2nd/3rd by dropping out of the first.

I think it's a fair trade considering Vegas will most likely be rocking Fleury for the next 2-3 years.
It's not realistic IMO.
Chances are Grubauer costs a 1st on his own, we wouldn't be getting a pick back. Also I don't think Vegas needs incentive to draft Brouwer, one poor year doesn't make a career as much as the mindless group think on here wants you to believe.

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
It's not realistic IMO.
Chances are Grubauer costs a 1st on his own, we wouldn't be getting a pick back. Also I don't think Vegas needs incentive to draft Brouwer, one poor year doesn't make a career as much as the mindless group think on here wants you to believe.

Given McPhee´s history I could see him valueing (hopefully thats actually a word) him more than any of us.

If LV actually takes 4+ goalies, their prices will go down, since they can´t keep all of them with waivers etc.

I think at the end of the day we´ll all be happy with BT´s trade for a goalkeeper. He has shown that he doesn´t overpay in his last trades.

And don´t forget: Anything is possible in this life :nod:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Honestly I don't see Vegas trading Grubauer at all, I think he's a future top end #1 (not Price/Holtby good, but a step below) and if taken by Vegas, he'll be their starter for a very long time. IMO, the only chance to get him would be prior to expansion.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
What a charmed life you must lead if you can listen to the radio 24/7 and not work for a living. Oh and not all of us live in Calgary, so it is not local coverage for us.

Also your apparent source is you reading between the lines to directly contradict what was actually said.

HIS1tUd.jpg

My so-called "Charmed Life!"

Typical MM- you speak without gaining any knowledge about what you are talking about. That was a pic of my X-ray in October of last year. 4 hours of physio every day may not be a "job" but rehabbing my ankle every day likely takes more energy and dedication than many are familiar with. My injury is life changing and I will likely still have to have 3 or 4 more surgeries to get the most out of my life. I will never run again; I will never lift 100 plus pounds again; Sports are now a thing of the past and playing with the kids will be more challenging. After I am completely rehabbed I will be left with a legacy of severe arthritic pain but despite that I will be working and living life to the max. There is no room in my life for being a victim. I am a survivor! I live by the motto "If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger!"

If you paid any attention you would know I am not in Calgary ... I am in Saskatchewan. I have never listened to 960 live but I do stream the interviews pertaining to the Flames more often than not.

This is Vegas we're talking about, a city that will not be satisfied icing a loser team for very long. They will be looking for actual NHL players. Right now, it looks like defence and goaltending should be their strength. I see no reason why they would pick a kid like Kulak, most teams have 1 or 2 and I'd give him a 50/50 shot of clearing waivers. If they do look for youth, I think there's a higher chance of them going after Shinkaruk, given players available around the league.

Do you think McPhee has no clue on how to build a competitive team? The recipe for building a NHL team isn't some hidden locked away secret. It is about acquiring prospects and drafting wisely. Not by getting 30 plus has been's. Toronto, and Calgary have shown the quickest way to becoming a "winner" is through the draft and acquiring young assets.

Shinkaruk is a possibility but only if their scouts believe he can be slotted into the line-up this year.

It's not realistic IMO.

If Treliving wanted Grubauer he could be had right now for far less. Likely one of our better prospects and to swallow a contract for Washington. With no move made this likely indicates the Flames don't think Grubauer is any better than the goalies they have in Stockton. If BT wanted him he would have been acquired already.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Sure, but putting together a roster devoid of vets is just asking for trouble too.

I do think Vegas thinks this though:

Stajan > Brouwer.

Why? Locker room guy, a centreman (which Treliving seems will be more difficult to acquire than dmen, G and wingers). I think Stajan could easily get an extension in Vegas if taken. Probably less than 3 mil though, but they'll keep him around.

Keep in mind, Vegas does need to meet the cap floor. I don't think Vegas will acquire assets then start flipping pieces around like it's NHL 2018. I think they may flip a few excess pieces, but overall expansion draft 70-80% of the roster that will play starting next season.

@Rusty, dang, that sucks. Sorry to hear about your ankle.

I disagree with you about Grubauer though. From Washington's side if they trade Grubauer:

1. Need to acquire another goalie to meet expansion requirements.
2. Lose multiple players they hope to keep: Schmidt, Grubauer (Not sure who else)
3. 1+2 = Grubauer's acquisition cost is higher because it costs Washington assets to move Grubauer early.

For this reason, it's expected talking to Vegas may work better.

However, IMO, Treliving is not targeting who we all think he is. He will likely bust out a crazy deal in the same vein as Hamilton. We'll all scratch our heads wondering how the hell he knew the guy was even available. If we end up with a lacklustre option, I think the real deal fell through at the last moment. I'm crazily thinking that chatting about MAF was actually a ploy to see if he could keep the channels open on MM. But, I'd rather just see things play out than go further in what most other posters would call, "A fantasy". I think we end up with someone who hasn't really been discussed yet. Another similar vein as Elliott.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Sure, but putting together a roster devoid of vets is just asking for trouble too.

I do think Vegas thinks this though:

Stajan > Brouwer.

Why? Locker room guy, a centreman (which Treliving seems will be more difficult to acquire than dmen, G and wingers). I think Stajan could easily get an extension in Vegas if taken. Probably less than 3 mil though, but they'll keep him around.

Keep in mind, Vegas does need to meet the cap floor. I don't think Vegas will acquire assets then start flipping pieces around like it's NHL 2018. I think they may flip a few excess pieces, but overall expansion draft 70-80% of the roster that will play starting next season.

@Rusty, dang, that sucks. Sorry to hear about your ankle.

I disagree with you about Grubauer though. From Washington's side if they trade Grubauer:

1. Need to acquire another goalie to meet expansion requirements.
2. Lose multiple players they hope to keep: Schmidt, Grubauer (Not sure who else)
3. 1+2 = Grubauer's acquisition cost is higher because it costs Washington assets to move Grubauer early.

For this reason, it's expected talking to Vegas may work better.

However, IMO, Treliving is not targeting who we all think he is. He will likely bust out a crazy deal in the same vein as Hamilton. We'll all scratch our heads wondering how the hell he knew the guy was even available. If we end up with a lacklustre option, I think the real deal fell through at the last moment. I'm crazily thinking that chatting about MAF was actually a ploy to see if he could keep the channels open on MM. But, I'd rather just see things play out than go further in what most other posters would call, "A fantasy". I think we end up with someone who hasn't really been discussed yet. Another similar vein as Elliott.

Elias Lindholm coming the Flames for someone useless confirmed? :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm: In all seriousness when it comes to goalies, the only goalie I can see happening in that scenario is if we somehow steal Demko.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Elias Lindholm coming the Flames for someone useless confirmed? :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm: In all seriousness when it comes to goalies, the only goalie I can see happening in that scenario is if we somehow steal Demko.

If the big move for goaltending was to get Demko, I'd give up on being a Flames fan. We have 3 better goalie prospects, why would we give up anything for Demko?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
HIS1tUd.jpg

My so-called "Charmed Life!"

Typical MM- you speak without gaining any knowledge about what you are talking about. That was a pic of my X-ray in October of last year. 4 hours of physio every day may not be a "job" but rehabbing my ankle every day likely takes more energy and dedication than many are familiar with. My injury is life changing and I will likely still have to have 3 or 4 more surgeries to get the most out of my life. I will never run again; I will never lift 100 plus pounds again; Sports are now a thing of the past and playing with the kids will be more challenging. After I am completely rehabbed I will be left with a legacy of severe arthritic pain but despite that I will be working and living life to the max. There is no room in my life for being a victim. I am a survivor! I live by the motto "If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger!"

If you paid any attention you would know I am not in Calgary ... I am in Saskatchewan. I have never listened to 960 live but I do stream the interviews pertaining to the Flames more often than not.

Do you think McPhee has no clue on how to build a competitive team? The recipe for building a NHL team isn't some hidden locked away secret. It is about acquiring prospects and drafting wisely. Not by getting 30 plus has been's. Toronto, and Calgary have shown the quickest way to becoming a "winner" is through the draft and acquiring young assets.

Shinkaruk is a possibility but only if their scouts believe he can be slotted into the line-up this year.

If Treliving wanted Grubauer he could be had right now for far less. Likely one of our better prospects and to swallow a contract for Washington. With no move made this likely indicates the Flames don't think Grubauer is any better than the goalies they have in Stockton. If BT wanted him he would have been acquired already.

Given the defensemen, potentially available to Vegas, I'd say there's a much better chance of Shinkaruk playing, than there would be Kulak

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Typical MM- you speak without gaining any knowledge about what you are talking about.

You are getting mad because you assumed something (several times) and then MM didn't know about your injury.

[MOD] you assuming everyone has the same time/access to local news media as you was the flawed assumption.

(I also agree that you are interpreting them wrong and then blasting people for not following along)

On topic, IF Neal is available like Lebrun is theorizing, I hope we're in on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

If we do not get Lindholm, I am going to quit being a fan of hockey and go on a Flamescation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad