Speculation: Upcoming Expansion Draft Discussion

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Engelland it is

Peace out Engels.
I can't wait to play against you, and watch our team spend the entire night in your zone.

This was a fan pick; he's going to wear an A and be a leader for that team... They made a big deal about 'Vegas resident'. I see what they did, but man, Kulak and Chiasson were better options IMO. Even Staj.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Are there any better problem solvers on the UFA market than Engelland? Big difference between his brand of physicality and Stone's, but ideally I'd like a deterrent who actually deters this time.

Obviously Stone is better than Engelland. I'm now feeling very confident that he'll be back.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Lol well at least he brings that. That one attribute is one more than anything Kulak brings.

Well, Kulak does bring the ability to skate and play in the oppositions zone for a good bit of the night. But I'm not even a huge Kulak guy, so this comment means nothing to me.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Obviously Stone is better than Engelland. I'm now feeling very confident that he'll be back.

I just meant that Stone is physical but not at all in the same way that Engelland is. The team needs a guy to answer the bell with him gone.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I just meant that Stone is physical but not at all in the same way that Engelland is. The team needs a guy to answer the bell with him gone.

Ferland can answer a bell just fine.
He can also actually play hockey.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Chia getting the nod here is LoL.
GM of the year for being gifted 1OA and not trading him :laugh:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Ferland can answer a bell just fine.
He can also actually play hockey.

Are we comfortable with having a third year NHLer be our enforcer though? A lot of that position is based around experience/other teams being afraid of you, which I don't think Ferland really has yet.

If that's the case then that's great, I prefer my ****-kickers to be ones that also play hockey anyways, but I don't know that Ferland really scares teams away from slashing Johnny yet.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Are we comfortable with having a third year pro be our enforcer though? A lot of that position is based around experience/other teams being afraid of you, which I don't think Ferland really has yet.

If that's the case then that's great, I prefer my ****-kickers to be ones that also play hockey anyways, but I don't know that Ferland really scares teams away from slashing Johnny yet.

I think the Enforcer is dead.
Guys like Ferland are good enough, because people slashing and taking liberties don't tend to be 6'5'' goons.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Torts just beat out Toronto and Edmonton. Vancouver loses on this one too. I can go to bed happy, I guess?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Bennett is also tough as nails. Laid into Trouba who has a few inches and 15 pounds on him

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He can answer the bell and get murdered if he takes on guys Engelland used to take on (Lucic 2x, Boll, Iginla).

He'd be punching above his weight, but he wouldn't get murdered.
You likely never followed him in Brandon. The guy was constantly fighting pure goons.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Losing Engelland should seriously open the door to sign Iginla. I can't think of any other functional toughness available this off season.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Good for Engelland. He is going to go to a team where he can play out his career in front of fans that view him as a hero.

Great win for Calgary in that nothing was lost in the selection. He was signed for the PR win in Vegas. Engelland was going to sign in Vegas regardless but they used the selection to get the hometown boy signed for the show.

Calgary is likely the largest winner of a team not based in Vegas. The Flames lost nothing. All the talk about "a lack toughness", slamming good prospects, or who should have been selected is nothing but being petty.

Looking forward all Flames fans should be very happy.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Not even a little surprised they supposedly took Engelland. He's a good leader in the lockerroom and lives in Vegas - he's a great spokesman/go-to-guy for the players new to the area for those selected/thinking about being signed there.

Seconded.

He's picked more because of the non-on-ice reasons. Which is not a stupid pick, really.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
On a scale of possible good outcomes.
1) Troy Brouwer
2) Lance Bouma
3) Deryk Engelland

Anyone else would have been considered a bit of a negative outcome. Even though Staj's overpaid, he's a good 4th line centre.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Stajan is gonna be the perfect mentor for Jankowski as he gets acclimated to the NHL. I'm glad he gets to see out his contract

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
He'd be punching above his weight, but he wouldn't get murdered.
You likely never followed him in Brandon. The guy was constantly fighting pure goons.

They were still teenagers, that means absolutely nothing at the NHL level.

Remember how abused Oiler skill guys used to be in the pre- Lucic/ Maroon/ Nurse/ Kassian era?

That will be us this year if Tre doesn't do something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad