Speculation: Upcoming Expansion Draft Discussion

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They took Berube and passed over many better goalies when at least three other teams are in desperate need of one. This is a tank job
The backup goalie is a sign of a tank job?

giphy.webp

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yeah, seems like they only want to be mildly competitive. Not Colorado/Edmonton bad but still a frontrunner for Dahlin. Understandable; even going with best NHL'er available from each team, they still would have been a bubble playoff team at best with almost nothing in the way of a bright future.

As for goalies, surprising they're only taking three but I guess the market isn't that strong. No point in taking Grubauer or Raanta if other organizations aren't willing to give up something good for them. With Fleury+Berube+????, they're probably set for the next couple of years at least. And since they're sharing their farm team, looks like they figured they don't need to worry about stocking it.

Still think Treliving will try something in the next couple of days. At the moment, assuming the critical RFA's are re-signed, there's absolutely no room for any forward from the farm to make the team. And of course he still has to overpay two veteran defencemen in free agency.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Knights have confirmed that they have no signed any UFAs and any UFAs they selected may not sign with Vegas.

What? I thought that the only way they could select UFAs was if they negotiated a contract with them... hence why that perceived circumvention/loophole existed regarding teams waiting until after expansion to sign their pending UFAs. :huh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What? I thought that the only way they could select UFAs was if they negotiated a contract with them... hence why that perceived circumvention/loophole existed regarding teams waiting until after expansion to sign their pending UFAs. :huh:
Nope, they just were allowed to, didn't have to. This gives them a potential out if they don't actually want someone from a team. But having the negotiating window gave them the chance to see if the player wanted to be sign there.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
So Habs lose 3dmen in Emelin, Sergachev and Beaulieu in a matter of days. That's some shrewd GMing.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Kulak >>>> Engelland

That is not true.

An NHL GM has decided he is not even worth a guy that he can sign for free in a couple weeks.

Honestly even the Flames dont think he is all that, just some random fans

May 27, 2012
Earth
I don't see the big deal with their picks. They have a plan, and we don't know what's happening behind the scenes. Besides, I don't think they need a goalie since Fleury will be their #1 for the foreseeable future. He is athletic and he should hold up like Luongo.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Saying Engelland > Kulak because Vegas picked him doesn't make any sense given that there were a number of players Vegas could've taken who were better than Engelland. The selection was altogether stupid on Vegas' part considering they could've had him for free, saying that this somehow proves one player is better than the other doesn't make sense because the whole selection was illogical from the team's perspective.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Saying Engelland > Kulak because Vegas picked him doesn't make any sense given that there were a number of players Vegas could've taken who were better than Engelland. The selection was altogether stupid on Vegas' part considering they could've had him for free, saying that this somehow proves one player is better than the other doesn't make sense because the whole selection was illogical from the team's perspective.

Lol or they just value Engelland more.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Well, since a GM made the trade, clearly Erat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Forsberg

Because a GM did it. Remember, they can never be wrong.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Well, since a GM made the trade, clearly Erat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Forsberg

Because a GM did it. Remember, they can never be wrong.

yeah, we still hold to the next Brodie :sarcasm:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I knew there was no way that they were taking Kulak. With all the dmen that they were available and they ended taking, Kulak would be way down on that list. I'm happy he's still around.

Best of luck to the Minister of Defence, thank you for your service and I'll always remember him beating up 2 Nuckleheads at once.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I'm going to miss how much Engelland deterred from his toughness.
Those slashes Johnny use to take, can't imagine how much Engelland meant to this team.

Are there any better problem solvers on the UFA market than Engelland? Big difference between his brand of physicality and Stone's, but ideally I'd like a deterrent who actually deters this time.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Vegas is going right, right, right for the Dahlin pick.
These guys are going to be lucky to win 20 games :laugh:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Vegas took a 5th to take Connor Brickley when Stempniak and Dahlbeck are right there. Come on now

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Remember when fans were trying to convince the league that Garth Snow was a competent GM?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Thank Christ.
I didn't want that abomination on the ice hanging around and Treliving hoping to bring back his 'toughness'.

Lol well at least he brings that. That one attribute is one more than anything Kulak brings.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
McPhee announced the pick by saying "from Calgary, the Golden Knights sign Deryk Engelland" (paraphrasing). Sounds like it was a done deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad