unwritten rules of beer leagues?

cjspencer

Sep 30, 2010
i'm a 92, so this spring will be my first time playing adult hockey, all my friends made a team and this is everyones first time playing adult as well. i was wondering if theres any unspoken rules, things that everyone already knows

my friends are all talking about getting tinted visors and how they're going to dangle the **** out of everyone and etc. i feel like they're going to run up the score/ be cocky, and then get their ass kicked by some 30yr old guy who doesn't give a ****.

we're all used to competitive hockey, most of the guys played travel and/or high school.

ps. anyone use the warior ak? i finally switched from a two-piece to a one-piece and was thinking of getting it

SuburbanArgyle

May 4, 2010
Pretty much all the advice can just fit under the heading "don't be a dick".

Also, unless you are playing against people who have never skated before, it's harder than you might think to just go out and dangle and skate circles around everyone, even if you are better than them.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
1. Play Defense. No matter how much you suck offensively, if you can play well in the defensive zone, people won't care too much if you aren't that good.

2. Backcheck. Don't be lazy, if the other team is going the other way and your D is outnumbered, backcheck hard. I don't care if you're tired. It's so annoying when people just glide back and leave the D out to dry. We all want to win even if you don't care of some reason.

3. Don't play dirty. Everyone wants to have fun and no one has dreams of playing in the NHL. We all have to go to work tomorrow, so don't play dirty. A little aggressiveness is fine, but there's a line, don't cross it.

4. Don't take extra long shifts. If your teammates are taking extra long shifts, then I guess stay out longer, otherwise take your minute and get off. Don't be that guy who messes up the lines because you're not tired yet or there's an offensive chance the other way that you don't want to miss. Everyone's paying to play, so everyone should get the same amount of ice time.

5. Don't try to act like a know-it-all. Don't criticize your teammates over nonsense. If you're going to criticize someone, do it in a manner so that you're trying to teach them the right way of doing it. Don't be that guy who complains whenever your teammates do something wrong. Everyone hates that guy.

6. Pass the puck. Don't be that guy who thinks he's better than everyone and therefore never passes to everyone else. Everyone hates that guy.

7. Don't play in a league that's lower than your skill level. It's a dick thing to do and may lead to guys going over the edge to physically attack you. No one likes getting their ***** kicked by a team full of guys who think it's cool to pick on less skilled players. If you're that good play in the A league and play against real competition.

I could probably think of a few more.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
my friends are all talking about getting tinted visors and how they're going to dangle the **** out of everyone and etc. i feel like they're going to run up the score/ be cocky, and then get their ass kicked by some 30yr old guy who doesn't give a ****.

Try to run up the score and be cocky. They'll probably be much less successful then they think.

And yeah, if they try to be *******s, they'll get themselves ingloriously tossed into the net. Or upended. Or given a few extra shoves and whacks.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
"Don't be a jerk" is pretty much the summation of beer league rules. To your teammates, to the other team, to the officials--just don't be a jerk and things should go along fine.

Depending on how competitive the league is(A-Level, etc.) should determine the other things like how hard you compete, the intensity of the league, etc.

But by and large, beer leagues are a place where people play and get up the next morning to go to their dayjobs.

mooseOAK*

Good that you realize that age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

From the attitude of your teammates it seems like they will learn the negative aspects the hard way.

Don't get the tinted visor thing, is that supposed to intimidate me?

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
-dont hog the puck
-dont take things too seriously
-dont be a *********

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON
As everyone is saying, just don't be a jerk. If you and your friends are dangling around everyone, you're not playing in the right division. If you continue to do it, you're going to get your ***** handed to you, to put it nicely. Don't underestimate man strength.

jwise514

Nov 8, 2009
You're in for a surprise if you play in a decent league. You will automatically assume during your first warm up that, because you're young and healthy and played some mildly competitive hockey, you'll own the guy on the other end in old gear half hacking a few clappers with no visor and his chin strap undone. Note, this guy always looks like Doug Gilmour circa 1997. What you don't yet know is that this guy is 30, played junior A 12 years ago, and may be losing his legs, but is tougher and about 1000 times smarter than you with the puck. Dangle him if you must, but when he gets the puck it's cross ice tape to tape every time, and he's going top cheese on your goalie all night without even moving his feet. So yeah, bottom line is, you may have nicer gear than half the league and some fresh legs, but respect your elders, cause they will OWN you that first half season.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Issue here is "don't be a dick" is something a lot of people understand, but not necessarily 19 year olds. They'll learn in time.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
You're in for a surprise if you play in a decent league. You will automatically assume during your first warm up that, because you're young and healthy and played some mildly competitive hockey, you'll own the guy on the other end in old gear half hacking a few clappers with no visor and his chin strap undone. Note, this guy always looks like Doug Gilmour circa 1997. What you don't yet know is that this guy is 30, played junior A 12 years ago, and may be losing his legs, but is tougher and about 1000 times smarter than you with the puck. Dangle him if you must, but when he gets the puck it's cross ice tape to tape every time, and he's going top cheese on your goalie all night without even moving his feet. So yeah, bottom line is, you may have nicer gear than half the league and some fresh legs, but respect your elders, cause they will OWN you that first half season.

It's so true. There's a defenseman who I play with who learned to play in the era of flat bladed sticks. He's old, and can't skate much anymore, but he's always in just the right position, knows when the refs aren't looking and will get ya when they aren't, and can still shoot a 90+ slapper accurate enough to pick spots from center ice. I've seen him and a guy who's now playing DI NCAA playing horse from center ice. And I have taken one in the foot. Incidentally, I heartily endorse Easton's one piece composite boots, which are now only on the stealth line.

The guys playing in beer leagues are often better then you think they are. They may be out just to have fun and a few beers, but don't think that you'll automatically be the star just by being young.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
since I'm twice your age I will just say, play like you would if your dad and his buddies were on the other team. play hard but clean and treat them with respect.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Agreed with the general consensus. Basically:

- Play in the right division. Most good beer leagues in places where hockey is popular will have many divisions, ranging from newbies in the bottom levels to plenty of ex-CHL/college players in the top level. My beer league in Vancouver has 13 divisions I think (each with about 7-10 teams), if you and your buddies played high school and/or low level travel hockey I'd say you guys would be roughly a division 6/7 player in this league, in the right division you won't have to worry about your buddies hot dogging because they simply won't be able to without turning the puck over. I used to play high school hockey in Toronto (and am still in my mid 20s), my team is in div 7, and I'm an average player in this division

- As long as you're in the right division, absolutely play as hard as you want, kill yourself on every shift just as you would in minor/HS hockey. Beer league is more casual than what you've been playing, but it's not shinny or anything, your teammates and opponents will expect you to skate hard. Just make sure to keep it clean, don't chirp/be obnoxious, and remember that it's non contact (minor bumping and pushing is fine, especially if someone is screening your goalie, real hitting is not OK, neither is dirty stickwork). Some guys think they are "agitators" in beer league, these are normally guys with no talent who spend too much time listening to analysts on TV talking about how effective Steve Ott is, don't be "that guy"

- The only exception to "play hard" is in major blow outs, or if you're way too good for the division you're playing in. Easily remedied by just playing in the right division, or ratcheting down the intensity slightly if your team is really smoking the other team. If you're way too good for your division, just focus on passing and don't go quite as hard, but obviously you'll have way more fun against similarly skilled opponents, where you can go all out

- Fights are very rare, I would say never start a fight in beer league under any circumstances, defend yourself if need be but this should almost never happen

That's really it. As for celebrating goals, as long as it's a close game then congrats with teammates (high 5s) is always cool, maybe even a touch more for big goals (OT winner in the playoffs or really any hard fought game), just don't go over the top, no Radulov/Ovy type celebrations.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Unless you guys played Junior A or better, you will probably learn a lot playing in most decent beer leagues.

The first thing being that you usually aren't as good as you think you are.

mhkehoe

Nov 18, 2010
I am mid 20s, and I will echo everything said here. You will notice the older guys are slower skaters than you, but they will be a mile ahead of you with positioning and where to send the puck when they get it.

Just because they are slow now doesn't mean they didn't play your level of hockey or higher in their younger years. Some of the guys on an older team might have played the last 5-10 years together. No amount of speed you have over them is going to make up for the chemistry they have.

Bottom line is, go into a league that you belong in, and you will have a blast in adult leagues. You will probably find that you learn a ton your first few seasons.

nyqs81

Apr 19, 2007
i'm a 92, so this spring will be my first time playing adult hockey, all my friends made a team and this is everyones first time playing adult as well. i was wondering if theres any unspoken rules, things that everyone already knows

Everyone has posted them. Don't be a dick is the main law to abide.

Seriously what's the deal with a tinted visor? Is it supposed to be cool because Ovechkin wears one? Is it supposed to make me intimidated? I'll still stick with my 20 dollar Jofa cage from 6 years ago. Your friend will probably learn these things the hard way:

1) They aren't as good as they think they are.
2) Everyone has weak spots in their gear.
3) When running up the score you may want to stay on the bench.

we're all used to competitive hockey, most of the guys played travel and/or high school.

Play your competition. Everyone has High School Heroes.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Agreed with the general consensus. Basically:

- Play in the right division. Most good beer leagues in places where hockey is popular will have many divisions, ranging from newbies in the bottom levels to plenty of ex-CHL/college players in the top level. My beer league in Vancouver has 13 divisions I think (each with about 7-10 teams), if you and your buddies played high school and/or low level travel hockey I'd say you guys would be roughly a division 6/7 player in this league, in the right division you won't have to worry about your buddies hot dogging because they simply won't be able to without turning the puck over. I used to play high school hockey in Toronto (and am still in my mid 20s), my team is in div 7, and I'm an average player in this division

- As long as you're in the right division, absolutely play as hard as you want, kill yourself on every shift just as you would in minor/HS hockey. Beer league is more casual than what you've been playing, but it's not shinny or anything, your teammates and opponents will expect you to skate hard. Just make sure to keep it clean, don't chirp/be obnoxious, and remember that it's non contact (minor bumping and pushing is fine, especially if someone is screening your goalie, real hitting is not OK, neither is dirty stickwork). Some guys think they are "agitators" in beer league, these are normally guys with no talent who spend too much time listening to analysts on TV talking about how effective Steve Ott is, don't be "that guy"

- The only exception to "play hard" is in major blow outs, or if you're way too good for the division you're playing in. Easily remedied by just playing in the right division, or ratcheting down the intensity slightly if your team is really smoking the other team. If you're way too good for your division, just focus on passing and don't go quite as hard, but obviously you'll have way more fun against similarly skilled opponents, where you can go all out

- Fights are very rare, I would say never start a fight in beer league under any circumstances, defend yourself if need be but this should almost never happen

That's really it. As for celebrating goals, as long as it's a close game then congrats with teammates (high 5s) is always cool, maybe even a touch more for big goals (OT winner in the playoffs or really any hard fought game), just don't go over the top, no Radulov/Ovy type celebrations.

I don't see whats wrong with chirping? If you play a clean game, and you can back up your words I say, say whatever you like. Agitators really do have a place in hockey more the Perry type than Carcillo I'd say. Guys who take you off your game by shadowing you and talking smack, and then while your all flustered go and score that big goal. Words do a lot to take a guy off their game, its just annoying when you've got a guy following you around hacking and slashing you (not getting any calls against him) and just talking smack, those are the guys who get hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad