GDT: Unsolved Mysteries ep.8 (2.11)

Is Brett Pesce part of the mob?

• Total voters

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
While I don’t think last nights loss is a reason to go full blown panic mode, I do think the Rangers are a serious threat.

They’ve got probably the second if not the best goalie in the league. I personally think their top end talent puts their forward group slightly ahead of ours. They’re more physical and faster as a whole. They’ve got a superstar defenseman. Slight edge in special teams, I personally favor an above average power play vs PK.

To me they’re starting to look more and more like TB before they broke out and went on their back to back Cup winning run, they’ve got the similar pieces in place, minus the coach. Doesn’t mean they’re not beatable by any means, but to dismiss them as an easy opponent, especially come playoff time, is a fool’s errand. Especially if the whistle’s start blowing in their favor.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
While I don’t think last nights loss is a reason to go full blown panic mode, I do think the Rangers are a serious threat.

They’ve got probably the second if not the best goalie in the league. I personally think their top end talent puts their forward group slightly ahead of ours. They’re more physical and faster as a whole. They’ve got a superstar defenseman. Slight edge in special teams, I personally favor an above average power play vs PK.

To me they’re starting to look more and more like TB before they broke out and went on their back to back Cup winning run, they’ve got the similar pieces in place, minus the coach. Doesn’t mean they’re not beatable by any means, but to dismiss them as an easy opponent, especially come playoff time, is a fool’s errand. Especially if the whistle’s start blowing in their favor.
I think they're built better for the playoffs compared to us but I'm not really sold on their center depth especially 5 on 5. If they do get lots of powerplays in the playoffs, I like them as Cup favorites though.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I think they're built better for the playoffs compared to us but I'm not really sold on their center depth especially 5 on 5. If they do get lots of powerplays in the playoffs, I like them as Cup favorites though.
I don’t know if I would go as far as to put them as favorites but they’re definitely not going to be an easy out. No team really is though. I do think NYR are a better team than they were last season. And other than Freddie being healthy right now I’m not sure the same can be said about the Hurricanes.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Read the post. What’s wrong with it?

If we played New Jersey and beat them badly, and one of their posters came by and said "Oh good job. You're definitely going to win the Cup this year. Stanley Cup Final or bust, right guys?" in the midst of the typical celebration posts we have during wins, you'd immediately assume they're being sarcastic.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
If we played New Jersey and beat them badly, and one of their posters came by and said "Oh good job. You're definitely going to win the Cup this year. Stanley Cup Final or bust, right guys?" in the midst of the typical celebration posts we have during wins, you'd immediately assume they're being sarcastic.

You would want that guy banned?

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
And every time he does it’s annoying. I’m not trying to be clever, if someone comes in and says we’re a good team my first instinct isn’t to tell them to f*** off. Maybe yours is. Oh well.
You can act like you weren't trolling all you want. Any mod here will see a post like that for what it is 100 times out of 100, and that's why you got popped.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
@Gocanes0506 just wanted to apologize for the other night. I'm currently at the most magical place on earth with my most magical in laws and being unable to take my frustrations out in person they came out the other night at you.

Wasn't cool, sorry about that. I was out of line.
Disney world?

I get those kinds of reactions from someone at Disney world? I mean I would never have such reactions while having to spend thousands of dollars and standing in lines for hours making all that money feel well spent. Unimaginable /s

Apology accepted, although I don’t like you anyways So it didn’t matter.:naughty:

If it is or isn’t disney world, my condolences on such a fun time.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Disney world?

I get those kinds of reactions from someone at Disney world? I mean I would never have such reactions while having to spend thousands of dollars and standing in lines for hours making all that money feel well spent. Unimaginable /s

Apology accepted, although I don’t like you anyways So it didn’t matter.:naughty:

If it is or isn’t disney world, my condolences on such a fun time.
It's the most magical place on earth.

And the only thing that could make it more magical is to know I have to make a Friday flight in order to be at the Stadium Series game, oh yeah love how on the ball the airline industry has been.

Oh and most magical of all was watching the Super Bowl last night with the most magical of inlaws who don't know when to shut the f*** up and not actively antagonize throughout. So magical.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

And the only thing that could make it more magical is to know I have to make a Friday flight in order to be at the Stadium Series game, oh yeah love how on the ball the airline industry has been.

Oh and most magical of all was watching the Super Bowl last night with the most magical of inlaws who don't know when to shut the f*** up and not actively antagonize throughout. So magical.
Well don’t watch the Super Bowl with me then cuz I would definitely antagonize.

There are worse places to watch one, ive been to a handful. Although I dislike the disney. My wallet and i die when I go.

Reactions: Rick Davis

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Well don’t watch the Super Bowl with me then cuz I would definitely antagonize.

There are worse places to watch one, ive been to a handful. Although I dislike the disney. My wallet and i die when I go.

I can deal with banter from a bud cause you'd be able to take it back in kind. These people don't take well to receiving

As for the location, Hotel room wasn't the best, to be honest.

Especially when I could have watched it on a 75 inch 4k at home. Wah

Rick Davis

Dec 31, 2020
I know this is the running joke, but the Canes have hardly been a "we like our group" team. Since Dundon took over 5 years ago, the canes have moved on from the following players, either via trade or free agency (not counting fringe players like Zykov, PDG, etc...):

Skinner, Hanifin, Lindholm, Ryan, Rask, McGinn, Faulk, TVR, deHann, Fleury, Nordstrom, Kruger, Foegele, Wallmark, Roy, Kuokkanen, Ward, Darling, Nedeljkovic, Mrazek, McElhinny, Reimer, Ferland, Hamilton, Niederreitter, Bean, Haula, Dzingel, Edmundson, Geekie, Trocheck, Gauthier, Luoastarinen, Forsling, Lorentz, Hakanpaa, Paquette, Cole, DeAngelo, Bear, Brendan Smith, Domi, and I'm sure I missed a few.

The only players still on the roster from the time Dundon took over: Aho, TT, Staal, Slavin, Pesce, Necas (who wasn't in the NHL at the time).
I get your point but when I invoked ”We like our group”™ I was thinking more along the lines of what are we doing at the trade deadline rather than year over year roster changes. So far we have missed out on Horvat and Tarasenko. I dunno maybe that’s a good thing as I certainly don’t want to lose a generational talent like Morrow in hopes of chasing short term championship aspirations….

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I get your point but when I invoked ”We like our group”™ I was thinking more along the lines of what are we doing at the trade deadline rather than year over year roster changes. So far we have missed out on Horvat and Tarasenko. I dunno maybe that’s a good thing as I certainly don’t want to lose a generational talent like Morrow in hopes of chasing short term championship aspirations….

Yeah, I get that. But looking back, in 18-19, they swung a deal for Nino mid season.
In 2020, they traded for Skjei, Vatanen and Trocheck at the deadline.
In 2021, they traded for Hakanpaa and Paquette
In 2022, they had no cap space and traded for Domi

So in the 1st 2 of the 4 years, they made significant moves near/at the deadline, and the last 2 they made minor deals, probably more limited by cap space than anything else.

I suspect with the cap space they have now, they'll make some moves. Whether they are the moves we fans want or think are needed? Maybe not but I'll be surprised if they sit on their hands completely.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015

Take them to a White Lotus resort next time.

597FD06F-EA0E-4D4B-BDF3-295CEF6358A4.gif

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, I get that. But looking back, in 18-19, they swung a deal for Nino mid season.
In 2020, they traded for Skjei, Vatanen and Trocheck at the deadline.
In 2021, they traded for Hakanpaa and Paquette
In 2022, they had no cap space and traded for Domi

So in the 1st 2 of the 4 years, they made significant moves near/at the deadline, and the last 2 they made minor deals, probably more limited by cap space than anything else.

I suspect with the cap space they have now, they'll make some moves. Whether they are the moves we fans want or think are needed? Maybe not but I'll be surprised if they sit on their hands completely.
We could just as easily take on like 5 different 25% retention scenarios or do cap dumps for draft picks. The one thing you can be sure of is the Borg will do something. Oh, and the fact that hfboards will debate endlessly how cheap/stupid the front office is for doing Y instead of doing X.

Reactions: Rick Davis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad