Unpopular opinions thread

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
At that time 11 million was what he was worth. Any athlete who gets injured in a contract year can lose money. The team spent the extra money wisely and got a championship.He signed the contract and they moved forward. Lets not act like the 4-5 million the team saved went that far in filling out the roster. They never went over the cap. They also saved a lot of money on Thompson. That's how you build championship teams in sports with salary caps.

How can you leave a 60 win team when you are 25 and complain that they aren't trying to win? Just to come back after you manufactured 2 just to complain again? It takes a little luck and a lot of hard work to build a championship team.

Like I said, his bargain contract helped the Warriors sign key role players. And it wouldn't just be 4-5 million. It'd be 6-7, which would make a huge difference. Nobody is discrediting the Warriors for wisely spending their money. I'm just saying that the Warriors would have a harder time building team as great as they've been in the past two years if Curry was making close to $20 million after his rookie cobtract expired.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
At that time 11 million was what he was worth. Any athlete who gets injured in a contract year can lose money. The team spent the extra money wisely and got a championship.He signed the contract and they moved forward. Lets not act like the 4-5 million the team saved went that far in filling out the roster. They never went over the cap. They also saved a lot of money on Thompson. That's how you build championship teams in sports with salary caps.

How can you leave a 60 win team when you are 25 and complain that they aren't trying to win? Just to come back after you manufactured 2 just to complain again? It takes a little luck and a lot of hard work to build a championship team.

You seem to be missing the point that the only reason they won 60 games was because of LeBron. I believe they finished with the worst record the following year and drafted Kyrie.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
You seem to be missing the point that the only reason they won 60 games was because of LeBron. I believe they finished with the worst record the following year and drafted Kyrie.
Why didn't Lebron get Bosh and Wade to come to Cleveland then? Why does the best player in the league need to leave Cleveland? to make more money and live the life in Miami and manufacture a championship. Remember when Lebron changed his number the season before he went to Miami? They already retired Jordan's number. He knew he was leaving. How Shaq explained his performance against Boston in the playoffs seemed like he had his plane ticket. Oh, let's not forget "the decision". When Lebron was in Cleveland he was still a ripe player, a kid. At 23 most stars in the NBA aren't leading their team to a 60 win season.

Interesting quote from Slam

Shaq: LeBron James Never Listened to Mike Brown in Cleveland

You’re never going to believe this, but excerpts from Shaquille O’Neal’s new book pack even more titilating stories from his various stops around the NBA. The latest involves head coach Mike Brown and his former superstar forward LeBron James during their Cleveland Cavaliers days. From Hoopsworld: “O’Neal also talks about his experience in Cleveland, when the franchise was desperately trying to keep LeBron James happy. He writes that James received special treatment from Mike Brown, and wonders if Brown will have similar problems with Bryant in Los Angeles: ‘LeBron was a huge star. He was as big as I was in 2000 in L.A. when I was dominating the league. … Our coach, Mike Brown, was a nice guy, but he had to live on edge because nobody was supposed to be confrontational with LeBron. Nobody wanted him to leave Cleveland, so he was allowed to do whatever he wanted to do. I remember one day in a film session LeBron didn’t get back on defense after a missed shot. Mike Brown didn’t say anything about it. He went to the next clip and it was Mo Williams not getting back and Mike was saying, ‘Yo, Mo, we can’t have that. You’ve got to hustle a little more.’ So Delonte West is sitting there and he’s seen enough and he stands up and says, ‘Hold up, now. You can’t be *****footing around like that. Everyone has to be accountable for what they do, not just some us.’ Mike Brown said, ‘I know, Delonte. I know.’ Mike knew Delonte was right. … I’m not sure if Kobe is going to listen to Mike Brown. LeBron never really did. Here’s what we do know: Kobe will definitely be in charge.’ O’Neal also looks back on how his lone season with James came to an end, with a disappointing showing against the Boston Celtics in the Eastern Conference Semifinals. He draws comparisons between that series and James’ performance against the Dallas Mavericks in the 2011 NBA Finals: ‘There’s no question in Game 5 LeBron was kind of out of it. … I always believed he could turn it on at any moment, but for some reason he didn’t. Not against the Celtics in 2010 and not against the Mavericks in 2011. It was weird. It’s one thing to be a passer, but you are supposed to be the One. I’m watching him play against Dallas, and they’re swinging the ball and they get him a perfect open look – and he’s kicking it to Mario Chalmers. Makes no sense. I told people, ‘It’s like Michael Jordan told me. Before you succeed, you must first fail.'”
Sounds like a player who took the easy way out for an easier opportunity.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

To be fair they tanked so hard that year because they knew Miami was going to wipe the floor with the east, and even the Bulls had peak Rose at that time.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I'm s Apurs fan and I love Pop; he is a great coach but ....

He also has one of the biggest egos I've ever seen. He micromanages the hell out of everything. When the Spurs win he wants it to be because of his system not because one of his players went off. Theirs a reason why he has never taken blame for a loss ever. He'll always blame the players.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Or a missed out of bounds call on Ray Allen.....

If Kawhi hits that free throw, it's a 4 point game and Jesus Shuttlesworth hitting that three only makes it a 1 point game rather than tying it with like 4.6 seconds left or whatever it was. AKA, the Spurs only would have needed to inbound the ball for the game to effectively be over.

Also, I am still mind boggled by Ginobili's like 8 step hack n' slash travel that was called neither a travel or a foul on Miami. I don't care which way you go refs, but call something ffs. I do not know what it was, but something against the rules 100% happened on that play :laugh:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If DeRozan hasn't learned yet that you have to drive the basketball and force the refs to call a foul instead of hoping they bail you out with a ticky tack foul, he is never going to lead this team out of the east.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Teams should only be allowed to have 2 players who make more than 20 million dollars. This would disperse the top end talent around the league so teams can actually have a chance.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Teams should only be allowed to have 2 players who make more than 20 million dollars. This would disperse the top end talent around the league so teams can actually have a chance.

The league should go full fantasy mode

Every year all the players are put in a pool and drafted

It would solve the issue of NCAA players leaving school early

Players would get paid based on their draft position

Teams wouldn't get saddled with horrendous long term contracts

Teams wouldn't have to tank for multiple years in order to compete in the future

Teams in less than desirable locations such as Milwaukee and Minnesota would actually have a shot at winning titles

And the draft would be a huge television event

Sure, some players may not like it, but they'll get over it once they see their paychecks

Other than that, I really don't see a downside to it

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The league should go full fantasy mode

Every year all the players are put in a pool and drafted

It would solve the issue of NCAA players leaving school early

Players would get paid based on their draft position

Teams wouldn't get saddled with horrendous long term contracts

Teams wouldn't have to tank for multiple years in order to compete in the future

Teams in less than desirable locations such as Milwaukee and Minnesota would actually have a shot at winning titles

And the draft would be a huge television event

Sure, some players may not like it, but they'll get over it once they see their paychecks

Other than that, I really don't see a downside to it
This would be very chaotic. I want to be able to cheer for my team because I can identify with the roster. If every season their is a new roster there is no point in cheering for a specific team.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
This would be very chaotic. I want to be able to cheer for my team because I can identify with the roster. If every season their is a new roster there is no point in cheering for a specific team.

Fans cheer for their home team regardless of the names on the back of the jersey

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

GSW have one, so that still wouldn't help. :shakehead

Next year same thing, they'd have Curry and KD if he accepts his option.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
GSW have one, so that still wouldn't help. :shakehead

Next year same thing, they'd have Curry and KD if he accepts his option.
Teams who draft well get rewarded with better rosters. Pretty simple. Like in hockey you need to have good players on entry level contracts with a veteran roster to win. If you can have a team where your best 3 players are making less than 40 million it leaves you more room to sign a big names. Teams should be rewarded by drafting well.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Fans cheer for their home team regardless of the names on the back of the jersey
Sorry but I invest my time and emotions counting on a guy like Erik Karlsson to lead my team to a cup. That takes time.Why do expansion teams suck in the first year? partly due to a new team trying to learn a system for the first time. That would make for some god awful hockey.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Sorry but I invest my time and emotions counting on a guy like Erik Karlsson to lead my team to a cup. That takes time.Why do expansion teams suck in the first year? partly due to a new team trying to learn a system for the first time. That would make for some god awful hockey.

So you wouldn't tune in if it was Doughty leading the Sens in the Finals?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
So you wouldn't tune in if it was Doughty leading the Sens in the Finals?
If the Sens were a favorite and made it deep in the playoffs i would start tuning in. The novelty would wear off though for I think many people. I wouldn't really care about the regular season. Also, what makes you think that players would want to do this? Even if they could make more money why would they want to move every year? Are they supposed to bring their families to each city? Why would anyone buy jersey's anymore if that player won't be on the team next season?

Spreading out the talent would be an easier solution than what you are saying.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If the Sens were a favorite and made it deep in the playoffs i would start tuning in. The novelty would wear off though for I think many people. I wouldn't really care about the regular season. Also, what makes you think that players would want to do this? Even if they could make more money why would they want to move every year? Are they supposed to bring their families to each city? Why would anyone buy jersey's anymore if that player won't be on the team next season?

Spreading out the talent would be an easier solution than what you are saying.

I don't care if the players want to do it or not

Playing in the NBA isn't a right. If they don't like it, they can play in Europe or find another profession

The season is only what, 6 - 7 months? They can take their millions of dollars and live wherever they like in the offseason

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I don't care if the players want to do it or not

Playing in the NBA isn't a right. If they don't like it, they can play in Europe or find another profession

The season is only what, 6 - 7 months? They can take their millions of dollars and live wherever they like in the offseason
Oh, okay.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Only players selected to the All Star game can enter the 3 point shoot out, the Dunk contest, or the skills competition.

If an all-star is asked to perform in an event - like the dunk contest - and refuses to participate, he's ineligible to play in the all-star game

Call it "The LeBron James Rule"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad