OT: University/College Questions Part V

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
There are science funding issues all over the world.

Though Harper comes off as wanting to send climatologists to prison.

I know Congress has not always been kind to NSF, NIH and the DOE Office of Science (and other government civilian scientific funding).

But at least the US government doesn't come off as wanting to send climatologists to prison or to censor civilian research to the extent Canada does, hence why I decided not to apply to any PhD program in Canada.

Meh not as if there's going to be much in it. What? Probably a .pdf brochure file.. Unless they went high-budget and made videos :laugh:

I doubt it, especially since Couillard's new round of university budget cuts would force universities to re-think how to do open houses since no university is spared cuts.

Adamcrazy3

Dec 9, 2011
Montreal, Canada
HABITAT FOR HUMANITY - VOLUNTEER TRIP - McGill University
- For any McGill students here who are both humanitarians and hockey fans!
- The Central Arizona chapter is giving us free tickets to the Habs vs. Coyotes game during Spring Break!

I attached the blurb below:

"It’s that time of the year again and Habitat for Humanity is now taking applications for our annual Collegiate Challenge trip! We will be selecting a group of 15-20 students to join us in building a home for a special family in need during spring break!

APPLICATION PROCESS: http://goo.gl/forms/1dg9W069Py
- Application deadline: Monday November 3, 2015
- Interview dates: November 8-9, 2015

TRIP DETAILS
- When: Reading Week (February 28 - March 8, 2015)
- Destination: Phoenix, Arizona
- Cost: ~$500 (flight) + $400 (accommodation/food)

ITINERARY
March 2-6: Volunteer from 8:00am to 3:00pm
- 1 day off (to see local attractions - Grand Canyon, explore downtown, etc.)
- 1 day volunteering at Habitat ReStore
- 3 days at a build site (drywall, painting, etc.)

March 7: Montreal Canadiens vs. Phoenix Coyotes
- Gift from Habitat For Humanity Central Arizona

For more information, please contact us at [email protected]"

Is the game really gift? I'm pretty sure the Coyotes pay people to go watch their games.

TheAntiPrice

Oct 25, 2009
Montreal, QC
Anybody know a way to get one of those sweet free cloud storage for students from Microsoft or Google? I see "get free Microsoft office on your computer" ads all the time at concordia but have never seen or heard anything about those google drive or skydrive/onedrive offers which would be so much more useful.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
My god, how am I already in my end of semester rush? Feels like the semester started a couple of weeks ago...

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Random question, not going to bother making another thread.

Basically, company I had interview with today me had the following convo with me 2 weeks ago regarding the job:

"We'll know by Thursday November 20th"
"So if you don't call me by then I don't have the job?"
"No no, we'll call you anyway but I sometimes forget. Call me if I didn't call you"

I called and left a message. I was told the following

"hey, I'm in training, I will update you on the job Monday November 24th"

I was like...okay sure then it hit me. Is it possible they offered someone else the job and they are seeing if he accepts before rejecting me or do you think they are genuinely in need of more time?

It should be noted the HR person told me this, she's not the one who makes the decision but is the one who does the paperwork and all that.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Anobody had tips for me? Don't feel like doing a bachelor in computer science. I was wondering if an aec in integration multimedia would be a good idea. I have an aec in accounting but looks like it's not exactly my thing

Tarasenko

Unregistered User
Oct 11, 2011
Anobody had tips for me? Don't feel like doing a bachelor in computer science. I was wondering if an aec in integration multimedia would be a good idea. I have an aec in accounting but looks like it's not exactly my thing

My dad did an AEC in Network Computing and had no problem to find jobs after it with an average salary around 50k$.

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
My dad did an AEC in Network Computing and had no problem to find jobs after it with an average salary around 50k$.

I think i did acounting as I wasn't aware of aec in the Web designing programming field. I think it's definitely worth it but there is only one public school offering it and it's long. I may have to go to private and ask for loan

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I think i did acounting as I wasn't aware of aec in the Web designing programming field. I think it's definitely worth it but there is only one public school offering it and it's long. I may have to go to private and ask for loan

How did you jump from a bach to an AEC?

FWIW, Some AECs are good but it will never compare to a bachelors in the same field.

It really depends what your career aspirations are.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
How did you jump from a bach to an AEC?

FWIW, Some AECs are good but it will never compare to a bachelors in the same field.

It really depends what your career aspirations are.

I only have an aec not a.bac and i want to work in the Web Development field

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I graduated back in 2008 and for the last 6 years I've been building a pretty solid and lucrative career in finance.

I have just officially quit my job, effective January 1st, to go back to school!

Will be back at Concordia, doing a Bachelors in Computer Science, with Games as my option.

I'm super stoked, this has been a longtime dream of mine and has always kind of been my passion. I used to spend hours and hours in the computer lab in school, just playing around, making games and programs... Even as a young kid. When I was 10 I made this huge RPG using HyperCard that was popular in my school. I can't wait to get that feeling back again.

It's scary as hell to abandon your career, especially when you are doing well. I had a very solid, secure thing going in this job...Amazing retirement benefits, and my next 2 promotions were already planned and everything. I'm not quite sure yet how I will feel losing the paycheque, but in the end you got to take risks to have the life you want.

I liked my job, but I didn't LOVE my job. I do love the company, but I have never loved any one job I had here, which is why I kept busting my ass to get promoted. I always said to myself, the next position will be more fun. But it never was...It was cool for a month but got old fast. I've been working in business financing the last year, and every day I meet business owners who are extremely passionate about their work. They are inspiring people... and I want that for myself.

So Concordia, here I come (back). Definitely going to be strange to have a bunch of 18-19 year olds around me. I was around the school recently and everyone looks so damn young. And it hit me that, when I was their age, they were 8 years old.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I graduated back in 2008 and for the last 6 years I've been building a pretty solid and lucrative career in finance.

I have just officially quit my job, effective January 1st, to go back to school!...
So Concordia, here I come (back). Definitely going to be strange to have a bunch of 18-19 year olds around me. I was around the school recently and everyone looks so damn young. And it hit me that, when I was their age, they were 8 years old.

Can totally empathize both with the motivation and with being an older student (having gone back to grad school in my mid-20s, and then again in my early 30s). You may end up doing something that spans both your areas of expertise. You could end up writing computer algorithms based on gaming hardware (GPUs) for high-frequency trading, or writing visualization software for economics models.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Can totally empathize both with the motivation and with being an older student (having gone back to grad school in my mid-20s, and then again in my early 30s). You may end up doing something that spans both your areas of expertise. You could end up writing computer algorithms based on gaming hardware (GPUs) for high-frequency trading, or writing visualization software for economics models.

Yes, I am extremely excited to see how I can leverage the dual skillset I will acquire... It also helps that I have was a manager for a while and have quite a bit of sales experience and people skills.

I'm also pretty stoked to give school another go, with a different mentality. Last time my priorities were parties and girls. I never truly found school challenging and was able to get by with little studying or applying myself. The courses that WERE challenging I pretty much bombed, because I had no real motivating to do well.

I'm going to approach school like my job now. Go at it 9 hours a day, early in the morning every day. I mean I've been doing this for 6+ years now, not exactly a big adjustment. Last time I was in school, we were looking at maybe 3 hours a day, tops. Including class time. I have no idea how I passed!

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
I'm guessing you got your diploma in Finance at JMSB? If so, can you let me know what the finance courses are like? I'm considering finance, but I dread Quantitative Methods, so if finance is anything similar to what QM is, I'm definitely going to probably stick with something like Investment Management instead

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Yes, I am extremely excited to see how I can leverage the dual skillset I will acquire... It also helps that I have was a manager for a while and have quite a bit of sales experience and people skills.

I'm also pretty stoked to give school another go, with a different mentality. Last time my priorities were parties and girls. I never truly found school challenging and was able to get by with little studying or applying myself. The courses that WERE challenging I pretty much bombed, because I had no real motivating to do well.

I'm going to approach school like my job now. Go at it 9 hours a day, early in the morning every day. I mean I've been doing this for 6+ years now, not exactly a big adjustment. Last time I was in school, we were looking at maybe 3 hours a day, tops. Including class time. I have no idea how I passed!

Maturity and work ethic count for a lot. I did better in my graduate classes than my Bachelors. I also find that I was more strategic in my choice of classes later on, based on the type of research that I could envision myself doing. Perhaps we should stretch high-school over 10-12 years :sarcasm: to ensure university students have the requisite maturity.

CanuckBeSerious

Legendary Frog
Nov 1, 2011
Montréal
I'm guessing you got your diploma in Finance at JMSB? If so, can you let me know what the finance courses are like? I'm considering finance, but I dread Quantitative Methods, so if finance is anything similar to what QM is, I'm definitely going to probably stick with something like Investment Management instead

You can't go through a diploma in Finance without QM and calculus.

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec

You can't go through a diploma in Finance without QM and calculus.

Pretty much this. Finance is all about quantitative methods, especially portfolio management. You want to calculate different ratios, variance, volatility, etc. Requires good mathematics knowledge.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

My career has been in finance but my degree was actually in marketing.

There was quite a bit of QM in marketing, as most of your projects have a survey component, so you're doing a lot of data study. But between us, everyone just made the survey results up. Totally ridiculous. I don't remember QM being particularly rough though, what is it you don't like about it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad