OT: University/College Questions Part V

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
What the? They CAN do this? It would be out of question for teachers to lower grades here.

Grades are completely arbitrary. If a teacher wants to shift the grade average up and down that's fine, as long as the sorting of grades remains the same.

I remember this one teacher who would assign really hard exams, and then make the highest grade in the class equal to 100%. I thought that was clever.

Tarasenko

Unregistered User
Oct 11, 2011
Hum, is it?

One of the, not the only.
The main reason is the crap that Hockey Quebec is.

Grades are completely arbitrary. If a teacher wants to shift the grade average up and down that's fine, as long as the sorting of grades remains the same.

I remember this one teacher who would assign really hard exams, and then make the highest grade in the class equal to 100%. I thought that was clever.

Teachers could do this here too, but there aren't. It's their problem if they make their exams too easy and the average is A-. They would need to shift up grades only if they don't respect the minimum average permitted by the University, which is C or C- I think.

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
Anyone else trying for a PhD outside of Canada?

I'm aiming for US schools primarily because of logistical reasons (I found the logistics of attending a school anywhere else in the world to be too heavy) though. Are there more undergraduates at Canadian schools you know about that are trying their hands abroad for graduate study this year?

I would suspect that, because of the despicable attitude of the federal government towards the basic sciences, that basic science people would be more likely to make such a move than in the past.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Quick question, I have a job interview and I'm worried about the salary expectations question. I finish school this December and this is my first official career job if I get it so I'm worried about this question. I know the company's usual starting salary but I want 5k more. Would this put me as a "do not hire"? There's a reason I want more and it's not only money, it's because of the bracket you're in. Higher bracket and you can apply to better jobs later on within company.

Tarasenko

Unregistered User
Oct 11, 2011
Quick question, I have a job interview and I'm worried about the salary expectations question. I finish school this December and this is my first official career job if I get it so I'm worried about this question. I know the company's usual starting salary but I want 5k more. Would this put me as a "do not hire"? There's a reason I want more and it's not only money, it's because of the bracket you're in. Higher bracket and you can apply to better jobs later on within company.

Do you have any concrete experience in your field of study to explain why you would ask more?
If not, I don't see why they should pay you more than the normal folk.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Yeah, sure.

I'd say your question is totally irrelevant. First, it depends on who interviews you. For some, your "attitude" will look great, for others, it won't. Sorry.

Second, if 5k is the decicing factor... then you have to seriously review your priorities.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

My first "date"

I have a date today (coffee) with a girl hotter than me that I suspect might want to spend some time in a room after. I have never met her, ever (lol ik) ... So what would your horny awesome charming man would do to make her react positively to stuff I do?
We are both 18.

Edit: "am a simple girl that love having fun.
am a little crazy but normal for me" -her

Last edited by a moderator:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Do you have any concrete experience in your field of study to explain why you would ask more?
If not, I don't see why they should pay you more than the normal folk.

I have, just this is my first job after I would graduate.

Yeah, sure.

I'd say your question is totally irrelevant. First, it depends on who interviews you. For some, your "attitude" will look great, for others, it won't. Sorry.

Second, if 5k is the decicing factor... then you have to seriously review your priorities.

There's a specific reasons for the 5k. The way things are done if you want to apply to say a senior analyst position internally but have the pay bracket of an associate you cannot make 2 jumps(associate, analyst, senior analyst). If you have the pay level of an analyst, you can(sometimes, still no).

So the bracket I end up with affects my ability to move up. Without a straight up adjustment I may limited in jobs I can apply for 2 additional years. Really not appealing. A big thing for me is ability to move up in a company, so yah, it matters.

Also, keep in mind, 5k on 100k is peanuts, 5k on 25k isn't. I'm not making either one but suffice to say context matters. Besides, I never said it was a deciding factor. It's just a preference.

When asked I told them the following and I'm paraphrasing "Based on people I've spoken to within the company who have graduated in my field the starting salary is between X and Y. I'd like closer to Y if possible but I'm willing to negotiate".

Quite frankly, if they'd pay me less than X I'm not interested anyway. I make nearly as much as a student with government giving them incentives to pay me more. So I feel no pressure to cave in when I know their usual starting salaries.

void

Jan 5, 2006
I have a date today (coffee) with a girl hotter than me that I suspect might want to spend some time in a room after. I have never met her, ever (lol ik) ... So what would your horny awesome charming man would do to make her react positively to stuff I do?
We are both 18.

...what the **** did I just read?

Adamcrazy3

Dec 9, 2011
Montreal, Canada
We are both 18.

just say Hello, lets go to my room or I'll kill you... works every time

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Anyone else trying for a PhD outside of Canada?

I'm aiming for US schools primarily because of logistical reasons (I found the logistics of attending a school anywhere else in the world to be too heavy) though. Are there more undergraduates at Canadian schools you know about that are trying their hands abroad for graduate study this year?

I would suspect that, because of the despicable attitude of the federal government towards the basic sciences, that basic science people would be more likely to make such a move than in the past.

There are science funding issues all over the world.

Though Harper comes off as wanting to send climatologists to prison.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Hum, is it?

Yeah... I don't see it either.

Maybe it'd help to have local programs, but Hockey Québec's struggles are slightly related to that IMO. Sports Management is a pretty new domain, graduates in that domai might help better the way that organization is ran. But as someone above said, the struggles at HQ are too big and widespread to be just that.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
Anyone mind giving me more details on Investment Management? McGill's description of it is very vague, and I don't really plan or working on Wall St down the line, so It'd be good to know what exactly that program entails. Is it strictly related with the stock market? Or are we talking about managing investment opportunities/risk for firms/holding companys?

Cricket21

Aug 25, 2009
any advice if I want to get into CFA after my bachelor's degree with major of accounting?

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Anyone mind giving me more details on Investment Management? McGill's description of it is very vague, and I don't really plan or working on Wall St down the line, so It'd be good to know what exactly that program entails. Is it strictly related with the stock market? Or are we talking about managing investment opportunities/risk for firms/holding companys?

Do you know when the open house is? If yes, go and ask questions.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Meh not as if there's going to be much in it. What? Probably a .pdf brochure file.. Unless they went high-budget and made videos :laugh:

Mine was empty.. lol

Back on topic, I believe McGill has another open house in the winter, before March 1st. Worth checking out. What's great is that you can do as many uni applications as you want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad