OT: University/College Questions Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
In Quebec? Yes.

Anywhere else in the world? No.

Exactly.
Concordia Ranking 481-490 http://www.topuniversities.com/node/4165/ranking-details/world-university-rankings/2013
McGill Ranking 21 http://www.topuniversities.com/node/2292/ranking-details/world-university-rankings/2013

The comparison is almost absurd, whether the detractors like it or not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGill_University
McGill was ranked 1st in Canada among all its major/research universities in the Maclean's 23rd annual rankings (2013-2014 school year), maintaining this position for the ninth consecutive year. Internationally, McGill ranked 21st in the world and 2nd in Canada in the 2013 QS World University Rankings.[11] Bloomberg BusinessWeek's 2012 Business Schools Ranking ranked McGill's Desautels Faculty of Management 10th in the world among non-US business schools, referring to McGill University as "the #1 university in Canada and among the top 20 worldwide."[12] McGill was ranked 33rd in the world and 2nd in Canada by the 2014 Times Higher Education World University Rankings.[13] In the 2011 Emerging/Trendence Global Employability Ranking, McGill was ranked the 19th finest in the world, and 1st in Canada, for popularity among major employers.[14] In 2012, Travel + Leisure rated McGill's campus as one of the 17 most beautiful university campuses in the world in its first and only campus rankings.[15]

Detractors can pretend that these lists are contrived, but in fact they are not. A lot of this is based on quantitative metrics, which include publication records. Based on their ability to innovate and do research, McGill profs are systematically ranked very good. Many of these worldwide lists don't even factor Concordia.

Last edited:

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Detractors can pretend that these lists are contrived, but in fact they are not. A lot of this is based on quantitative metrics, which include publication records. Based on their ability to innovate and do research, McGill profs are systematically ranked very good. Many of these worldwide lists don't even factor Concordia.

I had the worst professor ever at McGill. Oh man. He was so bad, I'm pretty sure the whole class passed because our grades were curved. The class average was C :laugh:

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I had the worst professor ever at McGill. Oh man. He was so bad, I'm pretty sure the whole class passed because our grades were curved. The class average was C :laugh:

There are always outliers. There are some bad profs where I teach as well. And, truth be told, I had some lemons during my time at McGill as well :). On average, however, you can make a statistically binding statement about how unis rank against each other. Moreover, it's much more likely that McGill will have a few superstars, or positive outliers if you will, who pull up the reputation of the whole institution with their publication and funding records, thereby offsetting the passengers there, than Concordia will.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Exactly.
Concordia Ranking 481-490 http://www.topuniversities.com/node/4165/ranking-details/world-university-rankings/2013
McGill Ranking 21 http://www.topuniversities.com/node/2292/ranking-details/world-university-rankings/2013

The comparison is almost absurd, whether the detractors like it or not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGill_University
McGill was ranked 1st in Canada among all its major/research universities in the Maclean's 23rd annual rankings (2013-2014 school year), maintaining this position for the ninth consecutive year. Internationally, McGill ranked 21st in the world and 2nd in Canada in the 2013 QS World University Rankings.[11] Bloomberg BusinessWeek's 2012 Business Schools Ranking ranked McGill's Desautels Faculty of Management 10th in the world among non-US business schools, referring to McGill University as "the #1 university in Canada and among the top 20 worldwide."[12] McGill was ranked 33rd in the world and 2nd in Canada by the 2014 Times Higher Education World University Rankings.[13] In the 2011 Emerging/Trendence Global Employability Ranking, McGill was ranked the 19th finest in the world, and 1st in Canada, for popularity among major employers.[14] In 2012, Travel + Leisure rated McGill's campus as one of the 17 most beautiful university campuses in the world in its first and only campus rankings.[15]

By any chance, did you happen to attend McGill?

I find Canadians tend to truly overrate McGill's international reputation...

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
By any chance, did you happen to attend McGill?

I find Canadians tend to truly overrate McGill's international reputation...

Check my profile, and then get back to me about my ability to rate McGill's international reputation. I've worked 5 years in Tsukuba, Japan and 3 in Leipzig, Germany, while also having earned a faculty position in the US and a Green Card on the EB-1 Outstanding Professor track. I speak Japanese and German, as well as my native French and English. What about your credentials?

Moreover, what about all of these websites that rank McGill in the 20s and 30s, and Concordia either around 500 or not at all. Did I manufacture those? Did these websites put these together merely based on anecdotal evidence, as opposed to a quantitative methodology? What about your evidence that argues against this reputation?

Last edited:

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Check my profile, and then get back to me about my ability to rate McGill's international reputation. I've worked 5 years in Tsukuba, Japan and 3 in Leipzig, Germany, while also having earned a faculty position in the US and a Green Card on the EB-1 Outstanding Professor track. I speak Japanese and German, as well as my native French and English. What about your credentials?

Moreover, what about all of these websites that rank McGill in the 20s and 30s, and Concordia either around 500 or not at all. Did I manufacture does? Did these websites put these together merely based on anecdotal evidence, as opposed to a quantitative methodology? What about your evidence that argues against this reputation?

Ha, are you serious, dude?

I'm a graduate student at Columbia University (SIPA), a world-renowned, Ivy League institution that last I checked, puts McGill and its overly defensive, incredibly self-important alums to shame; my professors include Nobel laureates and some of the brightest political and economic minds in the world.

How any of the above qualifies me as expert in judging any school but Columbia is a mystery, but apparently your credentials as a McGill Engineering graduate have bestowed upon you unquestioned authority to rank McGill against schools you've never attended; seriously dude, I asked you a simple question and dared suggest that McGill wasn't a global name that inspired hushed awe as soon as it was mentioned, and you launch into a personal attack against my education and credentials?

What's the matter with you?

habscup*

I'm a graduate student at Columbia University (SIPA), a world-renowned, Ivy League institution that last I checked, puts McGill and its overly defensive, incredibly self-important alums to shame; my professors include Nobel laureates and some of the brightest political and economic minds in the world.

How any of the above qualifies me as expert in judging any school but Columbia is a mystery, but apparently your credentials as a McGill Engineering graduate have bestowed upon you unquestioned authority to rank McGill against schools you've never attended; seriously dude, I asked you a simple question and dared suggest that McGill wasn't a global name that inspired hushed awe as soon as it was mentioned, and you launch into a personal attack against my education and credentials?

Dude, everybody knows Mcgill. It's known around the world. Always ranked in top 20 in any list. Give it up.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

Business and PolySci schools don't awe me at all. I innovate on neurosurgery simulation, neuroprosthetics, and a number of surgical devices. Masters and PhD students don't awe me at all, especially in non-scientific areas; moreover, only a fraction of those grad students have the drive and talent to become professors. Most of them are just marking time. I know: I advise and teach grad students.

Who knows, maybe you do have the drive. But your narrowly North American perspective tells me you have not seen much, and you have not said anything that counters the quantitative approach of these websites that I cited.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Dude, everybody knows Mcgill. It's known around the world. Always ranked in top 20 in any list. Give it up.

I'm not saying it's some obscure school, I'm saying I'm not sure it's an international brand name.

Also, I'd like to point out that when I say "not sure" that should be read literally, and not as a figurative way of saying "objective fact!!". I'm more than open to a discussion, but online best of lists, of which McGill is most certainly NOT "always ranked Top 20" (http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2013-14/world-ranking - ranked #35 behind UBC and UoT) aren't that convincing.

Jesus, how hard is it to have a normal exchange of ideas here?

habscup*

I'm not saying it's some obscure school, I'm saying I'm not sure it's an international brand name.

Also, I'd like to point out that when I say "not sure" that should be read literally, and not as a figurative way of saying "objective fact!!". I'm more than open to a discussion, but online best of lists, of which McGill is most certainly NOT "always ranked Top 20" (http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2013-14/world-ranking - ranked #35 behind UBC and UoT) aren't that convincing.

Jesus, how hard is it to have a normal exchange of ideas here?

Look at it more carefully, Mcgill is higher in international outlook than those schools.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Business and PolySci schools don't awe me at all. I innovate on neurosurgery simulation, neuroprosthetics, and a number of surgical devices. Masters and PhD students don't awe me at all, especially in non-scientific areas; moreover, only a fraction of those grad students have the drive and talent to become professors. Most of them are just marking time. I know: I advise and teach grad students.

Who knows, maybe you do have the drive. But your narrowly North American perspective tells me you have not seen much, and you have not said anything that counters the quantitative approach of these websites that I cited.

Ha ha, wow, seriously?

So an online list that ranks McGill as Top 20 is conclusive proof o its excellence, but those same lists putting Columbia ahead of McGill now need to be filtered by your personal evaluation of the educational curriculum?

Also, :laugh: at your bragging of prolific innovation on surgical equipment in the same post in which you denigrate people like Bhagwati, Sachs, Stiglitz, Sotomayor, and Waltz whose work has influenced decisions that have literally shaped the world; how they must pale in comparison to your unending stream of revolutionary breakthroughs!! :laugh:

You read one Internet post by me, and that's all you need to ascertain that I haven't seen much? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Do you actually wanna have a discussion, or just appeal to your own dubious authority?

Last edited:

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
I think I know what international outlook means. Thank you.

Ok, then in your opinion,why would the diversity of the staff and faculty be a better indication of the schools' global reputation than the "Research" category, which clearly lists "reputation" as one of the components?

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
I don't know much of other fields, but McGill for engineering isn't at the top, even in Canada.

Seems like the business school and the medecine/life science faculty are very good though.

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
McGill is very selective when it comes to students in Medicine. I guess it shows.

I'll take my B.Sc. and leave...

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal
I'll be attending the John Molson School of Business at Concordia in September. I'm from Vermont, and have been to Montreal enough where I know the general area. Any tips from anybody? Any pointers? My residency is at Grey Nuns.

CanuckBeSerious

Legendary Frog
Nov 1, 2011
Montréal
McGill is very selective when it comes to students in Medicine. I guess it shows.

I'll take my B.Sc. and leave...

They have a weird way of selecting their students. My med school friends at UdeM got accepted everywhere except McGill, while my McGill friends only got accepted at McGill (rejected at UdeM, Laval and Sherby).

Randomhero

Sep 13, 2008
They have a weird way of selecting their students. My med school friends at UdeM got accepted everywhere except McGill, while my McGill friends only got accepted at McGill (rejected at UdeM, Laval and Sherby).

Correct me if I'm wrong but Med schools probably look for applicants who best "fit" their program based off interviews, essays, ethics tests, etc. Different schools probably look for different qualities in applicants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad