OT: University/College Questions Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batali Crocs*

I wonder how they convinced that clown Dubois to change his mind considering a few days ago he said he wanted to eliminate tuition. He probably got his education paid from the government. No way a person does a complete 180 just like that.

habitue*

I wonder how they convinced that clown Dubois to change his mind considering a few days ago he said he wanted to eliminate tuition. He probably got his education paid from the government. No way a person does a complete 180 just like that.

It's called "negotiation strategy"... He's getting waht he really hoped for.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal

GND is a "chargé de cours", not a student.

canadiansbronco

Jun 10, 2011
So, any words on the details? It's almost 20h10 and I can't find them anywhere.

The tuition hike is still in effect but they created some kind of university watch program that will look at the way the founding is spend and will use the money saved and redistribute to student ( not sure about how that works...). they are also lowering some administrative fees, called frais inférent in french

It's on LCN right now

Last edited:

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
My reading of the deal is that it basically give the ball to the universities. If they can manage to cut some of their expense (through the "watch program") then the tuition won't be raised at much. But in the end, it won't be the government problem anymore if this "watch program" end up failing.

canadiansbronco

Jun 10, 2011
My reading of the deal is that it basically give the ball to the universities. If they can manage to cut some of their expense (through the "watch program") then the tuition won't be raised at much. But in the end, it won't be the government problem anymore if this "watch program" end up failing.

that's my understanding also, it could either go up like it couldn't. It also so seems that the student leaders will have to prove or show the watch program where they can cut and it needs to e approved by the rest of the commitee.

RoyBoyCoy

Habs and Rugby
Feb 17, 2008
Lennoxville, QC

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/quebec-raises-tuition-but-students-wont-pay-more-in-tentative-deal/article2424035/

So tuition goes up, funding for non-academic activities and services gets cut, yet protestors claim some sort of victory over the government. Narrow-minded idiot protestors really don't see that they've done more damage than good, so set on a single goal which they also failed to accomplish. :shakehead

I don't think it's a bad trade short term because it will force universities to manage their money better but if it doesn't get results students will have to get ready and pay for their education what it deserves.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Students will be probably be protesting in next year if they don't end up saving in administration fees.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Good that it's putting some form of accountability on the school's budget but at same time this has limited potential. You can only cut so much.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Good that it's putting some form of accountability on the school's budget but at same time this has limited potential. You can only cut so much.

Yup. Also did the article mention that some student services could be cut? I don't see how that benefits students. Hey, as long as some sort of concession was made.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal

True. But lets remember the student's last offer last week: to completely replace the tuition hikes by cuts "dans le gras". They even gave numbers to show how it was doable. Anyone with any kind of experience knew this was complete crap - you can't just go and make arbitrary cuts like that without careful deliberations, and a lot of stuff can easily look superfluous until you actually consider it carefully . The government knew it was crap, and I guess the students probably also knew, but they also thought it was something that would sell well with their supporters (and it did).

Except that now, this new deal links the amount of money cut from the university budgets with the hikes. The associations can't just claim they won't be able to cut enough... when they said exactly the opposite just the week before! They basically screw themselves. Either accept this concept (while knowing the recurring cuts you'll truly be able to make in the end are going to pale compared to the hikes) or admit they were hypocrite all along.

The only party here who doesn't lose is the government. They raise the education budget by the exact same amount they expected in the beginning. Any amount subtracted from the hikes will be from already existing university expenses! The university administrators must be maaaad this morning: suddenly, they are the one who will have to deal with zealous and eager students meticulously inspecting all their expenses. Since the beginning of the strikes, they were nowhere to be found, happy to leave the government do their dirty job. Not anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad