Unexpectedly Good Players

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Is there anything more satisfying than a late pick turning into a star?

For a 5th round pick Zach Hyman turned out pretty well.

Funny side thought. How many times has a teams last pick been better than it's first I wonder?

Leafs in 2013 is one example. Andreas Johnsson in the 7th round, Freddy Gauthier in the 1st

Reactions: Tripod

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Marino for one. I didn’t much care that he refused to sign. It’s unfortunate but I never expected him to be as effective in Pittsburgh as he was. Especially that quickly.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The most underrated player in hockey right now is Matt Roy, a seventh rounder in 2015. He's creeping up into 1D territory.

Cal Petersen too. 5th round pick by the Sabres and they didn't/couldn't sign him and this year he has been one of the best goalies in the league.

I have him in my fantasy league and if it came to it I would drop Carter Hart over CP.

I think he has given up 4 goals in one game the rest are 3 or under.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Colin Blackwell, Jesper Fast, and Anton Stralman for the Rangers.

Even though he was a 1st round pick, man, did Torts ever save Brian Boyle's career along with Stralman. I believe Stralman had been a training camp cut by the Devils before he latched on with the Rangers and was surely on his last legs in this league.

And speaking of legs, Boyle could barely stand on his when he was on the ice. A bender would not even accurately describe how bad of a skater Boyle was when he first got to the Rangers. He was the softest goofiest 6'7" person in the history of 6'7" people. A criminal waste of size.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Neal Pionk, Undrafted college UFA, had no idea what to expect when he was traded for Trouba but many were pretty underwhelmed. Basically the Jets best defenseman now (yeah maybe that isn't saying much, but still) and quietly having a strong offensive season, 15 points, 8th in defenseman scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad