Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I like this. It's being reported Butcher isn't looking for a guaranteed NHL spot. It can let some hope he signs with Montreal live.

I seem to recall his skating not being that good so I'm not really surprised as I don't think he could play in the NHL unless it's on a bottom feeder.

I still think Boland would be a great guy to at least invite to camp. He's got skill.

with the rookie camp only a few weeks away we should be hearing soon who they are going to invite.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/07/26/scouting-will-butcher-college-free-agent/

LWOH did a scouting report on Butcher a few weeks back if people are curious, they're quite high on his pro upside. Personally I do like him, although I wouldn't go so far as to pencil him in the opening day roster right away. He's better than Mike Reilly at the very least in my book, his offensive game is a lot more dynamic.

I seem to recall his skating not being that good so I'm not really surprised as I don't think he could play in the NHL unless it's on a bottom feeder.

I saw a lot more of Denver U a few years back when Didier was still there but from the couple games I ended up seeing on TSN in 16-17 his mobility is fine. He's more agile than speedy but I don't see it being an issue.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Personally I do like him, although I wouldn't go so far as to pencil him in the opening day roster right away. He's better than Mike Reilly at the very least in my book, his offensive game is a lot more dynamic.

I saw a lot more of Denver U a few years back when Didier was still there but from the couple games I ended up seeing on TSN in 16-17 his mobility is fine. He's more agile than speedy but I don't see it being an issue.

Not sure, I think Reilly might be better, certainly the better NCAAer by ppg.

Reilly - 89 pts, 117 games, .76 ppg
Butcher - 103 pts, 158 games, .65 ppg

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yeah he's an absolute ****ing idiot if he doesn't make an attempt.

This and the Shipachev nonsense just infuriates me.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Spoiler alert or just a bag given to him by the Sabres org after he visited with them?

It's hard to say, they might have just given him some swag to take with him while he was there. It's legal now that his college career is over :laugh: . In any case Buffalo would be a pretty good spot for him, he'd have a good chance of making the opening day lineup.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

So NBC Sports reports Butcher will announce who he will sign with on Sunday. Slava Malamud tweeted that he hears one team can be crossed off his list but won't say who to protect his sources. He then hashtags Sabres. I don't know if he means Sabres is the team that is out of the running or if they are the choice.

I would think he means Sabres are out because he says one team can be crossed off. If he means Sabres are the choice, then that would mean two teams are out of the running since Vegas and New Jersey were reportedly hard after him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Did Montreal actually make a pitch for Butcher??

I'd be surprised if they did. He's undersized and his skating/speed aren't great, he is likely headed for the AHL. The Habs have Taormina, perhaps Morrow or Jerabek, Redmond, Juulsen, Lernout plus Bourque. While they have a need for LD prospects, what they really need a quality ones that are a year or two away from the AHL imo.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
I'd be surprised if they did. He's undersized and his skating/speed aren't great, he is likely headed for the AHL. The Habs have Taormina, perhaps Morrow or Jerabek, Redmond, Juulsen, Lernout plus Bourque. While they have a need for LD prospects, what they really need a quality ones that are a year or two away from the AHL imo.

Thanks! That's my understanding too. No place for him here

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
He isn't very good...

His advanced stats in Ottawa suggest he played well but was unlucky a bit.

Then he went to Russia and lit it up in the KHL.

He also lit it up at the World Championships despite having no other real talent on his team.

He's worth the gamble on a one-year deal IMO.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Tyanulin I actually know fairly well since he played in Ottawa. There was a time when he was expected to be a top prospect and he was a bit of a disappointment with the 67's relative to the very high expectations but he's got a ton of skills offensively. He's very on and off though, when he's cold he's basically non existent. He's very small too, 5ft9 ish and with a slight frame. A real boom or bust type.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I've been watching a few Kalpa games lately and one guy that has really caught my eye is Alex Lavoie. He's fast and creative offensively and he's got a very good motor on him, always moving his feet. Not the biggest guy but not small either. He was second in scoring in the Allsvenskan last year and looks to be one of the top forwards with Kalpa in the Liiga this year. I don't know what his plans are but at only 24 he could be open to coming back to north america after this year. I'll definitely keep an eye on him. His stats in his CHL days don't particularly jump at me but he might just be a late bloomer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig