Undo one trade to fix a current problem with your team

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
As much as I hate to say it and flat out know he wouldn't be near as motivated a player if he had stayed here, the Canes have a huge hole down the middle of their lineup since the Eric Staal trade. It was the right move, but not bringing him back as a UFA has really shot the team in the foot since then.

If we're going even further back, Ladd for Ruutu. He was advertised as being able to play center (he couldn't), and Ladd was showing some strong production with increased ice time before he was shipped out. That trade and then the refusal to sell Ruutu (and Gleason) at the deadline a few years later put the Canes in the current state of mediocrity that they've been in for nearly a full decade now.

Reactions: RodTheBawd

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
the irony is that Kris Russell has less value than an actual 4x4

weathershield-pressure-treated-260691-64_300.jpg
Yet he would still be top 4 in Vancouver.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Lots of options here:

Leddy + Johnsson for Barker... Suter/Spurgeon/Leddy/Brodin top 4D, possibly leads to us taking Forsberg over Dumba in 2012.

Burns for Setoguchi + Coyle + 1st... Knowing what Burns became, it would be hard to turn down a Suter/Burns top pair, but if we would've picked the right guy with the 28th pick (Rakell, Saad and Kucherov were on the board), then I'd probably keep it as is.

Scandella + Pominville for Foligno + Ennis... Cap savings trade, but both Foligno and Ennis have been underwhelming to say the least. Our success in prior years was from our d-corps and adding Scandella back would help that. Pominville would be a reliable vet for bottom 6 that has been in flux since the beginning.

I'll go with the Leddy deal.

Meh, i'll go with the Scandella/Pommer trade. Anything that undoes that Foligno contract.

member 147413

Kessel for 2 1sts (Seguin and D.Hamilton) and a 2nd (C.Knight) I think?

Seguin and Hamilton would make us one of, if not the top team in the league right now. (If we’re Ignoring revisionism and any domino implications)

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
That is easy for Detroit. We don't trade a first round pick to Tampa for Kyle Quincey. Then we use the pick to draft Vasilesky.

Detroit goaltending fixed.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Pretty easy for Washington. Trading Forsberg for a bag of pucks. Forsberg w/ Kuznetsov or Backstrom would be delightful. Then again, probably we probably wouldn't have unloaded Brouwer for Oshie if we had Foppa so maybe not all bad?

Also, would like to see what Vegas wanted in return for not selecting Schmidt. Not making that trade could have been a huge mistake. Schmidt, Orlov, and Djoos on the left side would be pretty great.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
If it has to be a trade, and I'm taking into account the consequences, the closest is probably Despres for Lovejoy. Pens didnt do jack that year in the postseason, and its possibly they still make a cup run with Despres on the blueline the next year, instead of Lovejoy. Then again, he was fairly important the following spring so even that one doesnt really wash.

If we're talking about all player moves, the answer is obvious. Derrick Pouliot in the 2012 draft. It couldve been Trouba/Forsberg/Ceci/Terevainen/Hertl/Vasi, etc, and Olli Maatta coming out of that draft. Any one of those players would have been fantastic.

Undo the 2015 1st (16th OA) for Perron.

Barzal would be the pens 3C.

That's a fine answer in a vacuum.

But without losing that pick, you dont get Hagelin for Perron. And then you dont get the perfect third wheel for Bones and Kessel. And you dont get the first cup and (probably) not the second either.

Barzal is a stud and all, but I'm okay with knowing we missed out on him but probably 2 cups as a result. The one for Pouliot just never got us anything.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Ennis + Foligno for Scandella + Pominville. When healthy we'd be..

Zucker - Koivu - Granlund
Nino - Staal - Coyle
Parise - Eriksson Ek - Pominville
Stewart - Cullen - Winnik

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Dumba
Scandella - Reilly/Prosser/Olofsson

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
griffin reinhart for the 16th pick

that pick was Matt Barzal
That one only works if the Oilers drafted Barzal, and I think the rumors were that they were highest on Eriksson-Ek. Still would rather him over Reinhart, but we can't say Barzal when the team probably would have been dumb enough to pass on him anyway.

The simple answer to this one is Eberle for Strome. I think Eberle needed to go to have his return to form and we would have had to move him eventually, but we are still missing his scoring.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
there was simply no room for him at the time he was dealt but william karlsson would be a nice fit with the ducks right now

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Secondary scoring:
Undo Matt Barzal+33rd overall for Griffin Reinhart

Oh hey would you look at that, 2 of the worst trades of the 21st century (another being the Seguin trade) are from the same idiot GM, also responsible for gems like Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome, and Kris Russell for 4x4.
Russell is earning his 4 this season aside from that fluke own goal that cost us the game against Toronto, and he earned his salary last season. I don't like the NTC, but he's earning the salary.

member 105785

Yet he would still be top 4 in Vancouver.

Tanev, Edler, Hutton, Del Zotto

I wish he was, then maybe we could get a decent tank going, maybe get 4 or 5 1st overall picks, get the 2nd best player in the world, yet somehow we're still doing better than Edmonton despite people pegging them as a cup contender and the Canucks at another bottom 5 finish... maybe if we had some more top 4 defenders who could score on their own net whenever we were in a close game.... really stop us from getting those points...

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Tanev, Edler, Hutton, Del Zotto

I wish he was, then maybe we could get a decent tank going, maybe get 4 or 5 1st overall picks, get the 2nd best player in the world, yet somehow we're still doing better than Edmonton despite people pegging them as a cup contender and the Canucks at another bottom 5 finish... maybe if we had some more top 4 defenders who could score on their own net whenever we were in a close game.... really stop us from getting those points...

When you have Del Zotto in your top four, you don't get to criticize other teams top 4. Lidstrom scored on his own goal once too by the way. One play doesn't define a player. And don't worry, the Canucks are still on their way to a bottom five finish. They'll fold like a 5 dollar lawn chair after Christmas.

member 105785

When you have Del Zotto in your top four, you don't get to criticize other teams top 4. Lidstrom scored on his own goal once too by the way. One play doesn't define a player. And don't worry, the Canucks are still on their way to a bottom five finish. They'll fold like a 5 dollar lawn chair after Christmas.

Del Zotto has been downright good this year, his S% is a miserable 1% but he's getting the 2nd most ice time on the team right now, he's putting together a solid year

Also the focal point shouldn't be how the Canucks are slightly better than people thought, it was that the Oilers are horrendously mismanaged and Chia has turned them from a cup contender into a bottom feeder by saddling the team with bad contracts and even worse trades

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Del Zotto has been downright good this year, his S% is a miserable 1% but he's getting the 2nd most ice time on the team right now, he's putting together a solid year

Also the focal point shouldn't be how the Canucks are slightly better than people thought, it was that the Oilers are horrendously mismanaged and Chia has turned them from a cup contender into a bottom feeder by saddling the team with bad contracts and even worse trades
The Oilers aren't being mismanaged. Not severely anyway, Chiarelli gambled on Strome taking a bigger role, but that's really the only criticism you can make about his offseason. The Eberle trade was fine, he had to be traded and had next to no value. His only horrendous trade has been the Reinhart one. Hall for Larsson has worked out for us. Talbot for picks is nothing but a win. Kassian for nothing, win. Maroon at 50% for nothing, win. Signing Benning and Caguilla as free agents, win. Signing Lucic, win. Signing Russell, its a wash only because of the NTC. Draisaitl signing, win. McDavid signing, win. We've had a disappointing start to the year, but that comes down to special teams mostly. The rest of the team has turned the corner, its just our special teams holding us back. A slow start does not a bottom feeder make, there is a lot of hockey to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad