Undo one trade to fix a current problem with your team

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Can we undo a trade and assume that we would have drafted a certain player with the pick we traded?

In 2014 we had the opportunity to pick David Pastrnak or Robby Fabbri but we traded down to 28th and picked Nikolay Goldobin. Can I undo that trade and then assume we pick David Pastrnak?

Aside from that one, I can't really think of a single trade we made that would change much of our fortunes if we cancelled it. The Sharks aren't a very good drafting team, so there aren't really many players that we drafted, traded, and currently miss. I guess, if we can't undo the 20th for 28th+ trade, I would undo Jannik Hansen for the aforementioned Nikolay Goldobin. This would ditch a 30 year old who has been a healthy scratch and has 0 goals and 2 assists in 20 games and replace him with a young forward who has the potential to be a very good scorer.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Andy McDonald for Doug Weight was the first one that came to mind. Chris Kunitz for Ryan Whitney was another. More recently, I'd reverse the "Wild Bill" Karlsson for Wisniewski and the Maroon for salary retention and a bag of pucks swap. Hell, Palmieri for a couple picks as well. If I had to pick one though, it's the Andy Mac trade.

edit- Oops, I failed on the "fix a current problem with the team" part of this. I'll go with the Karlsson trade then to beef up our center depth.

Last edited:

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
While relatively "minor," if the Leafs had Stralman.....damn, not a massive upgrade, as I'm sure Babs would probably sit Reilly to play Polak anyways, but if someone told Babcock it's either Polak or his son Zach and we had Stralman playing between the 3-5....we'd be well improved.

All that assumes that somehow with him everything stays constant, it'd also be awesome to see Kessel-Bozak-Marner as I feel Phil compliments Mitch far more than JVR.

Although that line would be dangerous I would rather have Matthews and I assume you would too. Keeping Kessel would have made us good enough to pick 8th-15th in the 2016 draft. I assume we would have drafted Sergechev, McCavoy or Bean. Unless we would have caught Jets luck and moved to second. Laine-Bozak-Kessel

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Although that line would be dangerous I would rather have Matthews and I assume you would too. Keeping Kessel would have made us good enough to pick 8th-15th in the 2016 draft. I assume we would have drafted Sergechev, McCavoy or Bean. Unless we would have caught Jets luck and moved to second. Laine-Bozak-Kessel

OP said everything else stays the same, but yeah Matthews>>>>>Kessel+Top 15 prospect XYZ AINEC

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Goligoski for Neal and Niskanen is still one trade I wish the Stars had taken a little more time to think about.

Also, if they had taken ANYONE over Scott Glennie at 9th, back in 2009, that would've been neat.

I know, hindsight's 20/20 and all but even back then it was seen as a reach. What a bust. :shakehead

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Funny that the OP mentions trading Leddy as a mistake for the Blackhawks that would fix a current problem, as I'd say not trading Leddy to the Blackhawks would fix a Wild problem. Seems everyone who trades that kid regrets it.

member 105785

Secondary scoring:
Undo Matt Barzal+33rd overall for Griffin Reinhart

Oh hey would you look at that, 2 of the worst trades of the 21st century (another being the Seguin trade) are from the same idiot GM, also responsible for gems like Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome, and Kris Russell for 4x4.

the irony is that Kris Russell has less value than an actual 4x4

weathershield-pressure-treated-260691-64_300.jpg

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
here's one people have forgotten about except us Kings fans....

LA Kings trade back from 12OA to 13OA and select Colton Tuebert........ instead of Erik Karlsson... could have ended up with ....

Drew Doughty
Erik Kalrsson
Slava Voynov

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
here's one people have forgotten about except us Kings fans....

LA Kings trade back from 12OA to 13OA and select Colton Tuebert........ instead of Erik Karlsson... could have ended up with ....

Drew Doughty
Erik Kalrsson
Slava Voynov

That's a bad pick, not trade.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Not that it would really fix anything but a 1st for Kyle f***ing Quincy. Nothing has been too egregious or would have any effect on the dumpster fire that is this roster. Only feather in Hollands cap the last decade has been not making overtly terrible trades. But only because he's mortified of taking chances.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
That's a bad pick, not trade.

You could go with Martin Jones, Colin Miller and 13OA for mIlan Lucic.... Kings were set on Mathew Barzal at 13 if they kept the pick...
Barzal could have offset the injury to Carter
Miller would have helped solidify our bottom 4
Jones would have gotten us a pick that probably would have been traded lol

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Focusing on recent trades, undoing Reilly Smith for a 4th would help with the Panthers abysmal depth at wing and allow Trocheck and Barkov to play more reasonable minutes by having another solid penalty killer.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Gotta be Lucic. Losing that 1st stings. Barzal, Connor and Boeser all taken shortly thereafter.

Right idea with some of the right pieces, wrong player and wrong time (as good as he was for LA that year.)

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This is quite a confusing thread for Lightning fans.

Oh screw you! Ken "Veteran Presence" Holland trading his first (19th Overall) for KYLE QUINCEY.

Vasilevsky was taken with the pick. Maatta picked at 22, Schmaltz at 25. Any could've helped our current situation.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Are we assuming in this scenario that the trade is just undone but the impact on the teams roster stays the course as it did in actual history? (i.e Leafs wouldn't have Matthews without trading _____)

If so...

1st, 1st, 2nd for Phil.

Leafs bring in Seguin, Hamilton and Knight. Add Hamilton to the blueline and adding Seguin would open up lots of options for improving again through trade (not necessarily Seguin but it might make a Nylander expendable, etc)

Reactions: jklimmy

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
I'd reverse the trade which was William Karlsson for Wisniewski... I would have also kept Palmieri

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad