Tribute Underrated Sens of the past

JMACole

Jun 27, 2020
PEI
I guess you could also call this thread forgotten players from the past who weren’t half bad.
One player that I don’t remember watching because I was in college at the time was Bob Kudelski. He played parts of two seasons for the Sens from 1992-93 to 1993-94. In 90 games he had 76 points. He currently ranks 8th in franchise history for points per game. He scored the first hat trick in team history and is tied with Alfredsson, Spezza, Heatley and Batherson for the longest goal scoring streak at 6 games.
Another player that I do remember from the 1994-95 season was Steve Larouche. In his first call up to the NHL he had 15 points in 18 games. That was all he ever played for the Senators, but he gave a little hope in a brutal season.

Reactions: Ed Wood

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Igor Kravchuk added some skill and swagger to a very young Senators defense when the team broke into the playoffs for the first time.

Scored one of the biggest goals in franchise history; the empty netter that put the devils away for the the Senators first ever playoff series win.

Also probably the best call ever from Dean Brown, back when he still gave a shit and was actually one of the better PbP guys in the game. How far that man has fallen.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Bill Mckult.

No seriously, been a sens fan for a while. I'lll name my favourite underrated players.

McGratton = finally saw Toronto's roughhousing get attention.
Hossa = he was ultimate pro and tried hard. Always got shit on for his playoff performances but he was a consumate pro. Loved seeing him win a cup.
Volchenkov = open ice hitter who was solid. Big part of our cup run.

Some other really minor guys were Corvo who essentially won two games against Buffalo; Pothier was a solid third pairing guy who had potential. Havlat never gets enough love for how amazing he was against Mark Rechi and finally the most underrated Curtis Leschyscyn or however you spell his name. He would always elevate his game in the playoffs and was one of the few guys who won a cup during our early 2000's run. Was a solid guy who i liked watching. Didnt shy away in the playoffs. Which was really the only interesting part to watch.

Alfie is the king, dont @ me

Reactions: Yak and Karly14

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One of my favourite playoff performances was Mike Comrie’s series against Pittsburgh in the first round of the 2007 playoffs.

He ended up with a nagging injury and couldn't contribute at the same level past that series, but still had a few moments later on.

I remember calling him Mighty Mouse because he was everywhere, hitting everything, speed, offence.

He also:
-Knocked the net off at a crucial moment against the Sabres in Round 3 with just slightly more than 5 minutes left in the game, sending their fans into a tizzy

-Was acquired for the criminally overhyped Alexei Kaigorodov, whom HF Sens had pencilled in as our #2 C before playing a single game in the NHL

Last edited:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Glad to see Volchenkov's gotten some love in here. Man was a shot-blocking android while he was here. A second goalie patrolling the blue line.

One of my all time favourites.

Hopefully our young guys can one day be as good a d-core as

Chara-Redden
Phillips-Volchenkov

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Another guy I always liked and couldn't figure out what the team's problem was with him was Dean McAmmond.

He had speed, some grit, you could play him on any line and he'd contribute, from #1 to #4.

And finally, I throw in a vote for Filip Kuba, who had the misfortune of eventually being named the team's Tank Commander but for a few years he was as solid as they come.

I loved his little flick wrister from the point that took no time to unleash, as opposed to these giant wind-ups that other defencemen would attempt only to get blocked by the incoming forward.

He was also not a huge hitter, but a great pinner. One on one, he simply pinned the guy and did his job.

He also was a good mentor and support for Erik Karlsson in his initial forays into the NHL.

Filip Kuba a perfect fit for Erik Karlsson on Ottawa Senators' defence

Reactions: Sensators

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I dont remember much about him but I just wanted to write Chris Herperger. One of the best last names to come through here.

Reactions: DrEasy

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I found in his short time here that Shean Donovan was a wicked player, never really got the love he deserved, I have a feeling his underlying numbers were off the chart. Felt like he could have been in a more offensive role given the chance here, which sounds ridcolous looking at his stats.

Reactions: Sensators

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Matt Cullen was one of the best players for us in the 2010 playoffs, and probably the best trade deadline rental we've ever acquired

He led the team in goals, points, time on ice, and was one of our top PKers.

Reactions: robsenz and NyQuil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad