Underrated: Kris Letang is Elite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think the problem with Letang (in comparison with the other "elite" defensemen) is Kris' lows tend to be lower than those other guys. It just seems that when Letang is off his game, he can look awful. When the other elite guys are off their game, they simply look average.

When Letang's at his best, however, he's right there with the best in the NHL.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think we are just more critical of our own guy than the others. We notice Letang's mistakes. But Letang is still the best d-man on the ice on a lot of his "off" nights. While our board was saying Letang was struggling in the Tampa series GDTs, Tampa fans were saying the same about Hedman. It happens to everyone, not just Letang.

Health has kept Letang out of the elite discussion more than anything imo. He hasn't had a healthy season since 2010-2011.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Hedman was terrible the game after Letang was terrible in the Tampa series. Really, Hedman wasn't very good the last two games of our series.

Every Montreal game I've went to at Consol, Subban is getting benched and making stupid ass plays.

I don't think Letang is the best D-man in the league. But he's certainly right up there with those two for me.

You can't get around him one on one, and he's a one man breakout.

Reactions: Brandinho

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I really hope we get a full season from Letang under Sully. He was the best D-man in the league after Sully took over imo.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
When he pulls his head out of his ass? Yes he is one of the best in the game... Period. You do not draw Coffey comparisons by commentator, other players, and fans alike with out being a damned good defenseman... BUT... When he is off, my God can he be bad. I'm just glad his game has relatively gotten a bit more consistent over the years. Maybe some of the out cry over that contract he was given made him buckle down a bit or maybe it's simply maturity... Don't know.

An average Letang, which is what you get one most nights is without a doubt a top pair defenseman. The Letang you get maybe 15 games a season is something incredible that can have you on the edge of your seat for an entire hockey game...

But also 15ish games a year you get the Letang that doesn't know his right from his left...

In the end, I was infuriated with his contract when it was initially signed. How he has matured a bit and gotten a semblance of consistency I have become neutral on the deal. Not a good or bad contract...

All said... I'm glad he is a Pen and I hope he retires one, and I REALLY, hope he gets at least one Norris before he hangs them up.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Doesn't get nearly enough credit for what he does. Geno and Sid obviously play a big role in that, but untimely injuries and illness did too. When all is said and done, the HHOF will have a hard time not inducting him. His stats among his peers will speak for themselves when the time comes.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
most underrated player in the entire league...

Not sure about that, I'd put true top level of Shattenkirk or Benn as more underrated. Most certainly one of the top underrated players... But the most? I respectfully disagree, most of the league fans have Tanger down to what I said above.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think we are just more critical of our own guy than the others. We notice Letang's mistakes. But Letang is still the best d-man on the ice on a lot of his "off" nights. While our board was saying Letang was struggling in the Tampa series GDTs, Tampa fans were saying the same about Hedman. It happens to everyone, not just Letang.

Health has kept Letang out of the elite discussion more than anything imo. He hasn't had a healthy season since 2010-2011.

Yep. In almost every instance when Letang's name ended up on the trade board, it was always the other teams fans *****ing about his health and how they wouldn't pay that much for someone who'd only play X games a season.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
In the end, I was infuriated with his contract when it was initially signed. How he has matured a bit and gotten a semblance of consistency I have become neutral on the deal. Not a good or bad contract...

All said... I'm glad he is a Pen and I hope he retires one, and I REALLY, hope he gets at least one Norris before he hangs them up.

Based on the contracts other top D are signing, I'm more than happy with his contract. Is it Josi great? No. But it's far from a bad contract. He's a number 1D getting paid on the lower end of the scale of what those guys get paid.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
If you really think Letang's lows are lower than other "elite" defenseman just watch the game seven performance of Weber and Josi against San Jose. They basically lost that game on theirselves.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
If you really think Letang's lows are lower than other "elite" defenseman just watch the game seven performance of Weber and Josi against San Jose. They basically lost that game on theirselves.

Every dman has their lows where they just look awful. It's not just a Tanger thing. I've seen Subban, Karlsson and Keith all go full ****** during games.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Letang does look bad when he's off, but he also has an issue with taking poorly timed penalties and making borderline dangerous plays. He's definitely up there with the best, but I think these hold him back from constantly being part of that pack.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Canada made a mistake not picking one of Letang/Subban, but they are so ridiculously stacked up front, it probably won't matter.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Canada made a mistake not picking one of Letang/Subban, but they are so ridiculously stacked up front, it probably won't matter.

It might bite them against Sweden. Sweden's blue line is better, IMO. And they have a couple really good lines up front. The Sedins and Eriksson mesh as well as you'd imagine. And PH is lighting it up with Backstrom and Forsberg.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Letang does look bad when he's off, but he also has an issue with taking poorly timed penalties and making borderline dangerous plays. He's definitely up there with the best, but I think these hold him back from constantly being part of that pack.

Which pack? Doughty, Keith, and probably Karlsson are the only three guys I would say could be put into a tier above Letang. And I'm not even sure I agree with those three. But I don't even see an argument for anybody else being clearly ahead of Letang.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He's better than most people will ever care to admit, haters here and hates outside of the fan base. It's so clear when he's hurt and out long term that he's one of the biggest driving forces on the Penguins. When Sid or Geno are hurt, the team adjusts and plays a tighter game to make up for the loss of offense and they're now better equipped to handle the losses with better depth.

But with Letang, you lose him and you see just how weak the depth is and also just how important he is to the team's entire make-up/style/everything.

In terms of importance for me, it's Letang, Crosby, then Malkin. By who you lose and how it hurts the team.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Which pack? Doughty, Keith, and probably Karlsson are the only three guys I would say could be put into a tier above Letang. And I'm not even sure I agree with those three. But I don't even see an argument for anybody else being clearly ahead of Letang.

Karlsson is the best offensively - That's about ****ing it.
Doughty is fairly solid offensively and defensively but he's good at both, not exceptional at either.
Keith is amazing at the defense part of the game, offensively he's fairly good.

Letang is exceptional offensively, just under Karlsson, and he's on the level of Doughty and just under Keith defensively.

To me it's Keith, Letang, Karlsson, and then Doughty. That's not even being some homer about it, that's looking at each players skills and what they bring to the table. I like Doughty, but I feel like he gets sheltered by his partner a lot as well, Letang is switched with partners so often he rarely gets that benefit, when he messes up, it's more visible it seems. Karlsson is always anchored with a stand out defensive defenseman and Keith is always with a guy that covers his ass too.

Letang? Not so much.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think that's the real kicker is that Letang has done what he has in his career without ever having a legitimate top four defenseman on his side outside of Martin for like a year.

Doughty has Muzzin
Keith has Seabrook
Karlsson has Methot

Letang has.. Eaton.. Orpik at 34.. uh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad