Underpaid , OK , Overpaid your players team

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Would you guys consider McDavid underpaid or fair?

It’s so weird how this works, compared to Marner, Eichel, Karlsson I would say he is underpaid.

But it could also be the case of other players being overpaid and McDavid being paid fairly.

IMO it would only make sense for the value of the best players in the game to be paid close to the max contract, anything less than that is underpaid.

McDavid's impact on the game is almost definitely worth more than the max AAV under the cap, so he is underpaid.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
McDavid's impact on the game is almost definitely worth more than the max AAV under the cap, so he is underpaid.

Well not necessarily, if McDavid was getting paid 12.5 while those in his peer group (Matthews, Eichel, Marner) were getting paid 7-8m, I think that would be paying him fairly even if a max contract was 20m/year.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Would you guys consider McDavid underpaid or fair?

It’s so weird how this works, compared to Marner, Eichel, Karlsson I would say he is underpaid.

But it could also be the case of other players being overpaid and McDavid being paid fairly.

IMO it would only make sense for the value of the best players in the game to be paid close to the max contract, anything less than that is underpaid.

100% underpaid. Tavares had multiple offers for 11+ million. McDavid makes 12.5 mill.

How much you think mcdavid would make if there was no maximum contract limit and he was an FA tomorrow? I could see someone paying him 20 mil tbh.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Overpaid:
PK Subban (tho by far less than he seemed last year)

OK:
everyone else

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I'm not doing the whole team but IMO notable ones for Leafs.

Underpaid:
Hyman (2.25 AAV)
Jason Spezza
Justin Holl

Ok:
Nylander
Matthews
Marner (all 3 are stars but also have big salaries. I think they are worth their deals easily though.)
Too many depth min pieces to list.

Overpaid:
Tavares (I think he is more of a 8-9M center rather than 11. He was great his first year but hasn't really dominated for stretches since)
Kerfoot (probably 1 million overpaid.)
Andersen (was great for us but if this is his new level of play then 5m is too much)

Underpaid: Jack Campbell.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Underpaid:
Hyman
Campbell
Spezza
Holl

Just right:
Muzzin
Rielly
Andersen (he's been injured all year... but he's earned his contract all these years. Time to move on though).
Brodie
Lots of other depth players

Overpaid:
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
(Look... I know they're all very good hockey players. But they ARE overpaid when in relation to their direct rfa comparables at time of signing. For example, when including term, Matthews is paid McDavid money. He's not McDavid tier. Look at current point totals).
Tavares (as a ufa, the market dictated his price... but he seems to be regressing much faster than many predicted)
Kerfoot
Mikheyev

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad